What do you guys think of this?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby TheTopBloke » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:03 am

MTal wrote:
Tautology wrote: The situation of the daughter of the girl in the video you presented is not the situation that most of us will face.


Of course not. You've been groomed for success since childhood...there is no stopping you. All the horror stories of ivy league grads being unable to find work and drowning under a mountain of debt can be attributed to personal failings. Obviously those losers didn't work hard or didn't network enough. You, however, are a different story. You are a unique snowflake who's inexorable rise to the top of the social pyramid is a foregone conclusion. So go ahead my boy...take that $200k and dump it right into the laps of the law schools...they will ensure that your path to society's elite remains unimpeded. Just remember us little people who believed in you when you are eating beluga caviar out of your alden shoes and lighting Cuban cigars from the exhaust pipe of your lamborghini.


Yeah, that's right. I prefer sushi, Ferraris and Mephistos.

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby Tautology » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:04 am

MTal wrote:
Tautology wrote: The situation of the daughter of the girl in the video you presented is not the situation that most of us will face.


Of course not. You've been groomed for success since childhood...there is no stopping you. All the horror stories of ivy league grads being unable to find work and drowning under a mountain of debt can be attributed to personal failings. Obviously those losers didn't work hard or didn't network enough. You, however, are a different story. You are a unique snowflake who's inexorable rise to the top of the social pyramid is a foregone conclusion. So go ahead my boy...take that $200k and dump it right into the laps of the law schools...they will ensure that your path to society's elite remains unimpeded. Just remember us little people who believed in you when you are eating beluga caviar out of your alden shoes and lighting Cuban cigars from the exhaust pipe of your lamborghini.


Show me the stories that this is the fate of most law school graduates, much less most law school graduates from T1 and T2 law schools, and we will no longer have reason to disagree.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby sundance95 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 am

MTal wrote:
Tautology wrote: The situation of the daughter of the girl in the video you presented is not the situation that most of us will face.


Of course not. You've been groomed for success since childhood...there is no stopping you. All the horror stories of ivy league grads being unable to find work and drowning under a mountain of debt can be attributed to personal failings. Obviously those losers didn't work hard or didn't network enough. You, however, are a different story. You are a unique snowflake who's inexorable rise to the top of the social pyramid is a foregone conclusion. So go ahead my boy...take that $200k and dump it right into the laps of the law schools...they will ensure that your path to society's elite remains unimpeded. Just remember us little people who believed in you when you are eating beluga caviar out of your alden shoes and lighting Cuban cigars from the exhaust pipe of your lamborghini.


FYI: Your argument that we are all suffering from delusions of exceptionalism (what happens to one/some/most cannot/will not happen to me) sounds thin when you rely upon the opposite extreme of the same flawed logic to make your argument (what happens to one/some/most MUST happen to me).

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby MTal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:19 am

Tautology wrote:
MTal wrote:
Tautology wrote: The situation of the daughter of the girl in the video you presented is not the situation that most of us will face.


Of course not. You've been groomed for success since childhood...there is no stopping you. All the horror stories of ivy league grads being unable to find work and drowning under a mountain of debt can be attributed to personal failings. Obviously those losers didn't work hard or didn't network enough. You, however, are a different story. You are a unique snowflake who's inexorable rise to the top of the social pyramid is a foregone conclusion. So go ahead my boy...take that $200k and dump it right into the laps of the law schools...they will ensure that your path to society's elite remains unimpeded. Just remember us little people who believed in you when you are eating beluga caviar out of your alden shoes and lighting Cuban cigars from the exhaust pipe of your lamborghini.


Show me the stories that this is the fate of most law school graduates, much less most law school graduates from T1 and T2 law schools, and we will no longer have reason to disagree.


viewtopic.php?f=23&t=84033

This was posted by a 3L from a T10. I highly encourage you to read the whole post, however, if you don't have the time, here are some choice excerpts:

"I am a 3L at a T10 school, I'll share my view on the job market: It's bad. It's worse than anyone who is just now starting law school could even imagine. "

"One myth that seems like a common misconception that I think needs to be dispelled is that there is a tier of mid-level jobs between biglaw and $40k/yr. Make no mistake, there is not."

"You should know that many people are scrambling to find free, volunteer jobs right now and being turned away. The market is flooded with deferred big law outcasts who need to fill their time with something, anything."

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby zeth006 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:15 am

However you cut it, MTal, you're really asking for it.


What's your reason for spewing such negativity on TLS? If you truly believe your career is that fulfilling and that your decision to leave law school was a prudent one, why does your active TLS forum life seem to indicate otherwise? Do you feel you're doing the other posters here any favors by gleefully preaching to them that their future job prospects are less than favorable?


Internet trolls rarely have "satisfying careers." They're the type who live dissatisfying lives, feel small inside, and thus feel a need to bring down others to compensate for this feeling of abject insignificance. The only problem for the older trolls is because grade school school ended quite a while ago and/or they're not physically capable of exerting their dominance over their coworkers, they spend many hours of their work hours and what could be free time roaming internet forums and spewing insults and hatred. The negative backlash they receive reflects not the amusement of his flamers, but quite frankly something the troll lacks--something we call "a life."


I'm almost tempted to label you a troll based on your comment history. Maybe you have benign intentions of which we're all unaware! But I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear an explanation from you.

Regardless, if you're trying to help those of us whom you deem to be hopelessly doomed to never get jobs upon graduation, you're certainly doing a poor job. Quite frankly, I think there are better ways to spend time aside from hurling insults on an internet forum of all things. On a Sunday night, don't you have better things to do?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:47 am

MTal wrote:When the hugely indebted student loan losers start whining about how they were "tricked" into taking out massive loans...who do you think is going to be bailing them out?

That sounds great and full of indignation... but are you really arguing that you spend hours on an internet forum in order to prevent people that you know won't listen to you from making a choice that might lead to a redistribution of government expenditures? I mean, the ratio of time you waste here as compared to people you dissuade (and therefore prevent yourself from having to bail out) must be astonishingly low. If you're worried about economic imperatives, this has to be the biggest waste ever.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby MURPH » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:07 am

I for one am glad to have Mtal around here. This is a pretty damn big decision. It does us no good to have an echo chamber where everyone on TLS is going to be in the top of the class and go to a T-14 or transfer into one (with no 0L prep to boot). We would benefit from haveing some more contrarians around.

witorres89
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 am

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby witorres89 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:11 am

I am not rich by any means, however, I still hope to amass enough capital to start my own business in a few years.

lol law school is a bad investment because of the economy so instead your going to start a business

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:12 pm

betasteve wrote:
MTal wrote:
"One myth that seems like a common misconception that I think needs to be dispelled is that there is a tier of mid-level jobs between biglaw and $40k/yr. Make no mistake, there is not."

This quote discredits this guy's whole statement. He either isn't trying or he's fucked up somewhere. Even an untrained monkey can look at the nalp graph of salaries and find "midlaw" between biglaw and $40k/yr.

liberal arts majors may not understand how that graph works.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby MTal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:43 pm

betasteve wrote:
MTal wrote:
"One myth that seems like a common misconception that I think needs to be dispelled is that there is a tier of mid-level jobs between biglaw and $40k/yr. Make no mistake, there is not."

This quote discredits this guy's whole statement. He either isn't trying or he's fucked up somewhere. Even an untrained monkey can look at the nalp graph of salaries and find "midlaw" between biglaw and $40k/yr.


There is no midlaw for fresh grads, which is whom he was speaking of. Midlaw is composed almost entirely of Biglaw refugees who have a significant book of business to offer the firm, or other individuals with vast legal experience such as US attorneys or corporate in-house counsels. Midlaw has no use for fresh JD's with no book of business or practical legal skills.

User avatar
luhrenzo
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby luhrenzo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:21 pm

nah i'll just do biglaw and i won't have to worry about that

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby yo! » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:Why does his life history make him a pathetic dbag? The vast majority of us, myself included, would be wise to drop out if we have bad grades after 1L or realize law isn't for us.

Hate on him all you want, but don't let the fun with the ad homs deter you from hearing his point.


