Tobacco use in Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rejectmaster

Tobacco use in Law School

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:13 pm

I was a pretty heavy smoker sophomore and jr years of college but i've all but quit and h aven't indulged in a cigarette in about two months.

I'm concerned though, that law school's stress will encourage me to resume this habit - I certainly utilized a varied arsenal of tobacco products through finals period every semester.

anyone with similar experience care to chime in?

ChewbaccaDefense

Re: Tobacco use in Law School

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:39 pm

First off, let me say congrats. I smoked about a 1.5 packs per week from 15 to 27.

If you're still using patches/gum/chaw during periods of heightened stress, then it sounds like you haven't quite purged your physical dependence on nicotine. That seems a little weird to me, because that's usually the first thing to go. Did you feel as though you really needed those things during finals; or did you take them because you didn't want to chance the distraction of fiending during the tests?

You're in a predicament. If you cut the nicotine altogether, you might experience some withdrawal which might negatively affect you. On the other hand, if you can get off them, you might experience a cognitive boost which would benefit you (this isn't substantiated, but I definitely felt sharper after quitting).

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

i found that gum/any variety smokeless would help me concentrate.. i wouldn't get twitchy or anything like that, but after writing a few pages a dip was a nice reward for having cranked out some solid work.

cigarettes were definitely stress-related though, i guess i figured out how to stay more relaxed so cigarettes have become a non-issue except for the occasional recreational/social smoke.

i'm just concerned that 1L year will be a burst like nothing else before and i want to be mentally equipped in case i relapse.

NCtoVAtoNC

Postby NCtoVAtoNC » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Congrats on nearly ridding yourself of the habit. I quit sometime after the October LSAT and haven't been back since. I was a smoker on and off through college and for some years after. I planned on quitting about a year ahead of the start of law school to allow myself some time to lose the habit completely, or at the very least, disassociate the need for a cig during times of high stress.

I chew a lot of gum now. I've also taken up running again and I can tell you the rewards of quitting (increased lung capacity and not smelling of tobacco)make me glad I quit when I did.

You could also simply replace one vice with another.

truffleshuffle

Postby truffleshuffle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:57 pm

NCtoVAtoNC wrote:Congrats on nearly ridding yourself of the habit. I quit sometime after the October LSAT and haven't been back since. I was a smoker on and off through college and for some years after. I planned on quitting about a year ahead of the start of law school to allow myself some time to lose the habit completely, or at the very least, disassociate the need for a cig during times of high stress.

I chew a lot of gum now. I've also taken up running again and I can tell you the rewards of quitting (increased lung capacity and not smelling of tobacco)make me glad I quit when I did.

I quit in Feb and I don't even think about it anymore, but I chew gum like a fiend. I buy the big 35 piece Orbit packs and go through 1 a week.

twert

Postby twert » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 pm

when i quit smoking i replaced it with green tea. it calms you when you are trying to concentrate and its something to look forward to. its also cheap.

after an admitted students event i went out to a bar with some current students and they all were chain smoking. i hope thats not typical of law students, though with the amount of stress i wouldn't be surprised.

NCtoVAtoNC

Postby NCtoVAtoNC » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 pm

truffleshuffle wrote:
NCtoVAtoNC wrote:Congrats on nearly ridding yourself of the habit. I quit sometime after the October LSAT and haven't been back since. I was a smoker on and off through college and for some years after. I planned on quitting about a year ahead of the start of law school to allow myself some time to lose the habit completely, or at the very least, disassociate the need for a cig during times of high stress.

I quit in Feb and I don't even think about it anymore, but I chew gum like a fiend. I buy the big 35 piece Orbit packs and go through 1 a week.

Same here. The money I would've saved by no longer buying cigs is being spent on packs of Orbit gum. I go for the Big-e-Pak or the three pack.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:15 pm

i think i'm going to keep that stupid snus stuff on hand that comes in tiny, habit-weaning sized pouches.

this may sound stupid, but i don't care if i'm chewing nicorette or a chaw once a day.

what really scares me is getting back into a routine including >10 cigarettes daily.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:22 pm

I smoked around pack a day from 17-23. I quit after the LSAT and I didn't start up during 1L. I allowed myself a couple after I was done with finals as a reward for not starting up again during the semesters. I think the key is if you crack DON'T do it at school. Don't get into the habit of taking smoke breaks at school, don't befriend smokers(by smoking not generally), don't become part of that crowd. I probably would have quit in college if I hadn't gotten into such a smokers routine and befriended all smokers.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:24 pm

sophie316 wrote:I smoked around pack a day from 17-23. I quit after the LSAT and I didn't start up during 1L. I allowed myself a couple after I was done with finals as a reward for not starting up again during the semesters. I think the key is if you crack DON'T do it at school. Don't get into the habit of taking smoke breaks at school, don't befriend smokers(by smoking not generally), don't become part of that crowd. I probably would have quit in college if I hadn't gotten into such a smokers routine and befriended all smokers.

