How do you find time for gym? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Diamond

Re: How do you find time for gym?

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Lawof_theLand wrote:I bought one of these minicycles in January and it's been great.
--ImageRemoved--

I keep it under my desk and use it the entire time I'm reading. With some practice, even typing while pedaling can become pretty natural. It's not much of a workout, low resistance, but it keeps things circulating and keeps you from being sedentary, which is the real killer. I also get distracted easily, and I've found I can concentrate for much longer periods with this thing.

:shock:

Just go work out in an actual gym for an hour a day. You're getting nothing out of this.

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:

Just go work out in an actual gym for an hour a day. You're getting nothing out of this.
I work out as well, and swim laps 4 times a week. Not suggesting replacing gym time, but being sedentary for long periods screws you up even with execise.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34956099
Even for people who exercise, spending long stretches of time sitting at a desk is still harmful. Tim Armstrong, a physical activity expert at the World Health Organization, said people who exercise every day — but still spend a lot of time sitting — might get more benefit if that exercise were spread across the day, rather than in a single bout.
I just mentioned this because it helps me concentrate while studying AND keeps me from being sedentary for long stretches.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Neglect School
But no, seriously thats what I do. Gotta go at least 90min in the gym (usually 120ish)

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:27 pm

It was either Learned Hand or The Situation who once said "If you're not in the gym for at least an hour a day, we're gonna have a problem, because I'm in there for like an hour... AND A HALF!"

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
GermX wrote:Work out late at night. Lots of gyms (like LA fitness for example) stay open late. So what you can do is, just study and shit all day then at around 10:30 pm go to the gym, work out for 1 hour or so, and then go home and eat/sleep.
Working out this late is bad for your sleep. Eating this late is bad for you too. HTH.
Agreed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Lawof_theLand wrote:I bought one of these minicycles in January and it's been great.
--ImageRemoved--

I keep it under my desk and use it the entire time I'm reading. With some practice, even typing while pedaling can become pretty natural. It's not much of a workout, low resistance, but it keeps things circulating and keeps you from being sedentary, which is the real killer. I also get distracted easily, and I've found I can concentrate for much longer periods with this thing.
this is the saddest thing I have ever seen.

Tave

New

Post by Tave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:06 am

Lawof_theLand wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

I work out as well, and swim laps 4 times a week. Not suggesting replacing gym time, but being sedentary for long periods screws you up even with execise.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34956099
Even for people who exercise, spending long stretches of time sitting at a desk is still harmful. Tim Armstrong, a physical activity expert at the World Health Organization, said people who exercise every day — but still spend a lot of time sitting — might get more benefit if that exercise were spread across the day, rather than in a single bout.
I just mentioned this because it helps me concentrate while studying AND keeps me from being sedentary for long stretches.
Couldn't you just stand up every once in a while and walk around?

If you're in the library, take a break and go get a drink at the fountain, or walk to the window and check out the birds?

If you're at home, get up and do some laundry, do some dishes, or straighten up around the house?

ohnowtf

New

Post by ohnowtf » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:20 am

Most of the major gyms are open until midnight. there are small places like "anytime fitness" that are open 24/7. I am not a morning person, so I usually go after class. Sometimes that means 8p.m. I don't get the big deal. 3 days a week working out is sufficient, and anybody can make time for that.

Lolschool

New

Post by Lolschool » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 am

--ImageRemoved--

I hope this isn't true. Do some pushups, lunges or go for a jog, but there is no way that this will change your life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 am

Don't think he said it did, or that it's designed for that. It's a cool idea honestly as a way to supplement working out and staying focused at your desk for awhile longer.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Wrong approach, bro.

The gym is mandatory. Find time to study.
TITMFCR

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 am

50+ hours of work a week, 11 hours of classes (including 6 hours of 1L classes), and I still managed to lift 3 times a week and run 3 times a week this semester. I really don't want to hear full-time students wondering how they can fit in 4-5 hours of exercise a week. :evil:

I also don't think studying every waking hour is the safest bet for law school performance (assuming that is your one and only goal). I don't buy that 16 hours a day 7 days a week will allow you to attack the material in the best way possible. 1L really is about learning how to study better, not more. Yes, you always feel like there is more you could be doing, but how much are you really learning during that 10th straight hour of studying? Taking a break to get away from the books and clear your mind can make the time spent studying much more effective. Law school has taught me a lot about my capabilities, and I know that I am not at 100% 16 hours a day. Do you need to utilize working out to break up your study sessions? No, but something besides "moar studying" should be done.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:29 am

Get used to getting up by 7???

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:It was either Learned Hand or The Situation who once said "If you're not in the gym for at least an hour a day, we're gonna have a problem, because I'm in there for like an hour... AND A HALF!"
..."Workin' on my fitness."

My concern is not getting gym time because I will make time for that. I'm more concerned with keeping my eating habits at 6-8 meals per day.

SBL, JamesBond, etc. are y'all able to still eat good meals every 3-4 hours?

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:20 am

deadpanic wrote:SBL, JamesBond, etc. are y'all able to still eat good meals every 3-4 hours?
Protein shakes for convenience

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:56 am

goodolgil wrote:A good rule of thumb is, if people like Rahm Emmanuel aren't too busy to work out every day then neither are you.
Seriously. One of the best profiles I've read in some time, about David Petraeus, talks about how he somehow finds the time to run five miles in the morning before running two wars. Both George W. Bush and Barack Obama made/make physical fitness a cornerstone of their daily routines. Having a constructive, healthy outlet not only gives you natural energy that you won't find in a cup of coffee but it also gives you the peace of mind to organize your day and focus on the work ahead.

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:57 am

deadpanic wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:It was either Learned Hand or The Situation who once said "If you're not in the gym for at least an hour a day, we're gonna have a problem, because I'm in there for like an hour... AND A HALF!"

My concern is not getting gym time because I will make time for that. I'm more concerned with keeping my eating habits at 6-8 meals per day.

Definitely. I always eat a healthy breakfast in the morning, workout, and then eat the post-workout snack I brought with me. Additionally, I packed a healthy lunch everyday. Not only did this insure that I would eat healthy, it also saved me a lot of money. Then when I came home I would cook a nice healthy dinner, and eat a snack shortly after.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 am

deadpanic wrote:

Sometimes, but honestly not always. Generally during the year I work out from 8-9 before class, have a shake, eat at 12, and then usually nothing until dinner at 5-6.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:13 am

Totally agree that maintaining exercise routine is a must.

Question for you rising 2Ls ... There's a marathon I want to run 2 days before my first exam, at least according to sked they've already posted. I'm not worried about any time conflicts between August-late November. But race day is about 4-5 hours total time commitment -- not counting naps and repeated expressions of "Fuck if I ever do that again."

Is this as terrible idea as I fear it is? Will I have 4-5 hours to spare 2 days before my first exam?

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:00 am

Would like to add 40lbs on my benchpress as 1L.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:03 am

At this point, OP's question has been answered and discussion about adding to your bench, nutrition, supps, workout plans, etc. belongs (and is in fact encouraged to take place) here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 10&t=50308

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”