Help me sleep at night...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
utswdukie80

Help me sleep at night...

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:52 pm

So I've decided that when I move to my new city for law school I'm going to spare no expense in the purchase of my new mattress. Unfortunately, I've never shopped for a mattress and have no idea what I'm doing. I came to seek the advice of TLS, and ask what brands, models, etc. you guys and gals prefer. Is there one you absolutely love? Hate? I know it's a very personal thing, but I figured some of you may have some advice and information from your own experiences you'd like to share. Thanks!

JWicker10

Re: Help me sleep at night...

Postby JWicker10 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Don't get a tempurpedic or a sleep number. I had a tempurpedic and it's not as comfortable as you'd think. My friend had a sleep number, they're cleap.

Just go to a mattress store, decide how firm you want it to be, and then buy the one that you perceive to be the most comfortable in your price range.

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Yeah, I realize eventually I'll have to get my ass to a mattress store. I was hoping for some advice along the lines of "don't buy a tempurpedic..." or something like that. Thanks!

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:06 pm

I bought a new mattress a couple months ago. Remember that if you go to a mattress store, prices are negotiable.

I would go find a mattress you like, go home and look it up online, then go back and buy it. Find out what it really costs. Beware of reviews though, people only seem to write them when they're pissed. And heavy people can be tough on beds, so not all reviews are going to applicable.

When you say "spare no expense", are you looking for a $3000 mattress? Personally, I think you can get an awesome bed for $1000-$1500. But to each his own.

good luck!

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:09 pm

I probably should have been more clear about "spare no expense." For me, that means anything up to $2000. Thanks for the negotiable tip. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:12 pm

People don't realize that you can haggle/ bargain and get the price of a mattress reduced. I got am AWESOME bed from Sleepy’s, and got them to knock 250 dollars off the price of the mattress, and it was already on sale because it was Memorial Day Weekend.

If they don't want to work with you, try another store. Don't under-estimate your power as a consumer in a sucky economy.

Also, if money is an issue, places like Sleepy’s allow you to open a line of credit and it’s usually interest/fee free for a year.

A) haggle
B) go during a sale
C) open line of credit if money is an issue

Always do your homework before.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:16 pm

HazelEyes wrote:People don't realize that you can haggle/ bargain and get the price of a mattress reduced. I got am AWESOME bed from Sleepy’s, and got them to knock 250 dollars off the price of the mattress, and it was already on sale because it was Memorial Day Weekend.

If they don't want to work with you, try another store. Don't under-estimate your power as a consumer in a sucky economy.

Also, if money is an issue, places like Sleepy’s allow you to open a line of credit and it’s usually interest/fee free for a year.

A) haggle
B) go during a sale

This. Always Be Haggling.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Sleep in a sleeping bag underneath your study carrel in the library.

NCtoVAtoNC

Postby NCtoVAtoNC » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:25 pm

You can make a decent mattress even better by getting one of those memory foam mattress toppers.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Be wary - memory foam/tempurpedic/other related products retain heat a lot more. If you're like me and need to be cool while sleeping, these will SUCK.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:30 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:Be wary - memory foam/tempurpedic/other related products retain heat a lot more. If you're like me and need to be cool while sleeping, these will SUCK.

You might be interested in the chillow as well, an insert that keeps your pillow cooler then Miles Davis.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:31 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:Be wary - memory foam/tempurpedic/other related products retain heat a lot more. If you're like me and need to be cool while sleeping, these will SUCK.

You might be interested in the chillow as well, an insert that keeps your pillow cooler then Miles Davis.

Wait, who's it in the what now?

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:33 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:

Wait, who's it in the what now?

Google "chillow". It's kind of a hokey "As Seen on TV!" product, but it works wonders.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Yup, same goes for some pillow-top mattresses.

Same issue.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:13 pm

We have Back to Bed up here in Chicagoland as a mattress store chain...don't know where you're going in the fall, but if you come up here, they tend to have awesome sales pretty frequently.

That said, I totally broke the bank on my mattress, as I have back and neck issues, and if I don't sleep in good alignment, I will be in pain and bitching for weeks. I spent about $900 on my mattress that used to be around $1300 or $1400, during a massive sale at Back to Bed. It's a Simmons Beautyrest Platinum or something like that, with an extra plush pillow top. It's like sleeping on a cloud. When my fiance moved in, he almost cried he was so happy as he has back issues as well, and had been sleeping on what could probably be better marketed as a cardboard spring box than a mattress. Needless to say, his bed went in the garbage hahahaha.

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:35 pm

So I've read. I gotta be cool when I sleep, so what do you advise?

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:37 pm

*BEGIN WARNING*

IF YOUR MATTRESS IS TOO COMFORTABLE YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE GETTING OUT OF IT IN THE MORNING. CLASSES WILL BE SKIPPED.

*END WARNING*

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I own a tempurpedic and absolutely love it. Tempurpedics are warmer, so adjust your room temperature accordingly and you'll be very comfortable.

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 pm

solidsnake wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:People don't realize that you can haggle/ bargain and get the price of a mattress reduced. I got am AWESOME bed from Sleepy’s, and got them to knock 250 dollars off the price of the mattress, and it was already on sale because it was Memorial Day Weekend.

A) haggle
B) go during a sale

When I bought mine, I went to about five different stores, figured out what I wanted, and compared prices. I then used the prices at the other stores to leverage the best deal at the store where eventually bought the bed for several hundred under retail.

JWicker10

Postby JWicker10 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:48 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:I own a tempurpedic and absolutely love it. Tempurpedics are warmer, so adjust your room temperature accordingly and you'll be very comfortable.

I had one and hated it.

They're super hot, over priced and way too firm.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:57 pm

solidsnake wrote:

A) haggle
B) go during a sale

Just keep in mind, if a place haggles with you, this does not mean you got a good deal. This means they intended to shamelessly rob you so they marked up the price in the hopes that 2 in 5 will think the sticker price is the bottom line. They want you to think they are "doing you a favor" it's the same BS you get at a car dealership "Ah geez, this is as low as I can go, but I'll go ask my manager if I can go lower..."

If you find yourself in this situation, leave the store. These people are trying to steal from you.

There are mattress stores that START at their lowest price. Find them. In the Houston area (and I don't know where else their market extends to) Mattress Firm is this way. They will not haggle with you, because their price sticker is 50% lower than the mattress store next door with the "really cool dude willing to work with you on the price".

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:57 pm

I love my mattress/box spring...I got it at Sam's Club. I have no idea what brand it is...the one with the clay-mated counting sheep in the ad.

I don't think you need to put that much thought into this. Go lay on some in a store. Pick one out.

/thread.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:09 pm

The idea that every negotiation is an attempted robbery is just silly. With a quick google search, you can have all the pricing information you need to properly haggle.

Good Luck! I had a lot of fun looking for a mattress

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:17 pm

I bet you could get this one for cheap:

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I bet you could get this one for cheap:

The end result of eating too much Taco Hell...burned right through the damn thing. Geez.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”