Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Screwed out of scholarship $$ - What to do?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:57 pm 

Hello all,

I am a rising 2L at my law school. Coming into LS, I was offered a scholarship equal to about half-tuition. I had a solid undergrad GPA, and a decent LSAT for my school's range, so they offered me a Dean's Scholarship. Great.

So now that 1L year has ended, the school has issued merit-based scholarships for students who did well. Students above a certain GPA each received scholarship money, with the best students receiving the most money.

After anxiously awaiting my envelope in the mail, I have not received anything from my school. I am still waiting for a call back, but it appears I have been glossed over for a merit scholarship because I already had a scholarship from the school. However, that scholarship was based on my undergrad achievements, and had nothing to do with my 1L performance. (The reason for my hypothesis is that the school has repeatedly told people that they are short on money due to smaller donations from alumni. )

I am ranked in the top 10 of my class, close to top 1%. I worked very hard and now I think they are trying to deny me scholarship money that I earned.

Should I be furious? Is it fair for them to give $10k in merit money to other students who did just as well as me, but then give me nothing because I already had a half-tuition scholly coming into school? I can almost foresee them telling me that they already gave out all their money....this is some bullcrap!

What would you do in my position?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Screwed out of scholarship $$ - What to do?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:05 pm 

Ask the administration what the policy is regarding additional scholarships. Probably you were immediately excluded from the running and you just didn't know it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:06 pm 

Hmm, that is a tough position. I don't think you were "screwed" or that you are entitled to the money. But I do think it is legitimate to want to contact the school and discuss the situation. Typically they give these scholarships to prevent people from transferring. The idea being you wouldn't walk away from so much money. You already have plenty of reasons (half tuition worth) not to walk away. So when you view if from their perspective it is more than fair. I'd try to get a place where I was no longer pissed or obsessed with fairness, and then sit down with the financial aid office. Good luck and congratulations on your grades!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:09 pm 

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:10 pm 

Transfer?

And yeah, unless they told you before 1L that you could get more, then I'd say you're possibly SOL.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:11 pm 

What you should have done was applied to transfer to higher ranked schools (T14) to show you were willing to play hardball. Schools will often pony up the money to show they aren't just places people use as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:13 pm 

I think I am misunderstanding why you are upset. Do you think you should be given an extra 10k, on top of the scholarship you already receive, because you did well during 1L? Is it protocol for your school to increase your scholarship if you do well?

If I did not misunderstand, perhaps your school does not look to ppl who already have significant scholarship. Remember, you are the top 1% because it was your goal as a law student, period. You worked hard because it will serve you well later in your career. You are not striving for 1% so you can demand "deserved" money.

I think it is fair for you to ask you FA Office about it and try to do what you can to be considered for any additional money that may come up. But, as far as you being angry over this, that seems both greedy and unnecessary.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:30 pm 

I supposed "Screwed" wasn't the right word to use. Rather than trying to come off as whiny, I had to be extreme in the thread title to catch more attention :)

Anyway, by no means do I feel entitled to this money. Clearly it is in the school's best interest to give out as little money as possible. My point of view was that it was unfair to preclude me from receiving merit money simply because I am already on an unrelated scholarship.

Besides, with the state of the economy and our profession, you guys should be the first ones to recognize when a law student is having to pay way more money in tuition than their degree could actually be worth. Tuition at my school is $35k and rising.

In the end, you'll never get anything if you don't ask for it. I am going to approach them about this tomorrow and see what I can do. Since this is TLS, it's automatically presumed that I would be "bitching" in their office like a brat, when in reality I would take a far more calm and professional approach. I didn't think I had to be calm and professional on this message board though :)

Anyways thanks for the responses, keep them coming!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:31 pm 

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:23 pm 

dslslave wrote:
Hello all,

I am a rising 2L at my law school. Coming into LS, I was offered a scholarship equal to about half-tuition. I had a solid undergrad GPA, and a decent LSAT for my school's range, so they offered me a Dean's Scholarship. Great.

So now that 1L year has ended, the school has issued merit-based scholarships for students who did well. Students above a certain GPA each received scholarship money, with the best students receiving the most money.