This is credited. I stopped smoking in college, and slowly lost about half of my friends.

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:57 am

I quit smoking during 1L.

I find that my law school has only a few heavy smokers, but a much greater number of casual smokers. Only the heavy smokers really smoke at school, the rest only seem to do it out at the bar. It was kind of stigmatized for us this year (not really sure why), but a lot of people were super shady about the fact that they smoked at all.

My best advice is just to avoid the situations you usually smoked in so as not to start back up -- I smoked mostly when I drove and outside at bars so I stopped carrying cigarettes in my car, and literally didn't go outside at bars for awhile. After awhile it got easier.

I will say that on days I had finals first semester I let myself smoke one cigarette per final. But I couldn't even look at them by second semester. People smoke around me and I feel sick now.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:53 am

I quit using gum.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:37 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I quit using gum.

I'm so proud of you.

rando

Postby rando » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:08 am

lbeezy wrote:I quit smoking during 1L.

I find that my law school has only a few heavy smokers, but a much greater number of casual smokers. Only the heavy smokers really smoke at school, the rest only seem to do it out at the bar. It was kind of stigmatized for us this year (not really sure why), but a lot of people were super shady about the fact that they smoked at all.

My best advice is just to avoid the situations you usually smoked in so as not to start back up -- I smoked mostly when I drove and outside at bars so I stopped carrying cigarettes in my car, and literally didn't go outside at bars for awhile. After awhile it got easier.

I will say that on days I had finals first semester I let myself smoke one cigarette per final. But I couldn't even look at them by second semester. People smoke around me and I feel sick now.

Same here. Only a few regular smokers at my school. But more social smokers out at bars etc.

MissBecky

Postby MissBecky » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Ok, So guess I'm a pretty heavy smoker and I just started law school a few weeks ago and am astonished that there aren't more heavy smokers. --- and Yes, I know this is an older thread, but I didn't see any other related posts, so it seemed ok here.

Its like, I would have thought that there would be way way more chain smokers like me in law school, but it seems like people are ashamed to be seen smoking, unless its at a bar on weekends or something. Thats totally different than in college.

Like, in college, there were alot more girls like me who smoked all the time. I mean, I knew I chainsmoked more than ususal, maybe cause I have a really addictive personality, but like two packs a day was my usual, sometimes upto three packs a day on weekends. I know that seems like a lot to some folks, but when Im only actually in class like three hours a day, it was pretty easy to fall into the habit. Even back in high school Id smoke a nearly a pack a day, frantically studying both before and after school.

Law school has only made it worse for me. Like way worse. Like, Im studying all the time now and Im trying really hard to not smoke three packs every day. I study at my apartment all afternoon and evening, and pretty much just chain-smoke one cigarette after the other, trying to keep up with the reading! its awful I know, but its how I deal with stress!

So, just wondering, why arent there more smokers in law school??

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:17 am

smoking three packs a day requires work.

how the fuck do you find the time?

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:20 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:25 am

E-cig...best of both worlds.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:27 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:13 am

lbeezy wrote:I quit smoking during 1L.

Still haven't had a cigarette. I forget I even smoked and I smoked for like eight years.

Quitting sucks in the beginning but it really does it get a lot easier. It's not like you're an alcoholic, so you're always craving that next drink you can't have.

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:33 am

I had quit 6 years before 1L. During 1L first semester, I started smoking fairly regularly again (only at school in between study sessions though, not at a bar or home). 2nd semester, I cut down and only bummed cigarettes when "necessary". I think it really calmed my nerves 1st semester and wouldn't have changed it. Do what you need to do. Good luck!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
Clearly wrote:E-cig...best of both worlds.

Never tried. Too afraid of looking like a douchebag. There's something about my regular cig that I think an e-cig can't replace either.

You'd rather inhale cyanide than think you'll look like a douche? The second issue you have to pay around with till you find something that's perfect for you, but once you do, you'll never even want a cig again

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Clearly wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
Clearly wrote:E-cig...best of both worlds.

Never tried. Too afraid of looking like a douchebag. There's something about my regular cig that I think an e-cig can't replace either.

You'd rather inhale cyanide than think you'll look like a douche? The second issue you have to pay around with till you find something that's perfect for you, but once you do, you'll never even want a cig again

The stronger vape pens have helped me cut my smoking in half. They really do work. You won't smell, you can smoke it almost anywhere, and there is no second hand smoke pollution. Uptight people will still stigmatize you and think you're a horrible person, though.

FWIW, my school told me when I was a 1L not to quit smoking, at least for 1L year. It is best to not have anything disrupt you during such a crucial year. I'm not saying to pick up smoking again since you quit, but explore some different alternatives. An e-cig is very helpful. And no, you won't look like a douche. Maybe to those who are uneducated and self-righteous. But their opinions shouldn't matter anyway.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”