Professional Responsibility Question?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rbgrocio

Professional Responsibility Question?

Postby rbgrocio » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:52 pm

When is screening allowed to avoid imputation when dealing with conflicts of interest?

mikeytwoshoes

Re: Professional Responsibility Question?

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:34 pm

rbgrocio wrote:When is screening allowed to avoid imputation when dealing with conflicts of interest?

It's mostly used with 1.11 to avoid imputation of conflicts from former government attorneys to private firms. This rule allows private firms to hire government lawyers without fear of lost profits. Screening is also used where the prohibition is based on 1.9(a) or (b). However, my prof spent no time on this. I think disqualifications based on 1.9(a) or (b) are rather rare.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:41 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:When is screening allowed to avoid imputation when dealing with conflicts of interest?

It's mostly used with 1.11 to avoid imputation of conflicts from former government attorneys to private firms. This rule allows private firms to hire government lawyers without fear of lost profits. Screening is also used where the prohibition is based on 1.9(a) or (b). However, my prof spent no time on this. I think disqualifications based on 1.9(a) or (b) are rather rare.

Is screening allowed under 1.10?

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:49 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

That's where 1.9(a) or (b) comes in. See 1.10(a)(2)(i-iii).

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:18 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

That's where 1.9(a) or (b) comes in. See 1.10(a)(2)(i-iii).

Ah ok. Thanks!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”