0L Disclaimer: Anyone enjoy their summer prep? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JCougar

Gold

0L Disclaimer: Anyone enjoy their summer prep?

Post by JCougar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Alright, I'm a dork...please don't hate.

I've halfway done with GTM and Delaney's, and I've speed read Law School Confidential and PLS in the library. Anyways, I'm really enjoying Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning, and GTM makes law exams seem pretty exciting actually. I'm reading through the opinions on there and picking out the key issues seems to come naturally for me. I really think I will enjoy reading cases and putting them together to understand the law. I can also see how initially, briefing a few cases would be helpful, but down the road, it could be a waste of time. Yes, I know I am a loser. :wink:

My question is, are these cases representative of the ones you read once you get going in class? Or are these easy cases Delaney picked out just for beginners? All the horror stories about how hard law school is suddenly have less weight right now, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I've even read the first three chapters of Glannon's Civ Pro E&E, and it seems like fairly easy stuff to grasp.

prezidentv8

Gold

Re: 0L Disclaimer: Anyone enjoy their summer prep?

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:31 pm

JCougar wrote:Alright, I'm a dork...please don't hate.

I've halfway done with GTM and Delaney's, and I've speed read Law School Confidential and PLS in the library. Anyways, I'm really enjoying Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning, and GTM makes law exams seem pretty exciting actually. I'm reading through the opinions on there and picking out the key issues seems to come naturally for me. I really think I will enjoy reading cases and putting them together to understand the law. I can also see how initially, briefing a few cases would be helpful, but down the road, it could be a waste of time. Yes, I know I am a loser. :wink:

My question is, are these cases representative of the ones you read once you get going in class? Or are these easy cases Delaney picked out just for beginners? All the horror stories about how hard law school is suddenly have less weight right now, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I've even read the first three chapters of Glannon's Civ Pro E&E, and it seems like fairly easy stuff to grasp.
Just to toss this out there at you, in my opinion law school is not difficult in terms of understanding things, but the volume of material, teaching style, and curved grading creates some stress.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Last edited by 270910 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:32 pm

I hope that's not me.

Cause now I feel lame.

Dangit.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:33 pm

disco_barred wrote:Image
I'm at once thrilled by the existence of this award and thrilled that I've never received it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:41 pm

stop being so damn good at tls disco

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:41 pm

I hate when 0L's are all, "Lulzage, I'm such a dork, I find this law school stuff FASCINATING. Geez, I must be so dorky cuz I actually like this stuff."

1. This is not what law school is like
2. This is not what being a lawyer is like
3. I love law school and do think it's fascinating, but the reason you feel like you love this stuff now is because you are all pumped up about law school. Wait until like 2 weeks into 2nd semester and revisit this post.

Veritaffle

New

Post by Veritaffle » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:46 pm

j00 r 4 dickmachine

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:50 pm

A'nold wrote:I hate when 0L's are all, "Lulzage, I'm such a dork, I find this law school stuff FASCINATING. Geez, I must be so dorky cuz I actually like this stuff."

3. I love law school and do think it's fascinating, but the reason you feel like you love this stuff now is because you are all pumped up about law school. Wait until like 2 weeks into 2nd semester and revisit this post.
lol..so true. 0Ls, with their skulls full of mush, think that their fascination is caused by the material (which they can't even comprehend); when it's more likely caused by the adrenaline rush stoked by the thought of stepping into a new phase of their lives that will begin in just two short months.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RW65

Bronze

Post by RW65 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:51 pm

You should save this post and read it in November when your final memo is due, you're outlining, and you still have to read/prep for class.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:53 pm

ha, it's pretty cool to see a future classmate as excited as you are. is this all you're doing this summer or are you balancing time doing summer prep with job?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:56 pm

A'nold wrote:I hate when 0L's are all, "Lulzage, I'm such a dork, I find this law school stuff FASCINATING. Geez, I must be so dorky cuz I actually like this stuff."

With the way people talk about law school on here, you'd think it would be as bad as walking over hot coals. I'm sure it gets harder when you have to juggle 3 classes at a time plus LRW. I just expected the material to be mind-numbingly boring, and I'm at least pleasantly surprised for now.

Maybe I will take a lulz at this in three months though.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:57 pm

najumobi wrote:

ha, it's pretty cool to see a future classmate as excited as you are. is this all you're doing this summer or are you balancing time doing summer prep with job?
I already quit my job...heading out to Texas and California in two weeks for a road trip that should last me until August. I gotta have some fun before the stress starts to build up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:03 am

disco_barred wrote:
What...can't I at least delude myself a little bit to make the summer go faster? :)

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:03 am

I found GTM more informative after reading a few EEs. I've read the EE on Civ Pro, Property, Crim Law, Torts, and Contracts.

Also, I'm fascinated by the fact that I now know that going to the barbershop for a haircut can be viewed as a contract.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:16 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:Also, I'm fascinated by the fact that I now know that going to the barbershop for a haircut can be viewed as a contract.
I think we all are. It's just so...fascinating that you know that.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:18 am

bigben wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:Also, I'm fascinated by the fact that I now know that going to the barbershop for a haircut can be viewed as a contract.
I think we all are. It's just so...fascinating that you know that.

Tell me about it! I went from a mental state of not knowing to knowing. So awesome!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:19 am

*uses this post as toilet paper*

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:29 am

Maybe you should view 0L prep as popping your cherry slowly, so that when law school fucks you, it won't hurt as bad.

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:31 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:

I found GTM more informative after reading a few EEs. I've read the EE on Civ Pro, Property, Crim Law, Torts, and Contracts.

Also, I'm fascinated by the fact that I now know that going to the barbershop for a haircut can be viewed as a contract.
you're doing it wrong

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:32 am

Looks like I poked too hard at the hornets' nest this evening. :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PSLaplace

New

Post by PSLaplace » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:35 am

0Ls: You think you understand GTM. You think you understand the Civil Procedure E&E. Newsflash: You don't. Don't believe me?
Try taking a real exam: http://www.wcl.american.edu/exams/exam_ ... ourse_id=8

Go ahead. Utilize your profound knowledge of Civil Procedure acquired from your diligent reading of the E&E. And apply those insightful techniques given to you by GTM and Delaney to tackle those problems!

...Or realize you don't know jack. And next, realize that particular exam covers only half the material taught in most Civil Procedure classes.

Now please, stop telling us how much you enjoy "learning" the law.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:50 am

PSLaplace wrote:0Ls: You think you understand GTM. You think you understand the Civil Procedure E&E.

Now please, stop telling us how much you enjoy "learning" the law.
No one's saying that. My point was simply that so far, I was enjoying things, and reading cases so far is a lot more rewarding than I had envisioned. It's a lot better and easier than reading scores of academic journal articles on multivariate statistics and/or psychometrics, which made me want to pull my hair out. Not that that wasn't interesting, but it seems like legal writing is a lot more succinct and to the point in comparison to academic journals.

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:54 am

PSLaplace wrote: Try taking a real exam: http://www.wcl.american.edu/exams/exam_ ... ourse_id=8

Go ahead. Utilize your profound knowledge of Civil Procedure acquired from your diligent reading of the E&E. And apply those insightful techniques given to you by GTM and Delaney to tackle those problems!
T,F,F,F,T,F,T,T,F,T,

Done!

PSLaplace

New

Post by PSLaplace » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:54 am

JCougar wrote:...it seems like legal writing is a lot more succinct and to the point in comparison to academic journals.
I lol'd.

Here, another gem from Civil Procedure that you're guaranteed to come across (Pennoyer v. Neff): http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... i=scholarr

"Succinct" is hardly the word I'd choose.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”