got law review invite....

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
haberbe

got law review invite....

Postby haberbe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:26 pm

question: I got a law review invite today. Our school has 3 LRs, and I was selected to join all of them as an editor. I am a rising 2L, and I thought that we only got offered staff positions our first year on the LR. Does it mean anything that I was offered to join as an editor? Is there a difference between editor and staff positions? I selected to join the school flagship LR.

a little context - i am at a school in the 50-60 range. i am definitely in the top 5% (still shooting for the number one spot :D ), but official rankings have not come out yet. We could grade-on or write on, but they do not tell us how we got on with the invite (we had to do the writing competition, even if we ultimately could grade on)

my question weather whether (edited for the sticklers) it means anything that i was invited as an editor.
Last edited by haberbe on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeshmo39

Re: got law review invite....

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:28 pm

haberbe wrote:my question weather it means anything that i was invited as an editor.

I thought it was a flame, maybe, then this happened, then I dunno... no I just feel deflated.
Last edited by joeshmo39 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:28 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
haberbe wrote:my question weather it means anything that i was invited as an editor.

I thought it was a flame maybe then this happened then I dunno... no I just feel deflated.

+1

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:29 pm

UHH...

UHH...

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:32 pm

hey man, I am not an editor yet... I do not feel the need for perfection in forum posts, but perhaps I should try to do better if I am to be a responsible TLS poster (it took me a year to change from mere lurker to actual active participant)

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:33 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:

I thought it was a flame, maybe, then this happened, then I dunno... no I just feel deflated.

If it is a flame, it certainly is poor one.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:34 pm

haberbe wrote:hey man, I am not an editor yet... I do not feel the need for perfection in forum posts, but perhaps I should try to do better if I am to be a responsible TLS poster (it took me a year to change from mere lurker to actual active participant)

Not sure that was the issue.

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:35 pm

The what was? Enlighten me... I am home sick with nothing to do today

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:39 pm

haberbe wrote:The what was? Enlighten me... I am home sick with nothing to do today

The fact that you said you were invited on as an editor (while a rising 2L).

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:40 pm

why? I am still trying to figure out if that means anything and what it means.... that was the whole point of the question

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:40 pm

haberbe wrote:question: I got a law review invite today. Our school has 3 LRs, and I was selected to join all of them as an editor. I am a rising 2L, and I thought that we only got offered staff positions our first year on the LR. Does it mean anything that I was offered to join as an editor? Is there a difference between editor and staff positions? I selected to join the school flagship LR.

a little context - i am at a school in the 50-60 range. i am definitely in the top 5% (still shooting for the number one spot :D ), but official rankings have not come out yet. We could grade-on or write on, but they do not tell us how we got on with the invite (we had to do the writing competition, even if we ultimately could grade on)

my question weather whether (edited for the sticklers) it means anything that i was invited as an editor.

OK - someone has to be nice. Editorial Board (i.e. "editor") = staff. Managing Board (i.e. Articles Editor, Executive Editor, etc.) = management.

So, if you're 'staff', you're an editor. If you're X Editor, you're managing board.

haberbe

Postby haberbe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Well, this is TLS... no one ever really has to be nice :D ... but thanks for the response, I appreciate the one in 10 responses that actually address questions asked :D

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:16 pm

haberbe wrote:Well, this is TLS... no one ever really has to be nice :D ... but thanks for the response, I appreciate the one in 10 responses that actually address questions asked :D

I think it's a vicious cycle: Someone is mean to us when we post a questions so we become hardened and are mean to others.

LoriBelle

Postby LoriBelle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:45 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
haberbe wrote:question: I got a law review invite today. Our school has 3 LRs, and I was selected to join all of them as an editor. I am a rising 2L, and I thought that we only got offered staff positions our first year on the LR. Does it mean anything that I was offered to join as an editor? Is there a difference between editor and staff positions? I selected to join the school flagship LR.

OK - someone has to be nice. Editorial Board (i.e. "editor") = staff. Managing Board (i.e. Articles Editor, Executive Editor, etc.) = management.

So, if you're 'staff', you're an editor. If you're X Editor, you're managing board.

This is not the way it works at my school. Law review members who are 2Ls are simply "staff members." The 3Ls are either on the Editorial Board (Articles Editor, Notes Editor, etc.) or remain staff members. Our law review does not have a "Managing Board." Maybe it's different at every school.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:51 pm

If this is real, five internet dollars says OP goes to Florida State.

yinz

Postby yinz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:06 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I think it's a vicious cycle: Someone is mean to us when we post a questions so we become hardened and are mean to others.

I have a questions for all: can't we break the vicious cycle?

Just kidding S4Me, you're the man.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Some schools call all staff members (first-year members) "editors." You did not get a position any different from your classmates.

Congrats!

Machine Spirit

Postby Machine Spirit » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:12 am

It sounds like the journals differentiate between "editors" and actual "managing editors." You should likely ask someone who actually goes to your school.

On a side note, it seems strange that you were invited to all three. At my school at least, all of the journal heads get together and parcel the selections out, so that you only get one invite (sort of like the fraternity/sorority bid system I suppose...).

RudeDudewithAttitude

Postby RudeDudewithAttitude » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 am

ggocat wrote:Some schools call all staff members (first-year members) "editors." You did not get a position any different from your classmates.

Congrats!

Probably this. My school has "associate EDITORS" for 2L's and "senior EDITORS" with titles for 3L's, such as Lead Articles Editor, etc.

Machine Spirit

Postby Machine Spirit » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:23 am

Kchuck wrote:If this is real, five internet dollars says OP goes to Florida State.

You're on. I'm going with Loyola (LA).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”