Chicago Manual Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rbgrocio

Silver

Chicago Manual

Post by rbgrocio » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:01 am

Do you guys know whether you put one space or two spaces after a period?

It was my understanding that you should put two spaces, but pursuant to 6.11 of the Chicago Manual "in typeset matter, one space, not two, follows any mark of punctuation that ends a sentence, whether a period, a color, a question mark, an exclamation point, or closing quotation marks."

Oban

Silver

Re: Chicago Manual

Post by Oban » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:55 am

It depends on your opinion. People seem split on the issue. It seems many people were brought up/taught throughout school to use two spaces, while others were taught one. FWIW, i'd just go with your preference.

RUQRU

Bronze

Post by RUQRU » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:45 am

According to the Modern Language Association:
Publications in the United States today usually have the same spacing after a punctuation mark as between words on the same line. Since word processors make available the same fonts used by typesetters for printed works, many writers, influenced by the look of typeset publications, now leave only one space after a concluding punctuation mark. In addition, most publishers' guidelines for preparing electronic manuscripts ask authors to type only the spaces that are to appear in print.

Because it is increasingly common for papers and manuscripts to be prepared with a single space after all punctuation marks, this spacing is shown in the examples in the MLA Handbook and the MLA Style Manual. As a practical matter, however, there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks unless an instructor or editor requests that you do otherwise

http://www.mla.org/style_faq3

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Y'all are pissing me off to no end. Look, there are different formal styles of writing. The Chicago Manual and MLA differ on lots of things--not just spacing after sentences. There are other styles of writing in English too. All you have to do is follow an acceptable/prefered style for your audience. There is no ONE TRUE WAY to write in English. But this does not mean that it just depends on your opinion. Rather, it just depends on your audience.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:12 pm

sumus romani wrote:Y'all are pissing me off to no end. Look, there are different formal styles of writing. The Chicago Manual and MLA differ on lots of things--not just spacing after sentences. There are other styles of writing in English too. All you have to do is follow an acceptable/prefered style for your audience. There is no ONE TRUE WAY to write in English. But this does not mean that it just depends on your opinion. Rather, it just depends on your audience.
Any strong feelings on dangling participles?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:07 pm

sumus romani wrote:Y'all are pissing me off to no end. Look, there are different formal styles of writing. The Chicago Manual and MLA differ on lots of things--not just spacing after sentences. There are other styles of writing in English too. All you have to do is follow an acceptable/prefered style for your audience. There is no ONE TRUE WAY to write in English. But this does not mean that it just depends on your opinion. Rather, it just depends on your audience.

well... if you work for the law review, you have to follow Chicago, hence my question! So relax or go do something... no need to be getting all "pissed off"

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:11 pm

8)

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:43 pm

It varies by style manual. My law review follows a style manual that leaves it to the discretion of the editor. I like killing trees, so I use two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”