do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Tsispilos
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:37 pm

do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby Tsispilos » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:28 pm

If your only interest in trusts and estates is passing the bar, do you really need to take the course? Is it considered "general lawyer literacy" the way fed courts, evidence, and admin seem to be?

User avatar
Jarndyce
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby Jarndyce » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 pm

It's on the bar, so it would probably help to have a class in it.

Also, why rule anything out? If you ever become a solo practitioner, you will be a trust and estate lawyer whether you like it or not. And many big firms have trusts and estates divisions... I just don't see the reason to rule something out that is such a big part of the law.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:33 pm

Jarndyce wrote:It's on the bar, so it would probably help to have a class in it.

User avatar
steve_nash
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby steve_nash » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:51 pm

I don't see a reason to take a class just because it's on the bar. I've taken T&E, mainly because I liked property a lot. However, I think you could learn what you need to know about T&E for the bar from a bar class. T&E is a yawner for many people.

User avatar
profs<3mycomments
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby profs<3mycomments » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Jarndyce wrote:It's on the bar, so it would probably help to have a class in it.


I disagree, if you take everything that's on the bar that's all you'll get to take. I don't plan on taking it. Also, IMO it's good advice that if you do well your first year you don't need to take as many bar classes. If law school is a struggle for you, you might wanna take a few more. (This advice came from the dean of students at a T14 btw.)

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:17 pm

It's not necessarily on every bar. T&E isn't on the MBE.

I never took T&E, but I will be learning it next week in Barbri. For the most part, it's not necessary to take bar courses. 1L year gives you all the bar foundation you need.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby Bosque » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:18 pm

From what I have heard, you can Barbri pretty much anything. I am only taking the classes I am interested in. T&E happens to not be one of those classes. (Tax is another I am avoiding like the plague.)

I suppose in the end it will probably make me unemployable in those areas which I have zero desire to be employed in. Well gosh darn golly gee, aint that a dang tootin shame?

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:20 pm

T&E happens to not be one of those classes. (Tax is another I am avoiding like the plague.)


I think tax is a lot more interesting that people who are not familiar with it assume. You would be surprised by how many people who take tax thinking they will hate it end up changing their mind. That said, Tax isn't even on the bar in most states.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby Bosque » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:44 pm

nealric wrote:
T&E happens to not be one of those classes. (Tax is another I am avoiding like the plague.)


I think tax is a lot more interesting that people who are not familiar with it assume. You would be surprised by how many people who take tax thinking they will hate it end up changing their mind. That said, Tax isn't even on the bar in most states.


I have worked on a few problems involving tax law at my work this summer. I KNOW I don't like it.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:01 pm

I have worked on a few problems involving tax law at my work this summer. I KNOW I don't like it.


Tax is not for everyone, but it really really helps to have some background before working on tax matters. It's not an area of law you can just pick up and run with.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: do you need to take T&E if you dont wanna practice it?

Postby Bosque » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 pm

nealric wrote:
I have worked on a few problems involving tax law at my work this summer. I KNOW I don't like it.


Tax is not for everyone, but it really really helps to have some background before working on tax matters. It's not an area of law you can just pick up and run with.


Oh I know. Believe me I know.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atticus25, sr1986, Wipfelder, Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests