The Ten Students You Meet in Law School--0Ls take note! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ender Wiggins

New

The Ten Students You Meet in Law School--0Ls take note!

Post by Ender Wiggins » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Just saw this over on Bitter Lawyer and thought it was spot on!

--LinkRemoved--

Don't ask me which one I am!

kk19131

Silver

Re: The Ten Students You Meet in Law School--0Ls take note!

Post by kk19131 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Which one are you?

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:25 pm

kk19131 wrote:Which one are you?
LOL

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 pm

This is hilarious. Thanks for sharing! :lol:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 pm

Great thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Is it short enough to copy/paste here? I'm curious, but I'm bumming around on a filtered internet proxy that flags Bitter Lawyer as "social networking."

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Lol, this is interesting. I instantly knew which one I was, I hope it's not as obvious to everyone else once I start law school. :lol:

Ender Wiggins

New

Post by Ender Wiggins » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:42 pm

They say you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Which, if you’re in law school, means you shouldn’t let any of these ten rat bastards out of your site—for even a minute.

1. THE IMMACULATE ALTRUIST

She’s here to get a law degree so she can save the homes of poor immigrant whales from foreclosure. She disdains anyone who doesn’t dream of working non-profit. To her, law, unlike any other field of study, is either about spreading rainbows and peach cobbler to the corners of the universe or greedily snatching up money whilst helping Rich Corporation A sue Richer Corporation B.

Note: Her worldview only applies to law school. It’s okay if geology students don’t want to enter a career with the Peace Corps and dig wells for African tribes—they can just like rocks. But a law student without a Planeteer ring on is Greed Incarnate.

2. THE MASTER-DEBATER

A typical conversation with him goes like this:

“My parents always told me I should be a lawyer. You know why? Because I love to argue. I argue all the time about everything. And I always win arguments. Seriously, I’ve never lost an argument.”

What he means: He’s a social retard who fights over everything and absolutely refuses to admit when he’s wrong. His parents wanted him to be a lawyer so he would finally find someone else to argue with and maybe stop being such an asshole all the time.

Listen for the following red flags repeated intermittently throughout his precious arguments: “Clearly,” “obviously,” and “it’s completely unreasonable to think that…”

What you won’t hear: References to facts, cases, statutes, or any other recognizable, non-self-centric authority.

When he loses his very first argument—which he will—one of two things will happen: (1) He will fall into a deep, inconsolable, self-loathing depression; (2) like Obi-Wan, he will become a bigger asshole than you can possibly imagine, blaming the loss on anything and everything except his own lack of ability.

3. THE BLONDE BOMBSHELL WITH SOMETHING TO PROVE

She’s as rare as a Giant Panda, but every few years she materializes in a 1L class like a succulent siren through the ocean mist. She has unusual numbers for law school admission: 36-23-33. She also realizes that she’s heart-stoppingly gorgeous, but believes that—like her heroine, the great “Elle Woods, Esquire”—she can overcome all stereotypes and prove herself as a valuable asset to the legal community. And she’s half-right about the asset part; however, she is doomed to either learn how to use her beauty to manipulate others and work her way up the law-school ladder, or to live in hopeless denial.

Addendum: Leave room for the possibility that an absolutely gorgeous and extremely intelligent female law student exists out there somewhere, but if that’s the case, the fact that she will never be my co-counsel is too much to bear. And so, for the sake of psychological self-preservation, I shall vehemently deny her existence.

4. THE MIGHTY MOUSE

Who is he? Is he even in our 3L class? I’ve never noticed him. Did he transfer in?

This person is likely in the top 5% of your class, if not flat-out Numero Uno, but you swear you’ve never seen him before in your life. That’s because he never speaks a word voluntarily, although when called upon he flawlessly utters the insight of a thousand Learned Hands clapping a joyous symphony of jurisprudence. He shows up for classes and exams, and then, like Batman, he disappears into the misty night. (No, he will not let you borrow his outlines.)

5. THE DRIFTER

Half the time he doesn’t even know he’s in law school; the other half he’s high. To him, law school is another three…maybe four…years of delaying the dreaded “real world.” In every court opinion, he can see how The Man keeps him down.

Lucy v. Zehmer: “WTF, man! You can’t take his farm! He was drunk, and he wrote the contract on an f-ing receipt man! That’s just messed up.”

Leonard v. Pepsico: “Oh yeah, corporate America offers a harrier jet thinking no one is going to accept. Then Joe Everyman gets enough Pepsi Points to buy it, and what do they do? They f-ing take it back. WTF, man?! And the law just lets it happen?”

After law school, he will go on to become a doctor…in something. He will continue like this until his absentee parents or Sallie Mae discovers him.

6. THE WUNDERKIND

He started working in a law office delivering interoffice memoranda at age 12. He learned Westlaw before Google. He was the all-star high school debate and moot court champion all four years. His undergraduate degree? Do I even need to say it? It was f-ing pre-law. To him, law school isn’t time to learn; it’s time to shine. After a decade of mentally bench-pressing volume after volume of Corpus Juris Secundum and memorizing the Federal Rules of Evidence, it’s time to oil up those muscles and flex. He doesn’t see peers, only hurdles.

7. EL DESPERATO

He’s in the library eight hours a day (ten on Saturdays and Sundays). He owns more Nutshells than Mr. Peanut. He has every professor’s open office hours scheduled into his BlackBerry. Yet, for the life of him, he can’t seem to pull even a C- on an exam. The reality is that he was never cut out for law school. Be it Nature or Nurture, he was designed for a different job.

