Should I get a MacBook Pro? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Diamond

Re: Should I get a MacBook Pro?

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:18 pm

blink wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Concur with the anti-Dell sentiment. It's like they custom build them to shit the bed at the most crucial moment.

Also, the company is going to hell in a handbasket. Heard it here (and in Business Week) first, ladies and gents.

--ImageRemoved--

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/Squa ... y_1109.pdf

what is this supposed to show? apple has a mere 0.9% lower malfunction rate in the third year than dell does...
That dells rate isn't that bad, and thus buying a dell isn't some huge mistake.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:19 pm

blink wrote:Also, you can run windows on a mac to get the best of both worlds...
Bad idea. Mac are overpriced, and you can buy an equivalent Asus (with a better error rate) for cheaper.

The only reason to buy mac is if you really like their OS.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
blink wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Concur with the anti-Dell sentiment. It's like they custom build them to shit the bed at the most crucial moment.

Also, the company is going to hell in a handbasket. Heard it here (and in Business Week) first, ladies and gents.

--ImageRemoved--

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/Squa ... y_1109.pdf

what is this supposed to show? apple has a mere 0.9% lower malfunction rate in the third year than dell does...
That dells rate isn't that bad, and thus buying a dell isn't some huge mistake.

ok yeah looked like you were quoting the previous post to show further evidence of his correctness...my bad

Zatarra

New

Post by Zatarra » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 pm

As stated before, if you've any desire to use OS X (and the pricetag is a non-issue), then yes, go with a Mac. If you've zero desire to use OS X, you can save some cash, and buy a comparably specc'd Windows 7 machine (I'd recommend taking a look at Lenovo's offerings for the best price/quality/performance).

That said, you're highly unlikely to match the package Apple provides point for point on the PC end (they've done a fantastic job balancing design/performance/weight/battery at a relatively reasonable price). Do note that any Mac can dual boot into Windows 7, and runs it just as well as a comparably specc'd PC laptop. In fact, you may be required to boot into Windows depending on the exam software used at your school (this is trivially easy, but you'll have to spring for a copy of Windows). I use both OS X and Windows 7 daily, but OS X strikes as a far more streamlined experience on a laptop (Expose, multiple desktops, spotlight, etc)

Ok, assuming you're jumping into the Apple camp, it's MacBook vs. MacBook Pro -- at 949 vs 1099 respectively.

Unless you really want to hang onto that 150, the Pro is almost certainly the better bet, and features the following advantages:
+ Slightly thinner and slightly lighter
+ Double the RAM (4GB really should be the standard on all laptops these days)
+ Higher quality screen (better viewing angles and color reproduction)

Personally, I also vastly prefer the look of the Pro to the standard model, but that's personal preference.

All of that said, if money is no object, the Sony Vaio Z looks pretty incredible - nearly the performance of the 15" MacBook Pro at the weight of the MacBook Air with a full 1080p display -- Apple simply can't compete if you're looking for a top tier ultraportable and need to run resource hungry apps (the Air, sadly, is rubbish).

Hope that helps!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I have a MacBook Pro. On it right now. I love it and would highly recommend it, Goosey.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Emma. wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I have a MacBook Pro. On it right now. I love it and would highly recommend it, Goosey.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:41 pm

My macbook pro got me though undergrad with no issues at all. I couldn't love it more - and I'm really excited to be getting a new one next week. I was only pondering weather I should get the more portable 13in or the 15in with more memory. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 15in.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Zatarra wrote:As stated before, if you've any desire to use OS X (and the pricetag is a non-issue), then yes, go with a Mac. If you've zero desire to use OS X, you can save some cash, and buy a comparably specc'd Windows 7 machine (I'd recommend taking a look at Lenovo's offerings for the best price/quality/performance).

That said, you're highly unlikely to match the package Apple provides point for point on the PC end (they've done a fantastic job balancing design/performance/weight/battery at a relatively reasonable price). Do note that any Mac can dual boot into Windows 7, and runs it just as well as a comparably specc'd PC laptop. In fact, you may be required to boot into Windows depending on the exam software used at your school (this is trivially easy, but you'll have to spring for a copy of Windows). I use both OS X and Windows 7 daily, but OS X strikes as a far more streamlined experience on a laptop (Expose, multiple desktops, spotlight, etc)

Ok, assuming you're jumping into the Apple camp, it's MacBook vs. MacBook Pro -- at 949 vs 1099 respectively.

Unless you really want to hang onto that 150, the Pro is almost certainly the better bet, and features the following advantages:

Personally, I also vastly prefer the look of the Pro to the standard model, but that's personal preference.

All of that said, if money is no object, the Sony Vaio Z looks pretty incredible - nearly the performance of the 15" MacBook Pro at the weight of the MacBook Air with a full 1080p display -- Apple simply can't compete if you're looking for a top tier ultraportable and need to run resource hungry apps (the Air, sadly, is rubbish).

