The Ten Students You Meet in Law School--0Ls take note! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
taw856

Bronze

Re: The Ten Students You Meet in Law School--0Ls take note!

Post by taw856 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:12 pm

Because I'm bored: Anyone want to match Supreme Court justices with which character they were in law school?

Based on Scalia's tendency to write the two word sentence "I dissent" 18 times in every opinion --you know, just in case you didn't notice -- I'm guessing he's #2. Souter as #4 given his discomfort with D.C.?
Last edited by taw856 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legal_eagle

Bronze

Post by legal_eagle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:19 pm

The list suspiciously left out the infamous gunner. Any ideas as to why one would leave that off of a list of students you meet in law school?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:20 pm

sluguy14 wrote:Clearly this list is bogus. It's completely unreasonable to think that everyone fits squarely into one of these ten stereotypes. Obviously the author is a total loser with too much time on his hands.
Oh HAI #2

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:25 pm

legal_eagle wrote:The list suspiciously left out the infamous gunner. Any ideas as to why one would leave that off of a list of students you meet in law school?
Gunner = #2 (closely enough).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:27 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
legal_eagle wrote:The list suspiciously left out the infamous gunner. Any ideas as to why one would leave that off of a list of students you meet in law school?
Gunner = #2 (closely enough).
Agreed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:30 pm

I hope I don't become el desperato... dang!
(#8 in hilarious)
Last edited by World B. Free on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:30 pm

I'm #5.

Warhawk

New

Post by Warhawk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 pm

Off the top of my head, I can think of people who fit the criteria of 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 9, and even though I can't be sure, I have a couple of hunches as to 4. :roll:

I suppose I would be 4 if I, y'know, was doing a lot better. :roll: :lol: ...... :(

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:34 am

prezidentv8 wrote:WTF? There's none for me.

I'll make one up:

THE DUDE

Likes sports, drinks coffee, shows up in the library when he must, does pretty well, is occasionally coherent in class, and thinks the whole law school system is silly.
Oh be honest. You might be THE DUDE, but it is a variation of the drifter. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:59 am

Bosque wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:WTF? There's none for me.

I'll make one up:

THE DUDE

Likes sports, drinks coffee, shows up in the library when he must, does pretty well, is occasionally coherent in class, and thinks the whole law school system is silly.
Oh be honest. You might be THE DUDE, but it is a variation of the drifter. :P
Hah fair enough.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:44 am

romothesavior wrote:
sluguy14 wrote:Clearly this list is bogus. It's completely unreasonable to think that everyone fits squarely into one of these ten stereotypes. Obviously the author is a total loser with too much time on his hands.
I don't think the author ever said everyone fits into one of these groups. He is just saying these stereotypes are common and you'll likely run into people like this.
:lol:

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:13 am

8. THE DIVERSITY STUDENT

When she’s not busy posing for pictures for the law school’s website and viewbook, she’s enjoying the sweet life of a tuition-free education. How do you spell the name of that Native-American tribe again? Oh yeah, “f-u-l-l r-i-d-e.”

She doesn’t worry so much about preparing for class, taking exams, or career outlooks—and why should she? When her former classmates are sacrificing movie nights just so they can pay back the interest on their student loans, she’ll be relaxing in the comfy leather chair of her 45th-story downtown office. After all, you can only be a diversity student for three years until you’re a diversity hire.

Carrie2010

New

Post by Carrie2010 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:17 am

I understand this is meant to be all in good fun, but am I the only one who finds the implications of #8 offensive? URMs need not be undeserving, unmotivated, and unburdened by financial considerations :roll: . URMs are most likely burdened with having to overcome the stereotypes of laziness, affirmative action babies who get a free ride based on the color of their skin, which tends to work against us most of the time. Understand that I am not hypersensitive, nor do I feel I'm overplaying the race card, but the fact that someone would write this and that so many (presumably) intelligent people would 'LOL' indicates a pervasive and persistent racist and/or intellectually lazy undercurrent. And to the URMs who see nothing wrong with the description, please explain your POV b/c you confuse the hell out of me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:20 am

Carrie2010 wrote:I understand this is meant to be all in good fun, but am I the only one who finds the implications of #8 offensive? URMs need not be undeserving, unmotivated, and unburdened by financial considerations :roll: . URMs are most likely burdened with having to overcome the stereotypes of laziness, affirmative action babies who get a free ride based on the color of their skin, which tends to work against us most of the time. Understand that I am not hypersensitive, nor do I feel I'm overplaying the race card, but the fact that someone would write this and that so many (presumably) intelligent people would 'LOL' indicates a pervasive and persistent racist and/or intellectually lazy undercurrent. And to the URMs who see nothing wrong with the description, please explain your POV b/c you confuse the hell out of me.
I agree with you! Besides, no one has even said that they have seen a version of #8 and I think that's because it's the author's fantasy rather than actually existing.

Warhawk

New

Post by Warhawk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:23 am

Carrie2010 wrote:I understand this is meant to be all in good fun, but am I the only one who finds the implications of #8 offensive? URMs need not be undeserving, unmotivated, and unburdened by financial considerations :roll: . URMs are most likely burdened with having to overcome the stereotypes of laziness, affirmative action babies who get a free ride based on the color of their skin, which tends to work against us most of the time. Understand that I am not hypersensitive, nor do I feel I'm overplaying the race card, but the fact that someone would write this and that so many (presumably) intelligent people would 'LOL' indicates a pervasive and persistent racist and/or intellectually lazy undercurrent. And to the URMs who see nothing wrong with the description, please explain your POV b/c you confuse the hell out of me.
I think you're missing the point a little. It's not saying that every URM is lazy and coasting, any more than it's saying that every quiet person is going to be in the top 5% (#4) or every person who spends a lot of time in the library is going to be at the bottom of the class and/or drop out (#7). It's just that there are examples of each "type".

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 am

i'm in favor of affirmative action, but if that's your big worry don't you think getting rid of it would be the best way to eliminate that stereotype?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:35 am

creatinganalt wrote:
I agree with you! Besides, no one has even said that they have seen a version of #8 and I think that's because it's the author's fantasy rather than actually existing.
Or perhaps people have seen it and they don't want to say it on TLS for fear of having their eyes ripped out and their brains eaten by the PC people on TLS? Or maybe people were trying to enjoy the article without starting a race war? That's usually how these things end...

I think almost everyone here can think of examples of people who drastically outperformed their numbers or credentials as a result of AA. URM/AA-based programs may be a good public policy choice (I, for one, don't want to go to school with only white guys), but let's not pretend that #8 doesn't exist. I can think of a few kids from high school right off the top of my head who fit this mold.

And seriously, relaaaaaaax.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:37 am

They're all a little exaggerated. That is what makes it funny.

lsat_fear

New

Post by lsat_fear » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:44 am

I'm a combination of the drifter and the mighty mouse (but with only semi-mighty grades).

anyone else realize how often number 1 and number 2 seem to date each other?

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:58 am

Kohinoor wrote:
8. THE DIVERSITY STUDENT

When she’s not busy posing for pictures for the law school’s website and viewbook, she’s enjoying the sweet life of a tuition-free education. How do you spell the name of that Native-American tribe again? Oh yeah, “f-u-l-l r-i-d-e.”

She doesn’t worry so much about preparing for class, taking exams, or career outlooks—and why should she? When her former classmates are sacrificing movie nights just so they can pay back the interest on their student loans, she’ll be relaxing in the comfy leather chair of her 45th-story downtown office. After all, you can only be a diversity student for three years until you’re a diversity hire.
This makes me think of what I did wrong through college and the admissions cycle to be the polar opposite of the "diversity student"

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:02 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
This makes me think of what I did wrong through college and the admissions cycle to be the polar opposite of the "diversity student"
You could have been the face of your undergrad. School marketing photos, FTW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 am

romothesavior wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
You could have been the face of your undergrad. School marketing photos, FTW.
Photoshop solved that problem for colleges.
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:11 am

bilbobaggins wrote:This piece was obviously written by the:

Boring, Middle of the Road, Insecure Common Law Student.

Not enough science skills for med school and an inability to be creative or crunch numbers that rules out a successful business career, the boring, middle of the road law student is likely straight out of undergrad. He or she wants a large paycheck in exchange for doing mind-numbing work at a job he or she can brag about to the rest of us who couldn't give a shit. Faced with other people in law school who don't care as much, have higher ideals or are simply more gifted, he or she tries to be funny by writing inane stereotypes of them and then posting these stereotypes on boring, middle of the road law blog. ;)
LOL

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:13 am

J-tow10 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:This piece was obviously written by the:

Boring, Middle of the Road, Insecure Common Law Student.

Not enough science skills for med school and an inability to be creative or crunch numbers that rules out a successful business career, the boring, middle of the road law student is likely straight out of undergrad. He or she wants a large paycheck in exchange for doing mind-numbing work at a job he or she can brag about to the rest of us who couldn't give a shit. Faced with other people in law school who don't care as much, have higher ideals or are simply more gifted, he or she tries to be funny by writing inane stereotypes of them and then posting these stereotypes on boring, middle of the road law blog. ;)
LOL
Is there any other kind?

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:33 am

They are all supposed to be offensive in some degree. But it's an exaggeration and meant in good fun. "Lighten up, Francis"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”