Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Cleareyes » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 pm

mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


It's like he peered inside my mind and turned my picture thoughts into words. I think I will worship him through dance and animal sacrifice for he is surely a law school god come to post among us.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby jmhendri » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


It's like he peered inside my mind and turned my picture thoughts into words. I think I will worship him through dance and animal sacrifice for he is surely a law school god come to post among us.


Quiet! He speaks not to you... he speaks to the lurksters of TLS more prone and open to success.
Last edited by jmhendri on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby mallard » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Yeah, because TLS people who hate on his book are like gunners.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby danidancer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:08 pm

mallard wrote:Yeah, because TLS people who hate on his book are like gunners.


It's cool, the lurkers will all love it, apparently. Who knew posting on an internet forum = failure at law school?

User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Cleareyes » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:10 pm

jmhendri wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


It's like he peered inside my mind and turned my picture thoughts into words. I think I will worship him through dance and animal sacrifice for he is surely a law school god come to post among us.


Quiet! He speaks not to you... he speaks to the lurkersters of TLS more prone and open to success.


'Tis true, 'tis true, for I have already finished 1L and am beyond the help of the mighty one. Oh calamity. Oh end of life. My failures like before me like an undulating sea of the faces I have known, each mouthing disapproval and scorn for my meager performance. If I had only followed the way of the Thane. If I had only thought to get out with the gold I would not be consigned to the failure pile where I will live the rest of my life. I will sing a dirge now. In sadness for what could have been and what never came to pass. My sadness will be audible to all. Heed my warning. Walk not on to the battlefield unarmored my friends, lest ye fall to the mighty blow of the curve and, still young and beautiful but not for long, join the ever moving line of the damned walking down into the basement hell of shitlaw and doc review.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 pm

(this might seem an oxymoron, but that’s what will happen…like an academic fetal cry for comfort, students will almost hug themselves)

Is this how they teach us to write at UT? I'm starting to second-guess my choice.

Oh well, at least Bryan Garner is also a UT man, so it can't be too bad.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby mallard » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


It's like he peered inside my mind and turned my picture thoughts into words. I think I will worship him through dance and animal sacrifice for he is surely a law school god come to post among us.


Quiet! He speaks not to you... he speaks to the lurkersters of TLS more prone and open to success.


'Tis true, 'tis true, for I have already finished 1L and am beyond the help of the mighty one. Oh calamity. Oh end of life. My failures like before me like an undulating sea of the faces I have known, each mouthing disapproval and scorn for my meager performance. If I had only followed the way of the Thane. If I had only thought to get out with the gold I would not be consigned to the failure pile where I will live the rest of my life. I will sing a dirge now. In sadness for what could have been and what never came to pass. My sadness will be audible to all. Heed my warning. Walk not on to the battlefield unarmored my friends, lest ye fall to the mighty blow of the curve and, still young and beautiful but not for long, join the ever moving line of the damned walking down into the basement hell of shitlaw and doc review.


*stands alone on a grassy hill overlooking shitlaw offices and plays Taps on a keytar*

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby solidsnake » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:14 pm

Egregious abuse of italics.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Cleareyes wrote:'Tis true, 'tis true, for I have already finished 1L and am beyond the help of the mighty one. Oh calamity. Oh end of life. My failures like before me like an undulating sea of the faces I have known, each mouthing disapproval and scorn for my meager performance. If I had only followed the way of the Thane. If I had only thought to get out with the gold I would not be consigned to the failure pile where I will live the rest of my life. I will sing a dirge now. In sadness for what could have been and what never came to pass. My sadness will be audible to all. Heed my warning. Walk not on to the battlefield unarmored my friends, lest ye fall to the mighty blow of the curve and, still young and beautiful but not for long, join the ever moving line of the damned walking down into the basement hell of shitlaw and doc review.

--ImageRemoved--

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby rando » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:18 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
(this might seem an oxymoron, but that’s what will happen…like an academic fetal cry for comfort, students will almost hug themselves)

Is this how they teach us to write at UT? I'm starting to second-guess my choice.

Oh well, at least Bryan Garner is also a UT man, so it can't be too bad.


Isnt it just that they don't teach you to write at all? I.e. above the law UT legal writing fiasco...

Just playin. Bryan Garner rocks. You should seriously disavow Thane though.

User avatar
edcrane
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby edcrane » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Why?

Thane Messinger
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Thane Messinger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:39 am

mallard wrote:Thane, how did you end up doing at UT?


Law review editor, actually, but apparently they have bad taste too.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:40 am

Thane Messinger wrote:
mallard wrote:Thane, how did you end up doing at UT?


Law review editor, actually, but apparently they have bad taste too.


lol!

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Ty Webb » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:52 am

ram jam wrote:
All these phrases they’re supposed to know. What do they mean?


... fucking magnets, how do they work?


--ImageRemoved--

Thane Messinger
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Thane Messinger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:53 am

rando wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
(this might seem an oxymoron, but that’s what will happen…like an academic fetal cry for comfort, students will almost hug themselves)

Is this how they teach us to write at UT? I'm starting to second-guess my choice.

Oh well, at least Bryan Garner is also a UT man, so it can't be too bad.


Isnt it just that they don't teach you to write at all? I.e. above the law UT legal writing fiasco...

Just playin. Bryan Garner rocks. You should seriously disavow Thane though.



Garner does rock, and UT was demented not to fund his dictionary with OED. As to the other fellow, yes, I would disavow him if I could find him.

PS: Will figure out how to write as soon as I learn to read.
Last edited by Thane Messinger on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thane Messinger
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Thane Messinger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:55 am

Cleareyes wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


It's like he peered inside my mind and turned my picture thoughts into words. I think I will worship him through dance and animal sacrifice for he is surely a law school god come to post among us.


Quiet! He speaks not to you... he speaks to the lurkersters of TLS more prone and open to success.


'Tis true, 'tis true, for I have already finished 1L and am beyond the help of the mighty one. Oh calamity. Oh end of life. My failures like before me like an undulating sea of the faces I have known, each mouthing disapproval and scorn for my meager performance. If I had only followed the way of the Thane. If I had only thought to get out with the gold I would not be consigned to the failure pile where I will live the rest of my life. I will sing a dirge now. In sadness for what could have been and what never came to pass. My sadness will be audible to all. Heed my warning. Walk not on to the battlefield unarmored my friends, lest ye fall to the mighty blow of the curve and, still young and beautiful but not for long, join the ever moving line of the damned walking down into the basement hell of shitlaw and doc review.


That's pretty good.

See? Told you we'd have some fun.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:00 am

Cleareyes wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
It's like he peered inside my mind and turned my picture thoughts into words. I think I will worship him through dance and animal sacrifice for he is surely a law school god come to post among us.


Quiet! He speaks not to you... he speaks to the lurkersters of TLS more prone and open to success.


'Tis true, 'tis true, for I have already finished 1L and am beyond the help of the mighty one. Oh calamity. Oh end of life. My failures like before me like an undulating sea of the faces I have known, each mouthing disapproval and scorn for my meager performance. If I had only followed the way of the Thane. If I had only thought to get out with the gold I would not be consigned to the failure pile where I will live the rest of my life. I will sing a dirge now. In sadness for what could have been and what never came to pass. My sadness will be audible to all. Heed my warning. Walk not on to the battlefield unarmored my friends, lest ye fall to the mighty blow of the curve and, still young and beautiful but not for long, join the ever moving line of the damned walking down into the basement hell of shitlaw and doc review.

Image

furiotoo
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby furiotoo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:33 am

tldr






(How has that not been posted yet?)

More relevant thought: Using this forum to shill one's book removed any desire I may have otherwise had to read more than the excerpt available on Amazon. Which is a shame for the OP, considering I'm largely a lurker here, and therefore a member of the target audience.

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Tautology » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:39 am

mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


As a pedant and a science geek I am compelled to point out that quantum models of electrons involve absolutely no bouncing.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:41 am

Tautology wrote:
mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


As a pedant and a science geek I am compelled to point out that quantum models of electrons involve absolutely no bouncing.


Yes. Exactly. And they certainly don't "electrify each other."

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Tautology » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:43 am

mallard wrote:
Tautology wrote:
mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


As a pedant and a science geek I am compelled to point out that quantum models of electrons involve absolutely no bouncing.


Yes. Exactly. And they certainly don't "electrify each other."


I was gonna cut him some slack on that one since it's cute with words and all, and the idea that electrons might be eager to do anything. Failing on the premise of the analogy though was something I couldn't just let slide.

Thane Messinger
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Thane Messinger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:50 am

Tautology wrote:
mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


As a pedant and a science geek I am compelled to point out that quantum models of electrons involve absolutely no bouncing.


Point taken. Literary license not. = : )

Thane Messinger
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby Thane Messinger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:38 am

Tautology wrote:
mallard wrote:
Tautology wrote:
mallard wrote:I also loved "Like electrons, students bounce . . . , eager to electrify each other." lol.


As a pedant and a science geek I am compelled to point out that quantum models of electrons involve absolutely no bouncing.


Yes. Exactly. And they certainly don't "electrify each other."


I was gonna cut him some slack on that one since it's cute with words and all, and the idea that electrons might be eager to do anything. Failing on the premise of the analogy though was something I couldn't just let slide.


Tautology -

I must say I enjoyed your note, and will think of this for the next edition. Not sure what that might look like, but again, I liked your point.

More broadly--and not related to your post--I find this thread fascinating. Seems to me there's no greater proof for the 1,572-word paragraph as to what law students are in for.

In any event, I'm enjoying it. No doubt I've made other scientific faux pas in the book and elsewhere, so there's always tomorrow's critiques.

Thane.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:40 am

lolololol. Sleep well, Thane.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Setting the Stage: Or, How to Do Law School Wrong

Postby rando » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:53 am

Thane Messinger wrote:
More broadly--and not related to your post--I find this thread fascinating. Seems to me there's no greater proof for the 1,572-word paragraph as to what law students are in for.

In any event, I'm enjoying it. No doubt I've made other scientific faux pas in the book and elsewhere, so there's always tomorrow's critiques.

Thane.


Are you really shocked that you don't get a positive response to a post that serves to sell a product?

And even more so, to a foreword that has very little educational value for the soon to be law student. It is written like a novel and a very dense one at that.

To use the reactions here as some sort of "haha, this goes to prove my point" is downright silly.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigeast03, Egzon, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests