TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Just got the e-mail about Fordham's "flex" schedule. Details are as follows:

As we anticipate your arrival in a few short weeks, we are excited to share with you a new section assignment option for full-time day division students (Sections 9 & 10). It is our wish to make your transition to law school as smooth as possible and therefore want to introduce a section for those that are looking for a more flexible way to take on their legal education.

All classes in this new "flex" schedule start no earlier than 1:00 p.m. It will also keep classes to a Monday through Thursday schedule with these sections being the only day sections with no Friday classes.

We have approximately 80 spots for this flex schedule. Below is the fall schedule layout for reference. Please use the link below to express your interest/non-interest in this option. Signing up for this section does not guarantee assignment - as we will put all those interested through a lottery. We will contact you in the very near future if you are among those that have been assigned this section assignment.



FALL 2010
--ImageRemoved--


Does this schedule make sense? 3 hours of Torts on Monday sounds brutal. If you could re-do 1L would you take a schedule like this? Also, selection into this section is determined by a lottery so even if I say I am interested, there's no guarantee I'll get it.

Edit: if I get in it appears I will be sacrificing bar review )-:

On the other hand, damn I don't like getting up early
Last edited by chicoalto0649 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 pm

well, you'd have to pregame during LW and Property, so keep that in mind.

Wingdw
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby Wingdw » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Yeah I'm not sure myself. I was thinking that this schedule option would be more of a late morning / early afternoon schedule, but this seems like a straight up afternoon / night schedule. Having class until 9:45 two days a week seems... unpleasant to me.

On the other hand, I too have been traditionally adverse to early schedules. But I don't know I'm a few years older than I was in college and maybe I can handle it better now haha. In short, I'm not inclined towards this new option right now.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:51 pm

also,
It is our wish to make your transition to law school as smooth as possible and therefore want to introduce a section for those that are looking for a more flexible way to take on their legal education.


who exactly is this schedule supposed to be for--i.e., transition from where? o, straight out of UG kids being high on the sofa after waking up at noon and ordering pizza for breakfast? that makes sense actually.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:52 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:also,
It is our wish to make your transition to law school as smooth as possible and therefore want to introduce a section for those that are looking for a more flexible way to take on their legal education.


who exactly is this schedule supposed to be for--i.e., transition from where? o,straight out of UG kids being high on the sofa after waking up at noon and ordering pizza for breakfast? people like chicoalto0649 .that makes sense actually.


fixed

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Personally, I said no. But I much prefer earlier classes to later ones. I like having my nights free (or to study).

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 pm

bump

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby hannah87 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 pm

i entered the lottery just because i'd like the option...i imagine that if i get offered a spot, i can turn it down if i change my mind because there will be someone else who wants it. i'm going to talk to a few students about it this week. i'm just not positive that gaining sleep in the AM and free fridays is worth being in class until almost 10 pm.

any other thoughts?

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:04 am

hannah87 wrote:i entered the lottery just because i'd like the option...i imagine that if i get offered a spot, i can turn it down if i change my mind because there will be someone else who wants it. i'm going to talk to a few students about it this week. i'm just not positive that gaining sleep in the AM and free fridays is worth being in class until almost 10 pm.

any other thoughts?


(Complete sub-conscious gunner in me) I wonder if only uber-smart kids or complete slackers will be attracted to this option. In the end it prob wont make a difference...but still....it totally could

mistywisty
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby mistywisty » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:50 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:i entered the lottery just because i'd like the option...i imagine that if i get offered a spot, i can turn it down if i change my mind because there will be someone else who wants it. i'm going to talk to a few students about it this week. i'm just not positive that gaining sleep in the AM and free fridays is worth being in class until almost 10 pm.

any other thoughts?


(Complete sub-conscious gunner in me) I wonder if only uber-smart kids or complete slackers will be attracted to this option. In the end it prob wont make a difference...but still....it totally could


I thought the same thing! If there's a section where everyone else is too lazy to get up before noon because they stay up all night drinking or getting high, sign me up!

Does anyone else know what the "normal" class schedule looks like in terms of hours at the school? I have to admit, this flexie thing is attractive to me as I will be commuting from Jersey and dealing with buses and the Port Authority one less day a week seems miiighty attractive...

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby hannah87 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 am

i also found it attractive because of the commute (i have a one-hour trip from brooklyn). i'm just worried that i'll sleep late every day and be too tired to do my work at night- especially when class ends at 9:45...

User avatar
beckstar
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby beckstar » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:30 am

i hope i get it. my commute will be at least an hour from brooklyn

what time is the earliest morning class anyway?

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:36 am

beckstar wrote:i hope i get it. my commute will be at least an hour from brooklyn

what time is the earliest morning class anyway?


I think 9. I live rlly close to Fordham. An afternoon schedule for me is just asking for trouble. If only the legal industry had a flex schedule for attorneys.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby hannah87 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:35 pm

i chickened out and decided i don't have the discipline to wake up at a set hour to do homework/reading in the mornings, so i pulled out of the lottery. i hope everyone who wants a spot gets one!

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:05 pm

I'd take such a schedule because I love late afternoon/evening classes. A three hour class will usually come with a 20 minute break, and the good thing is that you will have more days to do the reading.

Also, people are frequently still out at 10pm, though not all the time, given classes the next day.

Congrats and welcome to our lovely school! <3 I remember how excited I was a year ago, and I'm still excited now.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby TTH » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:17 pm

This sounds like a recipe for fail. You might as well take a traditional schedule and condition yourself for the 7am-10pm grind of legal practice.

Huluba23
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby Huluba23 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:43 pm

TTH wrote:This sounds like a recipe for fail. You might as well take a traditional schedule and condition yourself for the 7am-10pm grind of legal practice.


This. Dont think im going to enter this lottery. I feel as if I would sleep late as opposed to studying when I should be if I had this schedule.

SaraT
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:08 am

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby SaraT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:53 am

Huluba23 wrote:
TTH wrote:This sounds like a recipe for fail. You might as well take a traditional schedule and condition yourself for the 7am-10pm grind of legal practice.


This. Dont think im going to enter this lottery. I feel as if I would sleep late as opposed to studying when I should be if I had this schedule.


yea same here.

empire84
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby empire84 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 pm

edited
Last edited by empire84 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Decided the schedule is not for me. I had all of UG to crash until 12 and eat pizza for breakfast. I'll have to get up eventually wont I?

I think they'll have no problem finding people to sign up for this tho.

mistywisty
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby mistywisty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Actually... I think I'm going for this. Not so much for the fact that the classes are late but the fact that they're in blocks and not on Friday. Two plus hours a week not spent on a shitty bus from Jersey right there. If the classes are clumped, there's more freedom outside of them; I'd be equally happy with 8am-2pm classes and Fridays off. I won't spend my mornings sleeping in - I have two horses that need riding. Was just reading the "What would you do differently first semester?" thread, and almost everyone said go to the gym more, so maybe I'm on the right track? This schedule makes the ponies more convenient for sure, and they keep me happy and balanced like nothing else. Just need to keep myself focused and on a schedule for reading/studying when I'm not at Fordham!

And maybe I will be with all the fresh out of UG lazies (gosh I would have been a disaster doing this four years ago!) and have a bit of an easier curve, haha!

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby Corsair » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:47 am

..

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:17 am

Corsair wrote:Class until 10 pm sounds like it would blow. Greatly.



esp property and legal writing. big deterrent

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: TLS: HELP! Does this Fordham schedule make sense?

Postby Bankhead » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am

LOL, this sounds like a schedule catered to the lazy.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests