running marathons and ls

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mrc30

running marathons and ls

Postby mrc30 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Anyone out there who has done it? Is it possible to train for a marathon and do your 1L year at the same time? I really want to run the austin marathon in february but am worried that I would be taking on too much. I'm currently a runner, but it would still mean an increase in training time. Is this an incredibly stupid idea? Any advice is appreciated!

sydney

Re: running marathons and ls

Postby sydney » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:25 pm

It will mean some early mornings, but it can be done. I'll be a 2L this year and my roommate and I are going to train 2nd semester for a marathon in May (right before finals). Not too worried about it.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:22 pm

I know a marathon runner and a triathlete that didn't have any issues... they're still doing well grade-wise.

tortbook

Postby tortbook » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:39 am

Because the race isn't until Feb it seems doable if your training program isn't too rigorous (I ran one last year). If it was right before or during exams I would advise against it because you typically run between 10-18 miles every other day for a few weeks leading up to the big race, and that would take precious time away from studying. All the long distance running will be a good way to keep stress down and clear your head. Good luck!

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:22 pm

I know a dude who ran a 50 mile race in mid-November, but he is comfortable not getting all HHs.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Now this is a thread I can relate to. Yes, there's absolutely time. I'm a 0L and I can tell you that confidently, because without running I wouldn't be able to function or think clearly. If you're at all the same, you'll make the time to run and consequently focus better and study more efficiently, in turn affording you more free time to run!

I'm training for a half-marathon in October, and if all goes well I'll be training for a marathon fall of my 2L year. I know plenty of people with very busy schedules who always find time to run/work out, and if you love it enough you'll find the time as well. Good luck!

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:42 pm

I have run 3 marathons (including one in may) and I plan on adjusting my running while in school. I couldn't imagine not running. But when I run more than 15 miles, it's so easy for me to say 'that's the only thing I'm doing today'. It's not about time, as much as it is about energy.

I'm setting a goal to run my fastest 10k in september. I haven't gone under 40 since high school, and I think I can do it with a little focus. I'll probably run a half mary or two throughout the year.

I'm starting LS in the fall, so I'm not really offering advice, as much my gameplan.

mrc30

Postby mrc30 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm

it's nice to hear others are trying it also! i definitely love how running can clear my head and relieve stress. i don't plan on giving it up, it's just a matter of figuring out how much i can commit to. right now i'm doing my runs at 5:30, and especially after a long run, i'm ready to go to sleep early. i guess i'll just figure out how to readjust - looks like i'll be buying more 5 hr energies!

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:33 pm

mrc30 wrote:it's nice to hear others are trying it also! i definitely love how running can clear my head and relieve stress. i don't plan on giving it up, it's just a matter of figuring out how much i can commit to. right now i'm doing my runs at 5:30, and especially after a long run, i'm ready to go to sleep early. i guess i'll just figure out how to readjust - looks like i'll be buying more 5 hr energies!

0L looking to keep up my running as well, though probably not training for a marathon.

When I did run marathons in undergrad, my training plan had me doing runs between 4-8 miles during the weeks, and a longer run on the weekends. I don't think I ever ran more than 5 times a week (usually 3-4), and I only did extra long runs every other weekend leading up to the race date (8 miles one week, 10 the next, 8 miles the next, 12, the next, 8 the next, 14 the next, and so on until I was up to 20 miles, then two weeks off from long runs before the actual marathon), so I was fine getting up early on a Saturday morning, running 14 miles, relaxing for a few hours, and then studying or going out with friends.

Basic schedule:
Sunday: Rest
Monday: Run
Tuesday: Run
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Long run

Very doable. Good luck.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:04 pm

I know someone who ran the NY marathon 1st semester of 1L. You just won't have time to do much outside of law school and that but its totally doable.

Daico

Postby Daico » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:13 pm

I know a fair number of people run marathons and do various things of that nature; three people from my section ran in the Austin Marathon this year and I know one of them was pretty much top in our class.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:16 pm

I want to run one my 3L year, since after my 1L year I have determined I'll have an incredible amount of comparable free time then...

12(b)(6)

Postby 12(b)(6) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:16 pm

A handful of my classmates ran marathons at Penn this year. But, what really impressed me were the dozen people who did the Broad Street Run during reading days before Spring Finals.

If any of you are on TLS, mad props!

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:58 am

People have time to pursue hobbies during law school.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”