Should I get a MacBook Pro? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: Should I get a MacBook Pro?

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:57 am

kalvano wrote:
Emma. wrote:
ResolutePear wrote: Oh - and a Mac is a PC.
Is this some kind of weird semantic obsession? Of course Macs are PCs as far as PC stands for "Personal Computer".

No. Macs use pretty much all the same equipment as a PC now that they use Intel chips. I think their GFX cards are a little different, but they use the same HDD's, RAM (just charge you triple for it), processors, motherboards, everything.

The only real difference is OS versus Windows 7. And now with Windows 7, that difference is very minimal.
Emma, please read into Darwin/FreeBSD and EFI before making statements like that. It just proves my point that people who want Macbooks want them because they're "in" but really know nothing else about it.

Nah Kal - there is no difference between a mac and PC on any level whatsoever. The new MBP's were the first to use videocard switching but was expensive. Lenovo, HP, and I believe Dell's higher end(Alienware) have the same technology now.

The difference between a PC and Mac is artificial in the sense that Apple installed the motherboards with a rom chip which identifies it as a mac so OSX can install/run. This of course has been circumvented and it is now possible to grab an retail-30USD OSX disk and install it on many laptops/netbooks with the patch.

TADA!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:08 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Is the MBP more "tough" than the basic MB? Is it better able to withstand the lugging back and forth to class? If I accidentally drop it, will it have a better chance of surviving?

Yes, I realize it's aluminum, but does that mean anything?

My cousin and I got macbooks around the same time-- mine is a pro and his was one of those white ones. I, being very clumsy and destructive, treat mine like shit (I can't count how many times i've dropped it or hit it hard against the doorway on my way out) and it is still alive and running strong, while his has been long replaced.
Most laptop failures are hardware failure, not hardware damage.

If you are so clumsy you should get a 450 dollar Dell, and store your data offsite, because if you drop any nonruggedized laptop its going to fuck it up.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm adding "To piss off ResolutePear" as one of the reasons I'm buying a Mac tomorrow! :mrgreen:

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I'm adding "To piss off ResolutePear" as one of the reasons I'm buying a Mac tomorrow! :mrgreen:
They don't call me Resolute for nothing!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Is the MBP more "tough" than the basic MB? Is it better able to withstand the lugging back and forth to class? If I accidentally drop it, will it have a better chance of surviving?

Yes, I realize it's aluminum, but does that mean anything?

My cousin and I got macbooks around the same time-- mine is a pro and his was one of those white ones. I, being very clumsy and destructive, treat mine like shit (I can't count how many times i've dropped it or hit it hard against the doorway on my way out) and it is still alive and running strong, while his has been long replaced.
Most laptop failures are hardware failure, not hardware damage.

If you are so clumsy you should get a 450 dollar Dell, and store your data offsite, because if you drop any nonruggedized laptop its going to fuck it up.
And I just see the next post coming along and saying: Well, that's cool because my MBP is ruggedized. :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:19 pm

goosey wrote:I am a pretty clumsy person---when I had a sidekick, I went through 5 in one month because I kept destroying them by dropping it on the sidewalk(then some guy stepped on it and the screen broke off :-o ) and dropping it down the stairs, etc..
Toughbook for this reason. :P

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:28 pm

bk187 wrote:
goosey wrote:I am a pretty clumsy person---when I had a sidekick, I went through 5 in one month because I kept destroying them by dropping it on the sidewalk(then some guy stepped on it and the screen broke off :-o ) and dropping it down the stairs, etc..
Toughbook for this reason. :P
Toughbooks are for military applications, you know, like shielding yourself from gunshots while you hack the nukes? Don't get me wrong.. if I was Bear Grylls, I would get two.

Most of the Thinkpads are rugged enough for business use(lots of time in airports); in specific: the T-series is a tank.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:52 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Toughbooks are for military applications, you know, like shielding yourself from gunshots while you hack the nukes? Don't get me wrong.. if I was Bear Grylls, I would get two.

Most of the Thinkpads are rugged enough for business use(lots of time in airports); in specific: the T-series is a tank.
I wasn't being serious, I know what toughbooks are actually for. You have to literally be the kind of person who drops their coffee on their computer everyday to consider using a toughbook in an office (you should probably just learn not to be so clumsy).

Dropping 5 cell phones in 1 month though, yikes!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 pm

bk187 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Toughbooks are for military applications, you know, like shielding yourself from gunshots while you hack the nukes? Don't get me wrong.. if I was Bear Grylls, I would get two.

I wasn't being serious, I know what toughbooks are actually for. You have to literally be the kind of person who drops their coffee on their computer everyday to consider using a toughbook in an office (you should probably just learn not to be so clumsy).

