Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby Matthies » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:21 pm

General Tso wrote:Happen to anyone else? I barely read for one of my classes, started studying/outlining 3 days before the exam, and aced it. The 2 classes I studied my tail off for all semester were my lowest grades. Maybe I should slack off in them all next semester.


This was totally me. First semester I went to every class, took notes, listened intently, read hornbooks studied my ass off for the "exam." Straight B+'s in everything on a 3.0 curve.

After that I stopped all that shit. I never was an auditory learner anyway, would go to class but zone out and cruise the internet the whole time, never took notes, did not listen to the prof, never took a practice test ect.

All i did was read the book, Google stuff, check real "hornbooks" and try to internalize the material, understand it, not memorize it, learn it as if I was going to practice it rather than for spitting out on an exam.

From that point on tons of A's a few highest grades in the class and graduated 13th. Hell I did not even read the admin law book except the 2 page summery at the end of each chapter and took the highest grade.

I dunno, for me it was just figuring out how I learned BEST and doing what worked for me and not caring about if I was doing it the "right" or the wrong way as opposed to everyone else in my class.

Once I figured that out, everything fell into place.

User avatar
edcrane
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby edcrane » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:35 pm

This happened to me last semester. I put an ungodly amount of work into one course only to get easy test/tight curve pwned. I skimped on studying for my other classes and managed to get A's in both, largely because the tests were much more difficult. The takeaway for me is not that less studying leads to better performance. It's that an easy test can make extensive studying a waste of time.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:Lowly 0L chiming in, feel free to ignore.

Last year I took Calculus for a gen ed requirement, among lots of other classes for my majors. I worked so hard in that class, went to tutoring and office hours, and I got a C+. I was actually more proud of that C+ than I was of my As (lame I know). The reason I worked so hard is because I'm just plain not good at math; it's hard for me. I had to work harder than usual to even pass. On the flipside, I doodled through my English classes and got As because I'm good at English and those aren't as hard for me.

Maybe it doesn't apply to law school, but if I had to venture a guess I'd say everyone just has different strengths. Some people don't have to work as hard to get good grades in classes others struggle with and vice versa.

Again, if that doesn't apply to law school, feel free to ignore, it's just a guess.
Are your classes curved?

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:02 pm

.
Last edited by pasteurizedmilk on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby nealric » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:10 pm

I was actually remarkably consistent with my grades. With the exception of one class (LRW), I always felt like I pretty much got the grade I deserved.

dougroberts
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby dougroberts » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:33 am

Studied least for Contracts, and got an A. Our prof is also a very hard grader, usually flunking about 20% of the class. While I hardly studied until about 4 or 5 days before the exam (including starting my outline), I found the subject easy throughout the semester so I really did not need to study much.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby General Tso » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:44 pm

dougroberts wrote:Studied least for Contracts, and got an A. Our prof is also a very hard grader, usually flunking about 20% of the class. While I hardly studied until about 4 or 5 days before the exam (including starting my outline), I found the subject easy throughout the semester so I really did not need to study much.


come on...FLUNKING 20% of the class? At my school its like 20% get C's. You must attend one of those borderline accredited TTTTs like Golden Gate or Barry.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:59 pm

come on...FLUNKING 20% of the class? At my school its like 20% get C's. You must attend one of those borderline accredited TTTTs like Golden Gate or Barry.


That was totally unnecessary.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby General Tso » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:15 pm

nealric wrote:
come on...FLUNKING 20% of the class? At my school its like 20% get C's. You must attend one of those borderline accredited TTTTs like Golden Gate or Barry.


That was totally unnecessary.


well considering that even moderately reputable schools flunk maybe 1-2 people per section, this guy is either grossly exaggerating or is in no position to brag.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby zanda » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 pm

General Tso wrote:
nealric wrote:
come on...FLUNKING 20% of the class? At my school its like 20% get C's. You must attend one of those borderline accredited TTTTs like Golden Gate or Barry.


That was totally unnecessary.


well considering that even moderately reputable schools flunk maybe 1-2 people per section, this guy is either grossly exaggerating or is in no position to brag.

the poster wasn't bragging. I realize the name of the forum is "Top Law Schools," but that's hardly reason to be a completely dick to someone who is being perfectly polite and reasonable just because he is from a "lesser" school.


haha- just saw this is another thread

General Tso wrote:
booyakasha wrote:so don't go. you're not getting a job anyway.


I am excited to see how TLS has devolved into the same kind of dreck you expect from xoxo and JDU

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby General Tso » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:33 pm

zanda wrote:
General Tso wrote:
nealric wrote:
come on...FLUNKING 20% of the class? At my school its like 20% get C's. You must attend one of those borderline accredited TTTTs like Golden Gate or Barry.


That was totally unnecessary.


well considering that even moderately reputable schools flunk maybe 1-2 people per section, this guy is either grossly exaggerating or is in no position to brag.

the poster wasn't bragging. I realize the name of the forum is "Top Law Schools," but that's hardly reason to be a completely dick to someone who is being perfectly polite and reasonable just because he is from a "lesser" school.


haha- just saw this is another thread

General Tso wrote:
booyakasha wrote:so don't go. you're not getting a job anyway.


I am excited to see how TLS has devolved into the same kind of dreck you expect from xoxo and JDU


That situation was completely different...booyakasha was being an ass to a T30 guy. Everybody on TLS gives TTTT students hell....just look at the 20 page Barry vs. Florida Coastal thread.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Best grade in the class least studied for...and vice versa

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:42 pm

.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests