C&F Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 am

What would happen if someone filled out a C&F application purely for the Lulz, and did so in a manner that mocked the legal "profession?"

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: C&F Question

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:05 am

GrapeApe wrote:The same goes for the Socialist idiots that write the Property casebooks.


Pretty much my favorite post of yours.

GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:09 am

You are welcome.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: C&F Question

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Mocking the profession will aggravate character flaws. It's probably a flaw on its own. I doubt you want that hanging over your head when you apply for real. Of course, if you never apply for real, I do not think it could hurt you.

GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:43 pm

I'm not going to apply for real. I have nothing but contempt for the legal "profession." The one thing that law school has shown me, is that I do not want to be a lawyer. That's about the only useful thing that I have learned. The fact that I can do so well at this game, while holding nothing but utter contempt for the "profession," shows that something is wrong with the way things are done.

What would the State Bar do with such a C&F application? Chuck it in the trash? Bring it to the attention of the law school? If so, I assume I should probably wait until I am granted the J.D. before I do it?

Would there be any ramifications beyond never being granted a law license? IOW, could the Bar share what I did with other non-legal employers?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:59 pm

What school do you go to? You're going to incur this debt and than not fill out the C&F? Why even take the bar?

GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:16 pm

What school do you go to? You're going to incur this debt and than not fill out the C&F? Why even take the bar?


I'm not going to incur a debt... I have a full ride. If I were paying for this, I wouldn't think twice about leaving. I was going to fill out the C&F, just for the Lulz. I have no intention of taking the bar.

kmap
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby kmap » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:17 pm

You are not cool or edgy. No one will be impressed if you do this. But by all means, go ahead, because the more people out there in the professional world doing stupid shit, the better I look by comparison.

User avatar
vespertiliovir
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Re: C&F Question

Postby vespertiliovir » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:19 pm

GrapeApe wrote:What would happen if someone filled out a C&F application purely for the Lulz, and did so in a manner that mocked the legal "profession?"

I have nothing but contempt for the legal "profession." The one thing that law school has shown me, is that I do not want to be a lawyer. That's about the only useful thing that I have learned. The fact that I can do so well at this game, while holding nothing but utter contempt for the "profession," shows that something is wrong with the way things are done.

I think your ironic airquotes lock is stuck.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:28 pm

OP: I just hope you're aware that despite the advice of high school guidance counselors everywhere, a JD does not actually prepare you to do anything but practice law. If you're willing to waste 3 years of lost salary and your life for a degree you won't use, well, then the joke may be on you.

GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:30 pm

OP: I just hope you're aware that despite the advice of high school guidance counselors everywhere, a JD does not actually prepare you to do anything but practice law. If you're willing to waste 3 years of lost salary and your life for a degree you won't use, well, then the joke may be on you.


There are a couple of very narrow exceptions to this general rule. It just so happens that the narrow exception applies to me.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:31 pm

GrapeApe wrote:
OP: I just hope you're aware that despite the advice of high school guidance counselors everywhere, a JD does not actually prepare you to do anything but practice law. If you're willing to waste 3 years of lost salary and your life for a degree you won't use, well, then the joke may be on you.


There are a couple of very narrow exceptions to this general rule. It just so happens that the narrow exception applies to me.


And yet you seem unwilling to submit that narrow exception to the review of your internet peers. That doesn't breed confidence in what you say.

GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:34 pm


And yet you seem unwilling to submit that narrow exception to the review of your internet peers. That doesn't breed confidence in what you say.


Read my previous posts. I need the J.D. to jump into the admin ranks in law enforcement. Law Enforcement is one of the only non-legal fields where a J.D. means something.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:36 pm

GrapeApe wrote:Read my previous posts. I need the J.D. to jump into the admin ranks in law enforcement. Law Enforcement is one of the only non-legal fields where a J.D. means something.


Didn't know that. How do LEO's use skills honed in law school? Also, since you'll be relying on lawyers to make the cases you build, your disdain for their system (edit: and for them, after reading your posts) is a bit ironic.
Last edited by MrKappus on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: C&F Question

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:38 pm

I'm not understanding why you would allow your contempt for the profession to potentially harm you. This sounds...rather douchey, I'm afraid. If you don't know the potential ramificiations of an action, but know that they could harm you, why in the world would you do it anyway?

GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:41 pm

Didn't know that. How do LEO's use skills honed in law school? Also, since you'll be relying on lawyers to make the cases you build, your disdain for their system is a bit ironic.


Admins have to write policy in accordance with appropriate statutes and Court decisions. All law enforcement officers have to apply statutes and have some skill in interpreting Court decisions. Does one need to go to law school to do this? Absolutely not. However, for some reason, most of the larger agencies require a Masters Degree or better to get gold bars. A J.D. is considered the gold standard for many CID and administrative positions. In reality, it probably shouldn't be. However, as long as it is, it is a fast track for where I want to be.

As for relying on lawyers to make the cases... that's laughable. The system is an assembly line. It's a joke and not a very funny one at that.

GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:43 pm

I'm not understanding why you would allow your contempt for the profession to potentially harm you. This sounds...rather douchey, I'm afraid. If you don't know the potential ramificiations of an action, but know that they could harm you, why in the world would you do it anyway?


For the Lulz? To demonstrate contempt for the ivory tower elitists who inhabit this "profession?"

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:46 pm

GrapeApe wrote:Admins have to write policy in accordance with appropriate statutes and Court decisions. All law enforcement officers have to apply statutes and have some skill in interpreting Court decisions. Does one need to go to law school to do this? Absolutely not. However, for some reason, most of the larger agencies require a Masters Degree or better to get gold bars. A J.D. is considered the gold standard for many CID and administrative positions. In reality, it probably shouldn't be. However, as long as it is, it is a fast track for where I want to be.

As for relying on lawyers to make the cases... that's laughable. The system is an assembly line. It's a joke and not a very funny one at that.


If you hate lawyers so much, I'm surprised how often you interact with them unnecessarily on an internet forum.

Edit: Btw, you sound like one seriously angry guy. I'm really glad you're in an office and not on the street with a gun. Enjoy the career you've elected for yourself, which apparently will involve a worthless assembly line and deep depression.
Last edited by MrKappus on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:47 pm

If you hate lawyers so much, I'm surprised how often you interact with them unnecessarily on an internet forum.


The funny thing is that I didn't hate lawyers this much until I went to law school. That says something.

Besides, my contempt for the "profession" isn't something that is personal to every lawyer/law student. Hate the job, not the person would probably apply to many law students/lawyers. However, there are many others who are pure evil.

GrapeApe
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby GrapeApe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Btw, you sound like one seriously angry guy.


Not at all.

I'm really glad you're in an office and not on the street with a gun.


You are wrong there too.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: C&F Question

Postby MrKappus » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:01 am

Well, to your OP: be careful you don't get cited for something. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but I imagine such a thing could follow you around. You do sound pissed off in most of your posts, but that's non of my business. Good luck with your career. I hope you (1) find a part of it that's less assembly line-ish and more rewarding, and (2) find lawyers that restore your faith in the profession. It's not as bad as you make it out to be.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: C&F Question

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:01 pm

What are you kids stoned on?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LawHammer and 12 guests