How do you find time for gym?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
corporatelaw87

How do you find time for gym?

Postby corporatelaw87 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:05 pm

S I don't have my exact schedule yet because I don't know my section, but the school posted class schedules. First lass for 1L's start at 10:10, last class on some days end at 6. Just curious when you guys go to the gym. In between class would be tough usually because wouldn't you have to go home and shower, then come back? That's provided you live off campus.

AsylumPB

Re: How do you find time for gym?

Postby AsylumPB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:10 pm

early morning....i wake up at five if i am going to work out

Welp2277

Postby Welp2277 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:12 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:S I don't have my exact schedule yet because I don't know my section, but the school posted class schedules. First lass for 1L's start at 10:10, last class on some days end at 6. Just curious when you guys go to the gym. In between class would be tough usually because wouldn't you have to go home and shower, then come back? That's provided you live off campus.

First class is at 10:10? You can't get up early and go to the gym? Further, why would you need to go to home and shower? Most universities and law schools have free recreation centers for you to use that are fully equipped with showers. The bottom line is if you want to find the time to work out you will. I studied an immense amount of time, never missed a class, and still managed to work out six days a week. You're obviously not going to have the time to get in some monstrous three hour lift fest or run fifteen miles in the morning, but if you are just looking to get an hour workout in then you should have no problem. Nothing about the 1L schedule should prevent you from hitting the gym.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:17 pm

I just purchased P90X based on my friend looking effing amazing after sticking to it for 3 months...plan on working out every morning for an hour at home, then getting ready for class. Once I start classes, I should have access to the university gym, so I may try to hit up cardio before heading home as well, but the morning workout should probably do the job.

blerg

Postby blerg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:22 pm

0L, but I walk my dog for an hour every morning from 6:30-7:30.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:23 pm

blerg wrote:0L, but I walk my dog for an hour every morning from 6:30-7:30.

Oh yeah, good point, and I'm going to walk my pups in the evening. :mrgreen: They would be sad if I forgot to do that!

blerg

Postby blerg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:24 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:

Oh yeah, good point, and I'm going to walk my pups in the evening. :mrgreen: They would be sad if I forgot to do that!

I think it's exercise? Even though I own a dachshund who almost never runs.

slider

Postby slider » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:25 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:I just purchased P90X based on my friend looking effing amazing after sticking to it for 3 months...plan on working out every morning for an hour at home, then getting ready for class. Once I start classes, I should have access to the university gym, so I may try to hit up cardio before heading home as well, but the morning workout should probably do the job.

P90X is actually a pretty good idea. its probably going to be very hard for me to stick to a regular work out routine for the first couple of months during 1L. That way you don't have to worry about gym hours or having to run out of your way to shower.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Our 1L fall was specifically scheduled to give us a midday break from 11-2. Plenty of time to go to the gym and shower if you really want to. Or, you can go after classes end.

Also, keep in mind that you will not be attending every class every day. If you have two classes one day and they're your morning classes, you're free that afternoon. If you have an early morning and a late afternoon class, you've got a huge window between them to go. It varies from day to day based on your schedule, but some days you'll have LOTS of free time between classes.

Just figure it out once you have your schedule. If you really want to work out, you'll find time for it.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Wrong approach, bro.

The gym is mandatory. Find time to study.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:27 pm

blerg wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

I think it's exercise? Even though I own a dachshund who almost never runs.

Hahaha I have 2 Yorkies...we can agree to call their walks exercise. :wink:

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Didn't. Gave it up. No free time. Result? Got fat (well, for an ecto). Burned almost all of it off in the last month since summer started, though. 1L entails sacrifice, dooder (assuming you want to be the best).

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:33 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Wrong approach, bro.

The gym is mandatory. Find time to study.

Ya this isn't even a joke either. I schedule my life around gym time. Studying, girlfriend, friends, hobbies, etc. Gym time determines this.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:34 pm

solidsnake wrote:Didn't. Gave it up. No free time. Result? Got fat (well, for an ecto). Burned almost all of it off in the last month since summer started, though. 1L entails sacrifice, dooder (assuming you want to be the best).

TINTCR at all.

It's entirely possible to maintain hobbies, relationships, your health and your sanity while doing well in law school. IMHO if you're working more than 10-15 hours a week outside of class, you could probably be more efficient.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:35 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:It's entirely possible to maintain hobbies, relationships, your health and your sanity while doing well in law school. IMHO if you're working more than 10-15 hours a week outside of class, you could probably be more efficient.

I think I would've felt physically and mentally better during 1L if I'd managed to maintain my gym routine more. The periods where I was going regularly went a lot better than when I wasn't. Getting away from the routine was one of the worst mistakes I made as a 1L.

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Work out late at night. Lots of gyms (like LA fitness for example) stay open late. So what you can do is, just study and shit all day then at around 10:30 pm go to the gym, work out for 1 hour or so, and then go home and eat/sleep.

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:I just purchased P90X based on my friend looking effing amazing after sticking to it for 3 months...plan on working out every morning for an hour at home, then getting ready for class. Once I start classes, I should have access to the university gym, so I may try to hit up cardio before heading home as well, but the morning workout should probably do the job.

You might want to start P90X before you classes start, though. I just started (about two weeks in) and the workouts are pretty intense. I'm pretty wasted by the end (and I thought I was in pretty decent shape before I started).

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
solidsnake wrote:Didn't. Gave it up. No free time. Result? Got fat (well, for an ecto). Burned almost all of it off in the last month since summer started, though. 1L entails sacrifice, dooder (assuming you want to be the best).

TINTCR at all.

It's entirely possible to maintain hobbies, relationships, your health and your sanity while doing well in law school. IMHO if you're working more than 10-15 hours a week outside of class, you could probably be more efficient.

I said the best. For those content with mediocrity, there's plenty of free time during 1L. And if "doing well" is some point along the spectrum between the best and mediocre, then your amount of free time will respond accordingly. Learn to read.

Some people may be the best and yet still find time for the gym; but I didn't want to take that risk.
Last edited by solidsnake on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:45 pm

solidsnake wrote:For those content with mediocrity, there's plenty of free time during 1L.

MEME GENERATOR, WHY CAN I NOT ACCESS YOU IN MY TIME OF NEED!

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 pm

solidsnake wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

TINTCR at all.

I said the best. For those content with mediocrity, there's plenty of free time during 1L.

The people who are really the best are the ones who are able to get good grades without sacrificing their social lives, health and hobbies, hth.

lsat_fear

Postby lsat_fear » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 pm

by studying less. . .

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 pm

solidsnake wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

TINTCR at all.

I said the best. For those content with mediocrity, there's plenty of free time during 1L.

Please. If you really were the best you'd be able to work out and place in the top 10%

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:47 pm

(I assume) If you can find the time to go with a full time job then you can find the time while in law school.
Last edited by goodolgil on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:48 pm

I plan to probably hit the gym most late afternoons/evenings before I leave campus. I can either shower at the gym or just go home grubby. I'm not a stay-in-the-library-all-night person, so I expect to study at school between/after classes, get a quick workout in, go home and cook myself a delicious dinner and relax a bit, then hit the books again at home if I need more time.

I'm a girl who just exercises because it's good for my body and brain and it keeps me energized; I'm not a gym-lover or marathon weight lifter or anything like that. When I say go the gym, I mean I'll get 30 minutes of cardio or so most days. I will also do some yoga/mat pilates/resistance band training at home in the mornings before school unless I have an insanely early class.

I think everyone just needs to get a routine in place and stick to it. Both with studying and working out ...

Postby 12262010 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:48 pm

solidsnake wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

TINTCR at all.

I said the best. For those content with mediocrity, there's plenty of free time during 1L. And if "doing well" is some point along the spectrum between the best and mediocre, then your amount of free time will respond accordingly. Learn to read.

Some people may be the best and yet still find time for the gym; but I didn't want to take that risk.

fatties != teh best.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”