Closing Thoughts Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Burger in a can

Silver

Re: Closing Thoughts

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:16 pm

acdisagod wrote:
Your writing, is of course, really crappy. And, what's more, you make rather poor arguments. But, I do beleive, that of course, you must realize, that writing like this, is annoying. And, yes, I do beleive, that you should stop, writing like this.
What are you talking about? I think his writing is just swell! Here, for instance, is an example of a real jewel of a sentence:
Thane Messinger wrote: I owe you all an apology, as my message veered into the snide tone that is a major part of the problem among a group of extremely talented individuals who, unfortunately, have a need for others to know just how talented they are.

Obviously this guy is a cunning wordsmith, who never leans on sentence fragments bordered by commas, to conceal the fact that what he's saying, isn't actually interesting in the slightest.

Edit: I was actually so impressed that I made a picture to commemorate this joyous thread!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
acdisagod wrote:
Your writing, is of course, really crappy. And, what's more, you make rather poor arguments. But, I do beleive, that of course, you must realize, that writing like this, is annoying. And, yes, I do beleive, that you should stop, writing like this.
What are you talking about? I think his writing is just swell! Here, for instance, is an example of a real jewel of a sentence:
Thane Messinger wrote: I owe you all an apology, as my message veered into the snide tone that is a major part of the problem among a group of extremely talented individuals who, unfortunately, have a need for others to know just how talented they are.

Obviously this guy is a cunning wordsmith, who never leans on sentence fragments bordered by commas, to conceal the fact that what he's saying, isn't actually interesting in the slightest.

Edit: I was actually so impressed that I made a picture to commemorate this joyous thread!
For what it's worth that sentence is 100% grammatically correct. Your sentence about leaning on fragments bordered by comments is not. :wink:

GJ on the picture though.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Tanicius wrote:
For what it's worth that sentence is 100% grammatically correct. Your sentence about leaning on fragments bordered by comments is not. :wink:

GJ on the picture though.
I never claimed it wasn't correct- I meant to imply that it is terribly constructed. Proper grammar doesn't equal good writing.

My sentence was intended to parody his style.

GJ on the detective work though, Sherlock. :wink:

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Cunning wordsmith?

More like cunning linguist!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
I never claimed it wasn't correct- I meant to imply that it is terribly constructed. Proper grammar doesn't equal good writing.
The thing is, that sentence isn't poorly constructed. Maybe it's just a bad example, but that particular sentence is constructed exactly how it should be. There's not a single superfluous comma. "As" starts a subordinating clause and should therefore be preceded by a comma. The adverb "unfortunately" is bordered by commas out of the understandable desire to isolate and accentuate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:26 am

Are you guys for real?? This banter ranges from mildly irritating to scary. But, my limited horizons are being expanded, for which I thank you.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:28 am

Tanicius wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
The thing is, that sentence isn't poorly constructed. Maybe it's just a bad example, but that particular sentence is constructed exactly how it should be. There's not a single superfluous comma. "As" starts a subordinating clause and should therefore be preceded by a comma. The adverb "unfortunately" is bordered by commas out of the understandable desire to isolate and accentuate it.
It's poorly constructed because it's nigh unreadable, mate!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:37 am

mallard wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
It's poorly constructed because it's nigh unreadable, mate!
Well, your avatar is a duck.

And mine is Otto von Bismarck.

And Burger In A Can's is a hamburger.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”