Dropping 5 cell phones in 1 month though, yikes!
Well - I was being serious. I would so like to get one so I can throw my laptop out of my office whenever I get pissed and not have to buy a new laptop.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:31 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Well - I was being serious. I would so like to get one so I can throw my laptop out of my office whenever I get pissed and not have to buy a new laptop.
Yeah being able to pull out a pistol and shoot my laptop in frustration sounds like win to me.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Y'all laugh but I love the heck out of my military grade laptop.
I know it wont get squeezed into pieces between 4 inch thick casebooks in the bag :lol:

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:14 pm

I've been using macs since 2006 and love them and since my school is 100% mac compatible I'm getting a macbook for school. I am just trading in my iMac and saving myself a few hundred bucks too. I'm not sure if I'll just get the regular macbook or a macbook pro, though.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:25 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:I've been using macs since 2006 and love them and since my school is 100% mac compatible I'm getting a macbook for school. I am just trading in my iMac and saving myself a few hundred bucks too. I'm not sure if I'll just get the regular macbook or a macbook pro, though.
If you're not sure what's the difference between the regular and the pro, chances are that you want the regular.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:I've been using macs since 2006 and love them and since my school is 100% mac compatible I'm getting a macbook for school. I am just trading in my iMac and saving myself a few hundred bucks too. I'm not sure if I'll just get the regular macbook or a macbook pro, though.
If you're not sure what's the difference between the regular and the pro, chances are that you want the regular.
I didn't say I didn't know the difference. Only that I wasn't sure which I will get. :wink:

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
I didn't say I didn't know the difference. Only that I wasn't sure which I will get. :wink:
I was just trying to be generalized :P

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:44 am

I built myself a nice little desktop (still waiting for the right price on a second monitor, but it'll come) and bought a netbook for lugging to and from class. My netbook keyboard is pretty sizable (something like 94% of a full size keyboard), and the portability and battery life are fantastic.

It is *extremely* nice to have both a desktop and a laptop, as well. The things that my desktop can do absolutely blow away my netbook (and pretty much any other medium grade laptop) and the ability to upgrade and customize down the line is fantastic. For example, earlier today I just added in a new 1TB HD into my Desktop.

So... IMO... Credited is no, don't buy a MacBook Pro. For the price of your MacBook pro, I can buy a dual monitor desktop, a netbook, and still probably have 200-300 left over for other fun stuff (like alcohol! Or if I need it... buying a second netbook, in case the first one happens to die/get destroyed/obliterated/stolen)

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:08 am

legalease9 wrote:Go windows. Yes mac is better, but Windows is more compatible. This is not only for games but also for some law schools software etc. That compatibility is invaluable.
There is law school software? I'm also thinking about getting a Mac and am wondering what kind of software you are referring to?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:47 pm

jdubb990 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:Go windows. Yes mac is better, but Windows is more compatible. This is not only for games but also for some law schools software etc. That compatibility is invaluable.
There is law school software? I'm also thinking about getting a Mac and am wondering what kind of software you are referring to?

Exam software is usually Windows-only. You can get Bootcamp and boot Windows easily.

Or you can get a Windows 7-based computer and be fine. OS is no longer better than Windows. Now, it's just personal preference.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:04 pm

So what about those new Intel Processors? The I5, I7, etc., do you guys think those are worth dropping the extra cash on?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:43 pm

i3 - everyday usage. Emails, browsing, word processing.

i5 - more heavy-duty usage. If you run a lot of windows open or something like that.

i7 - heavy-duty power users. Gamers, etc.

SuichiKurama

Bronze

Post by SuichiKurama » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Is there anyway to get Onenote onto a Mac?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:05 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Emma, please read into Darwin/FreeBSD and EFI before making statements like that. It just proves my point that people who want Macbooks want them because they're "in" but really know nothing else about it.
:roll:

Dude, really? You are calling me out because I asked that question? I was just trying to get clarity on what you meant.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:06 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
goosey wrote:
I have always used windows and am not very comfortable with macs--one of my concerns is that I will be getting my laptop about a week before the start of classes and it will likely take me some time to get accustomed to the new format--am I overthinking things or is this a valid concern?
My Dell burnt out around Thanksgiving of last year (1L year). I got a Pro and felt completely comfortable on it by the time finals rolled around 3 weeks later. I had never used a Mac before, either. You should be fine, adjustment-wise.
I just bought a macbook pro, it's working great so far. I installed windows on mine as well though.

PS-FlightoftheEarls I HEART your tar!
SuichiKurama wrote:Is there anyway to get Onenote onto a Mac?
install windows and run it on that, otherwise try omnioutliner 3 I hear it's amazing! --LinkRemoved--

kazootey

New

Post by kazootey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Don't get any Mac because they're for stupid hippies and people who sit at home in their underwear in their mom's basement and edit videos of themselves re-enacting Star Wars scenes.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:14 pm

I was originally leaning toward the Macbook Pro, but I ultimately opted for a Lenovo T410 instead. The cost was similar but I ended up getting a faster processor and larger hard drive for the same price ($1100). I also didn't want to deal with bootcamp or any compatibility issues as I'm a PC user at heart.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”