Finding appellate history

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Grad_Student

Finding appellate history

Postby Grad_Student » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks to the one poster who actually helped out

And fuck you to everyone else who didn't.
Last edited by Grad_Student on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ender Wiggins

Re: Finding appellate history

Postby Ender Wiggins » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Grad_Student wrote:I have a case that just came down from the Supreme Court, Carachuri-Rosendo v. Holder, and I want to find out which district court it was appealed from. Any ideas?

I'm guessing you're not in law school yet, or you'd know to look in the procedural history contained within the case itself.

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Ender Wiggins wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:I have a case that just came down from the Supreme Court, Carachuri-Rosendo v. Holder, and I want to find out which district court it was appealed from. Any ideas?

I'm guessing you're not in law school yet, or you'd know to look in the procedural history contained within the case itself.

I appreciate the rib newbie but the farthest it goes back to is the INS. I guess I'll have to look up the trial court on the database at work. Thanks anyways.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Grad_Student wrote:
Ender Wiggins wrote:

I appreciate the rib newbie but the farthest it goes back to is the INS. I guess I'll have to look up the trial court on the database at work. Thanks anyways.

You know the answer to your question, and you're still asking it? From what you said, it was an appeal from an INS administrative decision. Am I missing something?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Grad_Student wrote:
Ender Wiggins wrote:

There was no Art III trial court - it originated with an Immigration Judge -> Board of Immigration Appeals -> 5th COA [courtesy of the Petition for Cert's Statement of the Case courtesy of SCOTUSBlog]

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:15 am

If you have a lexis account, just hit the "shepardize" button.
If you have a westlaw account, hit the "keycite" button.

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Renzo wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
Ender Wiggins wrote:

You know the answer to your question, and you're still asking it? From what you said, it was an appeal from an INS administrative decision. Am I missing something?

I looked so more.
vamedic03 wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
Ender Wiggins wrote:

There was no Art III trial court - it originated with an Immigration Judge -> Board of Immigration Appeals -> 5th COA [courtesy of the Petition for Cert's Statement of the Case courtesy of SCOTUSBlog]

Yes it what I was looking for. thanks

nealric wrote:If you have a lexis account, just hit the "shepardize" button.

not in-depth enough

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:07 pm

not in-depth enough

You should be getting the lower court opinion and any briefs/motions filed in the case. What else are you looking for?

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:38 pm

nealric wrote:

not in-depth enough

You should be getting the lower court opinion and any briefs/motions filed in the case. What else are you looking for?

Key Cite won't show the EOIR decision; you need to take the extra step of clicking on "Direct History" to pull that up.

2007 WL 4624548

edit: Never mind. After looking over the thread, I see that the OP actually found this decision, but does not understand how judicial review of orders of removal works and is therefore confused.

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:47 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
nealric wrote:

not in-depth enough

Key Cite won't show the EOIR decision; you need to take the extra step of clicking on "Direct History" to pull that up.

2007 WL 4624548

edit: Never mind. After looking over the thread, I see that the OP actually found this decision, but does not understand how judicial review of orders of removal works and is therefore confused.

not so much but thanks for trying to help anyways. Plus can't use westlaw at work, only have lexis so you have been no help.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”