After anxiously awaiting my envelope in the mail, I have not received anything from my school. I am still waiting for a call back, but it appears I have been glossed over for a merit scholarship because I already had a scholarship from the school. However, that scholarship was based on my undergrad achievements, and had nothing to do with my 1L performance. (The reason for my hypothesis is that the school has repeatedly told people that they are short on money due to smaller donations from alumni. )

I am ranked in the top 10 of my class, close to top 1%. I worked very hard and now I think they are trying to deny me scholarship money that I earned.

Should I be furious? Is it fair for them to give $10k in merit money to other students who did just as well as me, but then give me nothing because I already had a half-tuition scholly coming into school? I can almost foresee them telling me that they already gave out all their money....this is some bullcrap!

What would you do in my position?

Transfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 pm 

i think you should be upset, and i think you should transfer. i think you've earned money, and if you are top 10 there are probably people getting money that did not do as well as you, and that sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 pm 

Transfer to hys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 pm 

dslslave wrote:
I supposed "Screwed" wasn't the right word to use. Rather than trying to come off as whiny, I had to be extreme in the thread title to catch more attention :)

Anyway, by no means do I feel entitled to this money. Clearly it is in the school's best interest to give out as little money as possible. My point of view was that it was unfair to preclude me from receiving merit money simply because I am already on an unrelated scholarship.

Besides, with the state of the economy and our profession, you guys should be the first ones to recognize when a law student is having to pay way more money in tuition than their degree could actually be worth. Tuition at my school is $35k and rising.

In the end, you'll never get anything if you don't ask for it. I am going to approach them about this tomorrow and see what I can do. Since this is TLS, it's automatically presumed that I would be "bitching" in their office like a brat, when in reality I would take a far more calm and professional approach. I didn't think I had to be calm and professional on this message board though :)

Lucky bastard.

Edited for clarity :?

Last edited by stratocophic on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:52 pm 

I'm in the same position. I finished 1L year at my T25 in the top 6 students or so. When I approached financial aid for more $$ (I'm currently receiving below the median scholarship amount), I was told there was no readjusting scholarships, not even if others transfer out to free up money in my class. So I applied to transfer, and will approach them again when I have decisions. If they still say no, then me and my future alumni support are gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:26 pm 

transfers are pretty much over

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:40 pm 

Go get two professor LOR's tomorrow, have them faxed to LSAC, and overnight everything else to transfer schools. Transfer to the t14.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:52 pm 

Meh. Can't be worse then having next to no scholarship, finishing in the top 10%, knowing full well that practically everyone you know (who did much worse than you) has a half-ride and you either get the shaft or have to accept the pain that is transferring law schools.

/rant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:11 pm 

Dude fight for you scholarship; you do want to be a lawyer, right? forget your big girl pants; grow a pair and advocate for yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:52 pm 

What does your student handbook say about the situation?

You're probably SOL unless there is an express policy in your favor or you have some leverage (transfer acceptance in hand).

Gratuitous scholarships are gratuitous.

Good luck and congrats on first year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:34 pm 

This should all be in the scholarship section of your school's student handbook, which, frankly, I'm surprised you didn't pore over carefully.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 am 

Not to hijack, but let's say you come into law school with little to no merit scholarship and then somehow get top 2-5% -- would most top schools seriously only give you ~10,000? What if you have offers to transfer to a better school? What if you're AA?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:21 am 

they don't like you and are trying to force you to transfer?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:23 am 

just a question: could OP have lost the scholly if he did poorly? i don't know if that matters, and am on the phone, so can't think it through lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 am 

OP, are you at nova in florida? Transfer, now. At top 1% you can probably do well as a transfer,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:55 am 

dslslave wrote:

I'm with you here -- not sure why some here think you should take this lying down. I don't think they "screwed" you, but you certainly have a valid reason to ask for more money. Like you said, more $ is less debt and TLS of all places should recognize that.

Deal with it like you have to deal with the phone company or tech support; firm but unemotional. The timing might be wrong, but apply to transfer ASAP if possible. Simply having the apps out there gives you leverage you don't have right now.