Hope that helps!
These are very unimportant to me and I think most potential buyers. With that said, it is only $100 extra.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:57 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
Zatarra wrote: Unless you really want to hang onto that 150, the Pro is almost certainly the better bet, and features the following advantages:
These are very unimportant to me and I think most potential buyers. With that said, it is only $100 extra.

Screen resolution is debatable, but how are RAM and portability unimportant to most potential buyers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:02 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:
Zatarra wrote: Unless you really want to hang onto that 150, the Pro is almost certainly the better bet, and features the following advantages:

Screen resolution is debatable, but how are RAM and portability unimportant to most potential buyers?
Great. So your computer weighs an ounce or two less than the basic model, is maybe an eighth of an inch thinner, and has ram that you will never use unless you play starcraft in your parents basement for 10 hours a day.

blzrchick2

New

Post by blzrchick2 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:09 pm

I have a MacBook that I got Spring of my 2L year (I just graduated) and love it. Didn't get the Pro (no need for it) but got extra hard drive space and some other extra stuff my brother had me get.

For me the BIGGEST plus over the past 1.5 years with it has been NO VIRUSES. My old HP had so much crap on it. I download stuff all the time and my old computer got completely messed up from it. Actually, while my HP had problem after problem not withstanding the viruses, my Mac really hasn't had any problems yet.

It took a week or so to adjust to the operating system, and I never thought I'd be a Mac person, but I absolutely love it now. Also, SoftTest easily plays if you partition your hard drive and install Windows on it through Bootcamp. I had my school tech people do it for me and I've never had a problem with that either. Good luck shopping!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:21 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:Great. So your computer weighs an ounce or two less than the basic model, is maybe an eighth of an inch thinner, and has ram that you will never use unless you play starcraft in your parents basement for 10 hours a day.
Okay, I'll concede to you that between the two models at issue the difference is negligible. (In general though, I think portability should be one of the primary concerns when purchasing a laptop.) But I do think that the 4 gigs of RAM is pretty standard if you expect to run any sort of multimedia applications (while surfing the web, word processing, etc.).

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:24 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Great. So your computer weighs an ounce or two less than the basic model, is maybe an eighth of an inch thinner, and has ram that you will never use unless you play starcraft in your parents basement for 10 hours a day.
Okay, I'll concede to you that between the two models at issue the difference is negligible. (In general though, I think portability should be one of the primary concerns when purchasing a laptop.) But I do think that the 4 gigs of RAM is pretty standard if you expect to run any sort of multimedia applications (while surfing the web, word processing, etc.).
Like I said before, it's only $100 extra, so if OP values those three things, then go for it.

What do you mean by multimedia? Are you talking about editing video and stuff? I'm a little computer illiterate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Does anyone know if there's such thing as a computer with a "non-glare" screen.

Zatarra

New

Post by Zatarra » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:46 pm

True, the weight and size difference between the MB and MB Pro is pretty negligible, but still a (small) point in the MB Pro's favor. Same with the screen -- while the majority of users may not care, the Pro certainly displays a more striking image, and even watching a film or two while look a might bit better.

I'd say that the RAM, however, is a big, big difference. Two gigabytes can get eaten up pretty quick if you've even just a few tabs open in your browser and a song playing through iTunes, never mind watching a film or youtube video as well. Further, if you want to run Windows virtualized, you'll need to split your RAM between OSX and Win7, and 2GB will be pretty painful for that. Extra RAM is never a bad thing, and OSX simply runs better with more room to breathe.

Anyway, all these things together definitely make that 150 a lot easier to swallow, even if you weren't getting spiffier looking system! ;)

Also, *ahem* Starcraft would probably run just fine on the 256mb RAM systems common in 98' ;). And, actually, the MB and 13" MB Pro have the exact same graphics chip and processor -- making gaming equally... ermm... crappy on both!

------
GettingReady2010 wrote:Does anyone know if there's such thing as a computer with a "non-glare" screen.
For non-glare displays, both the larger MB Pros have that option, otherwise, you'll want to check out 'business' oriented laptops (say the Vostro line from Dell or some Lenovos). Me, I can't stand the glossy screens, and wouldn't personally buy either 13" MB Pro or MB for that reason alone (but hey, some people love them!).

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Zatarra wrote:
True, the weight and size difference between the MB and MB Pro is pretty negligible, but still a (small) point in the MB Pro's favor. Same with the screen -- while the majority of users may not care, the Pro certainly displays a more striking image, and even watching a film or two while look a might bit better.

I'd say that the RAM, however, is a big, big difference. Two gigabytes can get eaten up pretty quick if you've even just a few tabs open in your browser and a song playing through iTunes, never mind watching a film or youtube video as well. Further, if you want to run Windows virtualized, you'll need to split your RAM between OSX and Win7, and 2GB will be pretty painful for that. Extra RAM is never a bad thing, and OSX simply runs better with more room to breathe.

Anyway, all these things together definitely make that 150 a lot easier to swallow, even if you weren't getting spiffier looking system! ;)

Also, *ahem* Starcraft would probably run just fine on the 256mb RAM systems common in 98' ;). And, actually, the MB and 13" MB Pro have the exact same graphics chip and processor -- making gaming equally... ermm... crappy on both!

