Computer for law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What type of computer

Netbook
13%
Standard Laptop 14"-17"
48%
Desktop computer
No votes
Macbook
39%

Total votes: 85

ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: Computer for law school

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:38 pm

sundance95 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:But you also admitted that the Lenovo failure rates are skewed because they include their crappy low end models. That means your "hard data" is flawed in that respect. Therefore, just because Asus is above Lenovo, doesn't mean its true. It could be, but the data is flawed enough to put a higher premium on the "guess work" (ie massive contracting of Thinkpad's for corps and govt work) that you're so determined to avoid.
So you are contending that Asus, which is one of if not the leading netbook manufacturer, doesn't make 'crappy low end models'? If anything, as a percentage of total computers sold, Asus probably sells 'crappy low end models' at a much higher rate then Lenovo, which would make Asus' better failure rate even more impressive.

I lol at the assumption that ThinkPad must be the most reliable just because gov and corporate purchasers buy them. Do you think there may be other factors that influence those customers, such as enterprise sales and service for these massive computer fleets? Asus doesn't offer enterprise level sales and service, does that mean that they have a higher failure rate? Can you think of customers that continue purchasing practices out of pure inertia more than government and corporate buyers?
The government would spend 250k a toilet seat if it could justify it with the reliability of the toilet never clogging.

The reasoning behind governments getting into Thinkpad contracts are that they are proven are mission-critical circumstances and meet certain specs for certain jobs(mil-spec).

To be fair, I have seen a few places adopting Panasonic's Toughbook line in the field, electric and cable companies come to mind... so does urban planning and *SOME* civil engineers.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:49 pm

ResolutePear wrote:To be fair, I have seen a few places adopting Panasonic's Toughbook line in the field, electric and cable companies come to mind... so does urban planning and *SOME* civil engineers.

Toughbooks are the gold standard. However, they are stupidly expensive. The reason the Thinkpad is so popular is that it offers the next-best level of protection for significantly less. I believe a Toughbook average around $3K.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:55 pm

kalvano wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:To be fair, I have seen a few places adopting Panasonic's Toughbook line in the field, electric and cable companies come to mind... so does urban planning and *SOME* civil engineers.

Toughbooks are the gold standard. However, they are stupidly expensive. The reason the Thinkpad is so popular is that it offers the next-best level of protection for significantly less. I believe a Toughbook average around $3K.
Yep, but then again - it's budgets 101: Spend all of your money and ask for more next year.

Other than that, that's pretty much the point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”