The good news: He will realize this.

The bad news: At the point he does, he’ll owe $100 grand and will have lost most, if not all, of his hair.

8. THE DIVERSITY STUDENT

When she’s not busy posing for pictures for the law school’s website and viewbook, she’s enjoying the sweet life of a tuition-free education. How do you spell the name of that Native-American tribe again? Oh yeah, “f-u-l-l r-i-d-e.”

She doesn’t worry so much about preparing for class, taking exams, or career outlooks—and why should she? When her former classmates are sacrificing movie nights just so they can pay back the interest on their student loans, she’ll be relaxing in the comfy leather chair of her 45th-story downtown office. After all, you can only be a diversity student for three years until you’re a diversity hire.

9. THE SAVANT

What the hell??? This guy randomly decided to take the LSAT at the last minute and scored a 179 (and that’s because two pages stuck together). Our professor asks him a question about the Necessary and Proper Clause, and he takes the class on a glorious romp through the metaphysical world of constitutional intransience. Did he even read the case? Does he even outline his notes? Fuck it. I hate this guy.

10. THE N-th GENERATION LAWYER

Let’s just say that he likes to use his middle initial for things. In fact, he’s probably a “Something Something the Fourth” in his family, which is comprised completely of lawyers, legal scholars, a judge or two, and some wives of lawyers. He didn’t enroll in law school, he inherited it. You ask him what he would do if he wasn’t going to be a lawyer, and all you get in return is a blank stare.

Fun fact: He’ll be the only one at graduation wearing cuff links.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:53 pm

WTF? There's none for me.

I'll make one up:

THE DUDE

Likes sports, drinks coffee, shows up in the library when he must, does pretty well, is occasionally coherent in class, and thinks the whole law school system is silly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:10 pm

This piece was obviously written by the:

Boring, Middle of the Road, Insecure Common Law Student.

Not enough science skills for med school and an inability to be creative or crunch numbers that rules out a successful business career, the boring, middle of the road law student is likely straight out of undergrad. He or she wants a large paycheck in exchange for doing mind-numbing work at a job he or she can brag about to the rest of us who couldn't give a shit. Faced with other people in law school who don't care as much, have higher ideals or are simply more gifted, he or she tries to be funny by writing inane stereotypes of them and then posting these stereotypes on boring, middle of the road law blog. ;)

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Love this. Though these people exist (some of them, anyway), I was most surprised by how many normal, prez-style "the dude" characters there are in law school.

Spotted: #4, #7, #9, and #10. :D

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Yeah, one of the reasons I love my law school is that most people are just normal, cool people who happen to study law, not characters from some weird cheat sheet of law school cliches.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:18 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Love this. Though these people exist (some of them, anyway), I was most surprised by how many normal, prez-style "the dude" characters there are in law school.

OS = 1 and 3. In a good way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:29 pm

Ender Wiggins wrote:Long article
Thanks for the copy/paste! I love your username... but I feel compelled to say that it's "Wiggin," not "Wiggins." /dickishness :D One of my favorite books ever.

Also, I really liked the line, "a thousand Learned Hands clapping a joyous symphony of jurisprudence."

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Bummer. I was totally hoping to spot myself, and no dice. Ahvell.

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Closer to an 8 haha

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:48 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Yeah, one of the reasons I love my law school is that most people are just normal, cool people who happen to study law, not characters from some weird cheat sheet of law school cliches.
i would like to argue with you about this

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:48 pm

#1 and I will not get along. I know that already.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Love this. Though these people exist (some of them, anyway), I was most surprised by how many normal, prez-style "the dude" characters there are in law school.

OS = 1 and 3. In a good way.
I hardly match either description, but thank you anyway.

If I could be any of them, #4 would be amazing. What would it be like to tear up law school and then fly under the radar?

Ender Wiggins

New

Post by Ender Wiggins » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm

vexion wrote:
Ender Wiggins wrote:Long article
Thanks for the copy/paste! I love your username... but I feel compelled to say that it's "Wiggin," not "Wiggins." /dickishness :D One of my favorite books ever.

Also, I really liked the line, "a thousand Learned Hands clapping a joyous symphony of jurisprudence."
Yeah, well, someone else took that name but apparently never used it...the extra "s" is for "still love Ender's Game".

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 pm

I aspire to be #4, but I know that I am WAY too fucking loud for my own good. I'll take that 5% or top of the class portion though, please. :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Clearly this list is bogus. It's completely unreasonable to think that everyone fits squarely into one of these ten stereotypes. Obviously the author is a total loser with too much time on his hands.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 pm

sluguy14 wrote:Clearly this list is bogus. It's completely unreasonable to think that everyone fits squarely into one of these ten stereotypes. Obviously the author is a total loser with too much time on his hands.
I don't think the author ever said everyone fits into one of these groups. He is just saying these stereotypes are common and you'll likely run into people like this.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sluguy14 wrote:Clearly this list is bogus. It's completely unreasonable to think that everyone fits squarely into one of these ten stereotypes. Obviously the author is a total loser with too much time on his hands.
I don't think the author ever said everyone fits into one of these groups. He is just saying these stereotypes are common and you'll likely run into people like this.
I'm guessing sluguy was being sarcastic.

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
*WHOOSH

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”