Babies. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Rock Chalk

Silver

Re: Babies.

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:10 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:My sisters both had children in their thirties. One sister is 38 and has children that are 8 and 5, and the other will be 41 in August, and her son is 4 and daughter will be 2 next month. My mom had my sisters when she was in her early 20's, and me when she was 37. To the person who said that birth defects go up, that may be a theory, but all 4 nieces and nephews are quite smart. The 4 year old reads at a 3rd grade level...we're convinced he's going to cure cancer or something, the kid's a genius. It's sort of creepy how smart he is, actually.

I've had to actively try NOT to get pregnant...apparently we are a fertile bunch hahaha.

Oh, and on the job or kids note, my hubby to be is in outside sales, so he works from home most days anyway. He hopes to be the stay at home dad some days, and we'd have a nanny when he must be out on client calls.
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

As for the bolded: Do your research. I'm not spouting off my personal theory, I'm telling you the consensus of the medical community based on extensive data collection. See the link above, and an intro level child psychology/development class.

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:37 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
He hopes to be the stay at home dad some days, and we'd have a nanny when he must be out on client calls.
Sounds like it's all set then, yeah? "Let the wild rumpus begin!"

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:My sisters both had children in their thirties. One sister is 38 and has children that are 8 and 5, and the other will be 41 in August, and her son is 4 and daughter will be 2 next month. My mom had my sisters when she was in her early 20's, and me when she was 37. To the person who said that birth defects go up, that may be a theory, but all 4 nieces and nephews are quite smart. The 4 year old reads at a 3rd grade level...we're convinced he's going to cure cancer or something, the kid's a genius. It's sort of creepy how smart he is, actually.

I've had to actively try NOT to get pregnant...apparently we are a fertile bunch hahaha.

Oh, and on the job or kids note, my hubby to be is in outside sales, so he works from home most days anyway. He hopes to be the stay at home dad some days, and we'd have a nanny when he must be out on client calls.
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

As for the bolded: Do your research. I'm not spouting off my personal theory, I'm telling you the consensus of the medical community based on extensive data collection. See the link above, and an intro level child psychology/development class.

Pretty sure rock is right. That is precisely why they test eggs for down syndrome after a woman turns 34/35.

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Okay this had to be said.. 30-35 is not old to have children. Many of the professional women/big celebrities have children in the 30s and they are just fine! Heck half the women in my family had their first child in their 30s! It is called getting your career together! While you may not be as young as the other mothers out there, the women who had children in their mid 20s will not get to claim the success you had career wise at such an early age. You guys are just swapping life's perks! Just because you are bearing children at a different age does not mean you are losing out!

kineticx

New

Post by kineticx » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:18 pm

I worked for a lawyer who had two young children and ran her own small practice, and did well (100k+ salary). She had an office in her home for when she didn't need to meet with clients, and another office elsewhere. She waited until her practice was on its feet before having her second child, and was in her early 30s. This seems like an ideal arrangement.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:Okay this had to be said.. 30-35 is not old to have children. Many of the professional women/big celebrities have children in the 30s and they are just fine! Heck half the women in my family had their first child in their 30s! It is called getting your career together! While you may not be as young as the other mothers out there, the women who had children in their mid 20s will not get to claim the success you had career wise at such an early age. You guys are just swapping life's perks! Just because you are bearing children at a different age does not mean you are losing out!
This.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:Many of the professional women/big celebrities have children in the 30s and they are just fine!
i love when people use celebrities as a viable reference group

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:41 pm

jayn3 wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:Many of the professional women/big celebrities have children in the 30s and they are just fine!
Not the best argument, but the argument that having children after 30 is usually fine is valid. 35 is generally viewed as the "cutoff" for decreased fertility, so assuming there aren't underlying problems that would have made having children before 30 difficult, waiting until 30-35 really isn't a big deal.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 pm

danidancer wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
Not the best argument, but the argument that having children after 30 is usually fine is valid. 35 is generally viewed as the "cutoff" for decreased fertility, so assuming there aren't underlying problems that would have made having children before 30 difficult, waiting until 30-35 really isn't a big deal.
no argument, just mocking celebrity gossipers.

anyone else strongly considering adoption?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Once you are over the age of 35 if you get pregnant you are officially considered to be "advanced maternal age" and the risks go way up. Your body was designed to begin making babies soon after menstruation begins - not 20 years later. That may not fit with our society today, but that is the biology of it. Many people do have babies in their 30's and 40's and their babies are just fine, but the risks do go way up after you hit that magic number - 35. This does not mean 35 is too old. It just means the risks go up. Infertility is much more likely after 35 and the risk of Down Syndrome goes up as well. From March of Dimes:

A woman’s risk of having a baby with Down syndrome is (1):

At age 25, 1 in 1,250
At age 30, 1 in 1,000
At age 35, 1 in 400
At age 40, 1 in 100
At 45, 1 in 30
At 49, a 1 in 10

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professiona ... 2_1155.asp

Here is a chart from the AAFP:
--ImageRemoved--

Anyways, I have not yet started law school but I do have kids and I can say there probably is no "best time" to have kids when you want to have a career. I personally am very glad that I will not have to deal with pregnancy and having a newborn during my legal career because during my pregnancies and for a good 6 months afterwards I was just not myself. My brain didn't seem to work properly and I had trouble focusing on my relatively simple job. I was glad I didn't have any major responsibilities at work. And I won't even get into how difficult it can be to be a nursing/working mother.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:50 pm

I think about this issue a lot and my husband and I are planning to get pregnant during my 3L and then 2 years into my career. I want to make sure that my body is at its prime for childbearing.

My advice to OP: marry rich :), get a favorable prenup and live near family...I think it's the best way to manage / get trusted babysitters and be able to afford and raise a child right without the added stress of desperately needing a paycheck.

If you don't agree, I don't care...this is the way I feel.

bubiglaw

New

Post by bubiglaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:53 pm

I know so many girls at my law schools that say that the "clock is ticking" and when they are finally at a place to settle down a little bit (i.e. make partner) that they will no longer be able to have kids. ( a little dramatic). Oh the thrills of being a guy and not having to worry about that (not trying to be an ass)

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:03 pm

danidancer wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
I think the argument is just fine (and it really was more of an opinion/statement)... I used professional women (lawyers, doctors, teachers, etc.) as my main focus. I included celebrities because while many ppl look down on them they still had to go through many years to build a career (im talking about the credited ones, not the megan foxes of the group). So you see, I was just trying to cover my bases. 35 may be the cutoff, but in this day and age, with medicine, technology, and better health, fewer and fewer women have cause to feel desperate by this age.

And, instead of just reading the first line and making a judgment read the rest smartass... How annoying. Focus on the topic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote: And, instead of just reading the first line and making a judgment read the rest smartass... How annoying. Focus on the topic.
oh i did read the rest. if i had disagreed i would've mocked that too :D

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:23 pm

jayn3 wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote: And, instead of just reading the first line and making a judgment read the rest smartass... How annoying. Focus on the topic.
oh i did read the rest. if i had disagreed i would've mocked that too :D
Lol smh *hides in the bushes preparing to shoot jayn3*

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:25 pm

Wow that chart just scared the shit out of me.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:26 pm

hellokitty wrote:Wow that chart just scared the shit out of me.
It should only scare you if you are planning to have kids past age 40, lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:28 pm

I plan to deliver my babies in my office to show my commitment to the firm.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 pm

agreed. 1/1,250 at age 25?? why don't i see more people with down's than i do??

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 pm

jayn3 wrote:
Yeah all of those numbers alarm me actually.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 pm

jayn3 wrote:
smashmortions.

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:35 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:I plan to deliver my babies in my office to show my commitment to the firm.
+1 Problem solved!!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:38 pm

booyakasha wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
smashmortions.
true enough. by the time i have kids anyway i expect to be able to choose their sex, height, eye/hair color, and size of genitalia.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:44 pm

jayn3 wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
smashmortions.
true enough. by the time i have kids anyway i expect to be able to choose their sex, height, eye/hair color, and size of genitalia.
I hope not. I feel like that's the sort of thing that could eventually spiral and we'll end up with millions of white, blonde, blue-eyed kids or something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”