What is the best note taking software to use in law school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
leobowski

Re: What is the best note taking software to use in law school?

Postby leobowski » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:05 am

CFC11 wrote:I plan on using OneNote this Fall. Started messing around with it recently and it seems pretty awesome thus far.

I think it would be helpful if any of you guys who used it could put up some screenshots of your layout. I checked out xeoh's but would like to see some other ways of organizing it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to share.

Edit: Here's a thread I found about OneNote which includes a screenshot. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87977

Here's a screenshot of my setup:

I use a book for each semester, a section for each subject, and a page each for book notes & class notes / hypos / miscellaneous/ outlines etc. I use the 2-column method with book notes and briefs on the left with matching class notes on the right. Some people break up their book/class notes by chapter but I just do one big master file. A to-do section is also very helpful. I also highlight what will probably go in my outline, and supplement notes go in a different color of text.

Generally just do whatever works for you in Onenote, as long as it's semi-organized and you don't have some 100-page Word file.

CFC11

Postby CFC11 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:49 am

Thank you!! :D

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:54 am

This is the best deal around for students... HANDS DOWN. http://www.microsoft.com/student/office ... fault.aspx

I love one-note because the visual organization is up my alley and the find feature that you can restrict to the page, to a set of notebooks, etc. is f*ing awesome during cold calls, exams etc. It also autosaves so if your computer gives you the screen of death you don't lose anything

But people use word and I think it works just fine too...

Best software advice I have is BACK YOUR SHIT UP. ALL THE TIME. You don't want to be that guy/girl who loses everything right before finals. I have a USB on my keychain and back up my notebooks every other day or so on it, but a lot of people use one of those virtual storage sites on the internet.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:13 am

animalcrkrs wrote:This is the best deal around for students... HANDS DOWN. http://www.microsoft.com/student/office ... fault.aspx

I love one-note because the visual organization is up my alley and the find feature that you can restrict to the page, to a set of notebooks, etc. is f*ing awesome during cold calls, exams etc. It also autosaves so if your computer gives you the screen of death you don't lose anything

Best software advice I have is BACK YOUR SHIT UP. ALL THE TIME. You don't want to be that guy/girl who loses everything right before finals. I have a USB on my keychain and back up my notebooks every other day or so on it, but a lot of people use one of those virtual storage sites on the internet.

Dropbox is probably the best automatic backup system. 2GB free, which is more than enough for word/one note files. Acts as a normal folder on your system that is automatically backed up at all times. Even has previous instances of files in case you deleted it off your hard drive or made changes to it accidentally. I used to carry around a USB and copy files to it, but Dropbox has completely eliminated that need since I can always access my files with an internet connection.

Use my referral to get extra space for the both of us: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTUxMTU4MDk

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:25 pm

dutchstriker wrote:
animalcrkrs wrote:This is the best deal around for students... HANDS DOWN. http://www.microsoft.com/student/office ... fault.aspx

Dropbox is probably the best automatic backup system. 2GB free, which is more than enough for word/one note files. Acts as a normal folder on your system that is automatically backed up at all times. Even has previous instances of files in case you deleted it off your hard drive or made changes to it accidentally. I used to carry around a USB and copy files to it, but Dropbox has completely eliminated that need since I can always access my files with an internet connection.

Use my referral to get extra space for the both of us: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTUxMTU4MDk

Nonono, use my referral to get extra space for both of US! :)

GroundBooth

Postby GroundBooth » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:30 am

SPAM REMOVED

dtl

Postby dtl » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:56 am

Has anyone tried using Evernote? It seems very similar to OneNote in features and the ability to cloud my notes to my tablet, laptop, desktop or phone seems really appealing. Does it have *any* following out there?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 am

Paper and pen

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Im a 0L. But the overview of "how to study" Law School Confidential sounded very reasonable and legitimate. Its worth checking out...not worth buying.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:25 pm

I discovered OneNote at the end of my first semester of 1L. It's so excellent, I kicked myself for the hours and hours of time wasted in MS Word.

OneNote is always the correct answer.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:59 pm

I used OneNote and I loved it. I even ran it on a mac laptop (boot camp/Windows OS).

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Pen and paper, way more reliable than anything Microsoft. You could also take notes on Wordperfect though, I suppose.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:42 am

Used OneNote my 1L year. It worked well. But to be honest, I think I could have gotten by just fine with Word.

Got a Mac now, so I'm going to give Circus Ponies Notebook a whirl. It looks fine too.

bernard97

Postby bernard97 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:58 am

Google docs. Its all in the cloudddddd

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:17 pm

dtl wrote:Has anyone tried using Evernote? It seems very similar to OneNote in features and the ability to cloud my notes to my tablet, laptop, desktop or phone seems really appealing. Does it have *any* following out there?

I'm interested in the answer to this question in case anyone has thoughts/experience.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:14 am

bearsEATtrees wrote:I'm going to be a 1L in the fall and am probably not going to get a new lap top since mine is still in working condition. But I was wondering if there is a better note taking program than simply using Microsoft Word like I did in undergrad. Any suggestions?? (btw I have a PC)

pen and paper

or One Note

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”