Have you actually read any of my posts? I'm not taking issue with his point; it is true for the most part. I have a problem with the way he presents his "advice." His tone takes douchebag to an entirely new level and reeks of bitterness. I don't call him a pathetic douche for dropping out of law school, I call him that for trolling on law forums and refusing to let go of this nonsensical urge to make everyone miserable. I don't see how he could honestly say that he is trying to help people by coming on here. This thread is in the forum for law students and obviously not intended to help 0Ls make informed decisions, so he can't pass it off as anything but douchbaggery. I mean, I just saw the guy tell someone that they aren't qualified for bartending school. Bottom line, the guy is a complete asshole, so who cares if I have a little fun at his expense? I'm fully aware of the terrible legal market and never once said that his claims were completely invalid. Learn to read properly or GTFO.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby MTal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:40 pm

yo! wrote: I mean, I just saw the guy tell someone that they aren't qualified for bartending school.


I wouldn't let someone who scored a 146 mix my drinks...would you?

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby yo! » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:45 pm

MTal wrote:
yo! wrote: I mean, I just saw the guy tell someone that they aren't qualified for bartending school.


I wouldn't let someone who scored a 146 mix my drinks...would you?


Since the median score is somewhere around 150, and nearly everyone who takes the test has at least attended most of college, I don't think it is out of line to suggest that a 146 scorer is at least of average intelligence. Couple that with the fact that the test is completely learnable, and it becomes clear that there is no basis for telling this person that they are too dumb for law school.

BTW: I haven't seen you try to argue that you aren't a completely socially inept asshole. Do you dispute this?

qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby qualster » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:44 pm

MTal wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COFtWCbzfTs&feature=related

Puts a human face on the financial catastrophe that the majority of you are getting yourselves into.


Oh, my gosh. That was awesome. I'm watching all of the others right now.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby sanpiero » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:00 pm

MTal wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:MTal, you incurred no law school debt and were able to transition successfully and get your accounting license. In all likelihood, you were able to save yourself from becoming a casualty of ITE. However.... why do you still even read this forum?


In answer to your question, see above. However, just wanted to point out that the series 7 is not an accounting license but a brokerage license, i.e. lets me place trades on behalf of my clients, give financial advice, open client accounts, etc...

Edit: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Se ... ative_Exam


so you're a snake oil salesman? how fulfilling!

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby sanpiero » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:01 pm

MTal wrote:
betasteve wrote:
MTal wrote:
"One myth that seems like a common misconception that I think needs to be dispelled is that there is a tier of mid-level jobs between biglaw and $40k/yr. Make no mistake, there is not."

This quote discredits this guy's whole statement. He either isn't trying or he's fucked up somewhere. Even an untrained monkey can look at the nalp graph of salaries and find "midlaw" between biglaw and $40k/yr.


There is no midlaw for fresh grads, which is whom he was speaking of. Midlaw is composed almost entirely of Biglaw refugees who have a significant book of business to offer the firm, or other individuals with vast legal experience such as US attorneys or corporate in-house counsels. Midlaw has no use for fresh JD's with no book of business or practical legal skills.


you're full of shit. look at the graph.

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby Matteliszt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Wait......the economy is bad?

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
betasteve wrote:
MTal wrote:
"One myth that seems like a common misconception that I think needs to be dispelled is that there is a tier of mid-level jobs between biglaw and $40k/yr. Make no mistake, there is not."

This quote discredits this guy's whole statement. He either isn't trying or he's fucked up somewhere. Even an untrained monkey can look at the nalp graph of salaries and find "midlaw" between biglaw and $40k/yr.

liberal arts majors may not understand how that graph works.
Wait for it...
betasteve wrote:
MTal wrote:
betasteve wrote:
MTal wrote:
"One myth that seems like a common misconception that I think needs to be dispelled is that there is a tier of mid-level jobs between biglaw and $40k/yr. Make no mistake, there is not."

This quote discredits this guy's whole statement. He either isn't trying or he's fucked up somewhere. Even an untrained monkey can look at the nalp graph of salaries and find "midlaw" between biglaw and $40k/yr.


There is no midlaw for fresh grads, which is whom he was speaking of. Midlaw is composed almost entirely of Biglaw refugees who have a significant book of business to offer the firm, or other individuals with vast legal experience such as US attorneys or corporate in-house counsels. Midlaw has no use for fresh JD's with no book of business or practical legal skills.

That's absolutely incorrect. The Nalp salary chart is compiled data of class of X graduates - i.e. those that are fresh into the market for that year. They are not attorneys with any bit of prior work experience.
Confirmed!




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baller31 and 2 guests