Michigan Classes (Advice) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stinger35

Silver

Michigan Classes (Advice)

Post by stinger35 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:26 pm

I am transferring to Michigan this fall and was hoping to get some advice for classes. I know it is all subjective, but I somewhat prefer large lectures with one test over small courses (I got A's in everything except legal writing which was B and B+, people just outwork me in there...but they are curved in 1L, so, whatever). I realize my options will be pretty limited this first semester there but was hoping to take a somewhat easier schedule while I get assimilated to the school and all that.

I also will have to take two 1L courses: Criminal Law and Property. I think I will get to choose who I take them with (I know, I know, unfair) and have these options -

Crim: Thomas, Prescott, West
Prop: Kochen, Schneider, Krier

Any advice or suggestions about any of the above would be awesome.

Thanks.
Last edited by stinger35 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Re: Michigan Classes (Advice)

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:07 pm

stinger35 wrote:I am transferring to Michigan this fall and was hoping to get some advice for classes. I know it is all subjective, but I somewhat prefer large lectures with one test over small courses (I got A's in everything except legal writing which was B and B+, people just outwork me in there...but they are curved in 1L, so, whatever). I realize my options will be pretty limited this first semester there but was hoping to take a somewhat easier schedule while I get assimilated to the school and all that.

I also will have to take two 1L courses: Criminal Law and Property. I think I will get to choose who I take them with (I know, I know, unfair) and have these options -

Crim: Thomas, Prescott, West
Prop: Rochen, Schneider, Krier

Any advice or suggestions about any of the above would be awesome.

Thanks.
I had Schneider for property this semester. Here's my rundown:

The guy is clearly very bright, but he is equally old-fashioned. I got the impression he didn't care about property, and he basically tells you as much by telling you that the course is a skills course, above all else. It's a somewhat refreshing approach. We also covered very little material and he is super case-heavy (our closed-note exam was largely reciting the little law we knew and constructing arguments out of similar theories/fact patterns/opinion rationales from the cases we discussed in class). Schneider also, fortunately (or unfortunately, as you may have to learn it for the Bar - I don't know if this is true or not) doesn't care about estates and future interests, particularly the Rule Against Perpetuities. Since the RAP is generally considered the most difficult part of Property, and it is rarely (if ever) utilized these days, he had us learn a very cursory knowledge to identify those issues and then moved on. Most of class is spent on random tangents where people get to argue their theories, and he's pretty good about engaging everyone who wants to participate. Some people didn't like him and felt like wasted too much time without teaching any property. Although I feel like I didn't learn much about property, I generally enjoyed his class and I'm taking another with him this fall.

I'm not familiar with Rochen, but Krier has a very distinct personality. And by distinct, I mean that some people liken him to the professor in Paper Chase and despise him. Others love him and find his attitude extremely entertaining. It's going to depend on whether you think you'd enjoy that environment. I haven't had him, but part of me feels I'd love listening to him lecture on the reg. It all comes down to your preferences.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”