buying a bed Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sibley

Gold

Re: buying a bed

Post by sibley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:22 am

kazu wrote:First, sibley... that's a disgusting pic :( (long time no see though! How have you been?)
dominkay wrote:If you're a woman and you're shy about haggling, sitting on a bed for a while and looking forlorn has always gotten salespeople to lower the price for me.
I am so trying that.
Hey Kazu! I've been well, how about you?
And yes it's a disgusting pic! That's how your mattress you take off the side of the road is gonna look! So don't do it.

Do you think the forlorn trick works for other things? I really want a scooter. Maybe it would work better if I sat on a motorcycle and did it, to get in the salesman's good graces, THEN said I wanted a scooter.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:32 am

sibley wrote: Do you think the forlorn trick works for other things? I really want a scooter. Maybe it would work better if I sat on a motorcycle and did it, to get in the salesman's good graces, THEN said I wanted a scooter.
Ummmm dunno since I've never tried it :( I'm assuming that it'll generally work for all male salespeople though :wink:

Mattresses are so darn expensive though. Using a used one is really tempting... how common are bed bugs anyhow? I mean, as long as the mattress isn't in front of a hostel or something I'd assume the risk is really slim.

Mroberts3

Bronze

Post by Mroberts3 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:46 am

Gotta agree with SBL on this one. I picked up a used mattress from the building next door on move out day that I used for the summer and the following academic year with no problems. Sure it's possible there could be a problem, but realistically if the person using had a problem they wouldn't just leave it outside with a "free" sign on it. The odds that that happens on move out week is even lower. I think a good middle ground is craigslisting everything. Most of it won't be free, but people are desperate to get rid of large heavy furniture before they move, so you can get a good deal.

I think the gross feeling people get with a mattress is similar to using a toilet. It seems grosser if someone just came out of the restroom than it does if the stall is empty. It's essentially the same either way, but the image of someone using it right before you (or finding the mattress on the street) raises the eww factor.
Last edited by Mroberts3 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 am

Mroberts3 wrote: but realistically if the person using had a problem they wouldn't just leave it outside with a "free" sign on it.
I dunno... I'd like for that to be true, but not everyone is as nice as we'd hope them to be.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:58 am

kazu wrote:
sibley wrote: Do you think the forlorn trick works for other things? I really want a scooter. Maybe it would work better if I sat on a motorcycle and did it, to get in the salesman's good graces, THEN said I wanted a scooter.
Ummmm dunno since I've never tried it :( I'm assuming that it'll generally work for all male salespeople though :wink:
Actually, it works on (presumably heterosexual) women, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

florida13

New

Post by florida13 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:43 pm

The best thing is to buy a feather tick type of mattress top for your bed it really makes it comfortable and you can buy them non allergenic for those who have allergies. Check out the selection at overstock.com great quality for a great price and usually nice selection.

ToadGoDead

Bronze

Post by ToadGoDead » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:17 am

overstock FTW

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:56 am

There's a reason why resale of mattresses isn't legal (edit: without recertification), people. (No, it's not to protect the lucrative and nationally important mattress industry.) I've taken one before (for a guest bedroom actually--heh) but only from people I knew (and who bought it new.)

People put bedbug ridden mattresses out in the street all the time in some cities. I think (can't be assed to find it) NPR did a story recently on NYC passing an ordinance requiring people to label them as such to keep scroungers from taking them unawares.
Last edited by Duralex on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:09 am

Duralex wrote:There's a reason why resale of mattresses isn't legal, people. (No, it's not to protect the lucrative and nationally important mattress industry.) I've taken one before (for a guest bedroom actually--heh) but only from people I knew (and who bought it new.)

People put bedbug ridden mattresses out in the street all the time in some cities. I think (can't be assed to find it) NPR did a story recently on NYC passing an ordinance requiring people to label them as such to keep scroungers from taking them unawares.
I think that part of the reason for no resale is probably flammability. Mattresses are treated with something to make them fireproof (like pajamas) and it's required by law. However, if you are a curious 11 year old and you want to check out this property and you take a match to the edge of the mattress tag and the whole thing bursts into flame and immediately dies out, leaving no trace, the fireproofness is all burned out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:50 pm

California Dept of Consumer Affairs wrote: Bug Warning - Importance of Sanitizing Mattresses

Bed Bugs are becoming a common pest again – Bureau emphasis to not buy used unsanitized mattresses.

The Department of Consumer Affairs' Bureau of Home Furnishings and Thermal Insulation are reminding residents that the re-infestation of the Bed Bug might prompt families and hotel businesses to do some inspecting and cleaning. In addition, buying used mattresses or mattresses that have not been certified, could provide the perfect environment for the bug.

Bureau Chief Laura Zuniga stresses the importance of making sure you buy mattresses that have the sanitation label, "We urge consumers to check for the label, especially on mattresses being resold. Now, more than ever we need to take precautions that will ensure that we are not spreading unwanted critters."

On the East Coast, and possibly on the West Coast, there are small bed bug epidemics brewing. About 20 years ago the bed bug was no longer a problem. The scourge had been wiped out with chemicals, pesticides, purchase of new mattresses, and good cleaning standards. However, the bug has made an alarming come back.

Usually the bug is more annoying than harmful, but it could cause some painful welts from the bites, as well as itching and discoloration of the skin. The bugs invade your warm bed area and hide in cracks and crevices of the sheets, mattress and furniture – then come out at night.

What To Do - The Bureau would like to remind consumers, residents and hotels that there are precautions that can be taken to help prevent this pesky creature from spreading:

Do not buy unsanitized mattresses – there are times that mattresses are sold without being certified as being sanitized. It is the law that all mattresses resold must be sanitized BEFORE they are given to the consumer. Be careful and look for the sanitation label on the mattress before you purchase. Mattresses purchased that are unsealed can be contaminated. California Law mandates that all manufacturers, retailers and vendors be licensed by the Bureau of Home Furnishings and Thermal Insulation and follow the standards set in offering mattresses for sale. Explore the Bureau's Website for details on the laws and regulations or educational materials on what consumers should know about mattresses and labeling at http://www.bhfti.ca.gov/consumer/rebuilt.pdf
FWIW, resale laws are concerned w/sanitization, not fire safety. You're thinking of the CPSC rule that mattresses manufactured before the new fire safety standards can no longer be sold (or re-sold.)

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:01 pm

I'll be investing in a nice, comfortable mattress. I wouldn't underestimate the worth of quality rest in law school.

wannabealonghorn

New

Post by wannabealonghorn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:30 pm

If we are already taking out near $100,000 loans for tuition, spending $500 for a nice and comfortable bed is worth it, right?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:36 pm

ToadGoDead wrote:overstock FTW
Agree. Great mattresses for really cheap. I have the best mattress I have ever slept on (including high-end hotels, etc.) right now, less than $400 for a king while on sale. (I think the same would have been under $200 for a twin.) Overstock has ridiculously good deals.

Consider this mattress for example, king-size and very comfortable for just $275... http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ad ... oduct.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:47 pm

Headybrah wrote:so I bet a lot of us are in the same boat, heading to school in the next few weeks and are pretty clueless about where to go to buy a bed, how to do it and what to look for in a bed.

I would imagine with all the stress and work, time in bed in law school is precious and you want a good night sleep.

So this is a place for advice and suggestions and such

craigslist.org/zip/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”