------
GettingReady2010 wrote:Does anyone know if there's such thing as a computer with a "non-glare" screen.
For non-glare displays, both the larger MB Pros have that option, otherwise, you'll want to check out 'business' oriented laptops (say the Vostro line from Dell or some Lenovos). Me, I can't stand the glossy screens, and wouldn't personally buy either 13" MB Pro or MB for that reason alone (but hey, some people love them!).
So you can't get that option on the basic 13"?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Let me (try to) end this thread: Get a Thinkpad or go home.

Remember it on your 1L finals, when on your way to class your MacBook fell and cracked the screen/shot the HD.

EDIT: Damnit, everytime says the MacBook is the end all of laptops it makes me so ANGRY I want to stomp on turtles!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zatarra

New

Post by Zatarra » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Nope, sadly, the 13" MB or MB Pro don't have the non-glare option. Why, I'll never know... (actually, for awhile the 15" didn't have an anti-glare option either, so it's possible the 13" might get the option someday... but I wouldn't hold your breath!)

----

Thinkpads are a pretty good bet on the PC front, but sadly, since Lenovo bought out IBM, the line has become increasingly swamped with lower-end, more generic pieces of kit. Still, the higher-end units definitely seem to be put together better than a Dell or HP unit (and probably more resilient than an MB or MB Pro as well!). Now Panasonic's ToughBooks... those things look like they could withstand a major beating!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Let me (try to) end this thread: Get a Thinkpad or go home.

Remember it on your 1L finals, when on your way to class your MacBook fell and cracked the screen/shot the HD.

EDIT: Damnit, everytime says the MacBook is the end all of laptops it makes me so ANGRY I want to stomp on turtles!
Eh, My old Ti powerbook G4 has taken some burly drops and still runs fine 7+ years later. The new unibody construction is way more solid than that old computer, too.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Zatarra wrote:Nope, sadly, the 13" MB or MB Pro don't have the non-glare option. Why, I'll never know... (actually, for awhile the 15" didn't have an anti-glare option either, so it's possible the 13" might get the option someday... but I wouldn't hold your breath!)

----

Thinkpads are a pretty good bet on the PC front, but sadly, since Lenovo bought out IBM, the line has become increasingly swamped with lower-end, more generic pieces of kit. Still, the higher-end units definitely seem to be put together better than a Dell or HP unit (and probably more resilient than an MB or MB Pro as well!). Now Panasonic's ToughBooks... those things look like they could withstand a major beating!
It's how Apple makes their money. They'll eventually release the option when there's enough demand and the cycle calls for it(enough of the non-anti glare macs are sold to warrant an "upgrade"). Think: iPhones.

Also, true.. Lenovo has lower end Thinkpads, but that's what they are.. lower end and lower priced(Edge, SL). The same Thinkpad quality can be had for the price(L,X, T, R-series).

You also have to factor in that the Thinkpad line is built around business and time is everything in business. This is most apparent with the on-site warranty.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 pm

If you like PC's get a PC. If you like Macs, get a Mac. Simple as that.

Macs are not miracle computers devoid of errors that function like silk (though their fanbase and ad campaign like to disagree).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Macs are PC's that use a different operating system.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 pm

kalvano wrote:Macs are PC's that use a different operating system.
TITMFCR

jml8756

Bronze

Post by jml8756 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:29 pm

I used to be a total Mac hater, until I used my sister's MBP a couple times and was forced to admit how much more well-built it was than any of the PCs I had ever used. Two months ago I bought a 13" MBP and used BootCamp to install Windows 7, and I love it.

A couple examples of the superiority:
-Two-finger scroll & multi-touch trackpad
-Magnetic power cord connection (With my former PCs, the connection port would wear out and get loose after years of plugging and unplugging and the occasional trip or yank)
-Aluminum unibody is really solid
-Stays cool and quiet (my former PCs would get really hot and loud with excessive usage)
-Built-in camera much better quality
-Great battery life

It's the little things that count. I'm still not sold on Mac OS, but I'm really happy with my Windows 7 MBP.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:33 pm

jml8756 wrote:I used to be a total Mac hater, until I used my sister's MBP a couple times and was forced to admit how much more well-built it was than any of the PCs I had ever used. Two months ago I bought a 13" MBP and used BootCamp to install Windows 7, and I love it.

A couple examples of the superiority:
-Two-finger scroll & multi-touch trackpad
-Magnetic power cord connection (With my former PCs, the connection port would wear out and get loose after years of plugging and unplugging and the occasional trip or yank)
-Aluminum unibody is really solid
-Stays cool and quiet (my former PCs would get really hot and loud with excessive usage)
-Built-in camera much better quality
-Great battery life

It's the little things that count. I'm still not sold on Mac OS, but I'm really happy with my Windows 7 MBP.
You do realize that you can get most of those things on a Windows PC and spend less money than you would on a mac, right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”