Closing Thoughts

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Burger in a can

Re: Closing Thoughts

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:16 pm

acdisagod wrote:
Your writing, is of course, really crappy. And, what's more, you make rather poor arguments. But, I do beleive, that of course, you must realize, that writing like this, is annoying. And, yes, I do beleive, that you should stop, writing like this.

What are you talking about? I think his writing is just swell! Here, for instance, is an example of a real jewel of a sentence:
Thane Messinger wrote: I owe you all an apology, as my message veered into the snide tone that is a major part of the problem among a group of extremely talented individuals who, unfortunately, have a need for others to know just how talented they are.

Obviously this guy is a cunning wordsmith, who never leans on sentence fragments bordered by commas, to conceal the fact that what he's saying, isn't actually interesting in the slightest.

Edit: I was actually so impressed that I made a picture to commemorate this joyous thread!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
acdisagod wrote:
Your writing, is of course, really crappy. And, what's more, you make rather poor arguments. But, I do beleive, that of course, you must realize, that writing like this, is annoying. And, yes, I do beleive, that you should stop, writing like this.

What are you talking about? I think his writing is just swell! Here, for instance, is an example of a real jewel of a sentence:
Thane Messinger wrote: I owe you all an apology, as my message veered into the snide tone that is a major part of the problem among a group of extremely talented individuals who, unfortunately, have a need for others to know just how talented they are.

Obviously this guy is a cunning wordsmith, who never leans on sentence fragments bordered by commas, to conceal the fact that what he's saying, isn't actually interesting in the slightest.

Edit: I was actually so impressed that I made a picture to commemorate this joyous thread!

For what it's worth that sentence is 100% grammatically correct. Your sentence about leaning on fragments bordered by comments is not. :wink:

GJ on the picture though.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Tanicius wrote:
For what it's worth that sentence is 100% grammatically correct. Your sentence about leaning on fragments bordered by comments is not. :wink:

GJ on the picture though.

I never claimed it wasn't correct- I meant to imply that it is terribly constructed. Proper grammar doesn't equal good writing.

My sentence was intended to parody his style.

GJ on the detective work though, Sherlock. :wink:

jdhonest

Postby jdhonest » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Cunning wordsmith?

More like cunning linguist!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
I never claimed it wasn't correct- I meant to imply that it is terribly constructed. Proper grammar doesn't equal good writing.

The thing is, that sentence isn't poorly constructed. Maybe it's just a bad example, but that particular sentence is constructed exactly how it should be. There's not a single superfluous comma. "As" starts a subordinating clause and should therefore be preceded by a comma. The adverb "unfortunately" is bordered by commas out of the understandable desire to isolate and accentuate it.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:26 am

Are you guys for real?? This banter ranges from mildly irritating to scary. But, my limited horizons are being expanded, for which I thank you.

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:28 am

Tanicius wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

The thing is, that sentence isn't poorly constructed. Maybe it's just a bad example, but that particular sentence is constructed exactly how it should be. There's not a single superfluous comma. "As" starts a subordinating clause and should therefore be preceded by a comma. The adverb "unfortunately" is bordered by commas out of the understandable desire to isolate and accentuate it.

It's poorly constructed because it's nigh unreadable, mate!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:37 am

mallard wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

It's poorly constructed because it's nigh unreadable, mate!

Well, your avatar is a duck.

And mine is Otto von Bismarck.

And Burger In A Can's is a hamburger.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”