Bar Review Support Group

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chris0805

Re: Bar Review Support Group

Postby chris0805 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:48 pm

PKSebben wrote:
Rabbitweed wrote:It was indeed blurry. I would have preferred a straightforward elective share calculation question.
Speaking of which, I just realized I didnt say a word about the elective share issue.
Nice.
:roll:

no *real* elective share issue unless you wanted to toss it in as a throw-away. Wife took waaaaaaay over 1/3 of the estate in the residuary. Don't sweat it.

I totally did that. There was a bunch of places (especially after essay 3) where I was like oh BTW, I know X. Definitely doesn't matter here, but thought you might be interested. Kthxbai

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:00 pm

Who else thinks this wristband I can't take off is sexy?

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:55 pm

I really hated the DomRel question. Had no idea what to write other than "The court will look at what is in the best interest of the child." fifteen times.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:30 pm

NewHere wrote:I really hated the DomRel question. Had no idea what to write other than "The court will look at what is in the best interest of the child." fifteen times.

I did the opposite. I wrote a bunch of stuff down, but didn't mention best interests of the child... at all. Still hurting over that corp. essay. I somehow got every rule but one wrong. How much do you get for issue spotting again? I've been on Separec trying to calculate hypothetical scores with a 2 on Essay 3.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:53 pm

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:56 pm

chris0805 wrote:I did the opposite. I wrote a bunch of stuff down, but didn't mention best interests of the child... at all. Still hurting over that corp. essay. I somehow got every rule but one wrong. How much do you get for issue spotting again? I've been on Separec trying to calculate hypothetical scores with a 2 on Essay 3.

How do you do that with Separac? Doesn't the site only work if you know a scaled score? (In other words, if you get a 3 on an essay, how do you know what the scaled score will be?)

But more importantly, you won't get a 2 on that essay. Even if you got all the rules wrong, I think you get most of the points for spotting the issue and applying the wrong rule.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:34 am

CONGRATS YOUR DONE!

If when you read this a few things:
Go have fun, but don't get a DUI the night of the bar exam, its happens every year.

There is no way in hell to calcualte your grade, or any real benifit to comparuing what you wrote to somome else. Its not a LS exam, your not all writing for the same grader. Many diffrent people will grade these, and the odds two of you have the same grader are slim to none. Thus its completly subjective on who gets points for what.

You all very likely passed. Your going to feel like you didn't, but nothing you can do about that now, and it does no good to sweat it. Its over LS is over.

Expect to not know what to do with yourself after you recover from your hangover. To feel like something is missing in your life, becuase it is, but its a new chapter, so move on. M ake the transtion from law stduent to new lawyer. Spedn the no mans land time between now and results geting involved int he lgeal community and meeting other pratcing lawyers and judges. You will need mentors as your start your carear, this is a good time to put all that energy to use starting your next pahse of your legal life (or I guess go take a vacation, but I'm a workahloic, never really took vacations, but that's just me)

You all have done and achived so much. The bar is just the last hurtle. But a new life begins now. That takes some changing of your mindset. Congrats to all of you.

For the very few who don't pass PM me and we can create a second try stargaey. Some folks do miss it by 1-2 or 5-10 points becuase the grading is so subjective. Its OK, your not the only one to have to retake. I did, so we can cross that brindge when it cones. But for now enjoy all you have accomplished and focus on the next steps.

Congrats to ALL!

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks for your input and support Matthies.

It's good to be done!

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:34 pm

nealric wrote:Thanks for your input and support Matthies.

It's good to be done!

Congrats man!

Did you take DC bar? I'm working on getting my paper work in to be addmited there becuase you don't have to take the bar if you have passed in anouther state and aply within 1 year or something. i just donlaoded the app.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks,

I did the NY bar because I'm going to work in NYC (assuming I passed). I don't know why people even take the DC bar with the waive-in provisions.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Rabbitweed

Postby Rabbitweed » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Thought the Multiple Choice questions, especially on the morning session, were way trickier than the Barbri ones. We'll have to wait and see. Good luck everybody with whatever challenges lying ahead of you now.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm off to get hammered off some hairy lousewarts.

Rabbitweed

Postby Rabbitweed » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:44 pm

PKSebben wrote:I'm off to get hammered off some hairy lousewarts.

LOL, while reading that question I immediately knew this one goes straight to the Hall of Fame.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Rabbitweed wrote:Thanks for the kind words.

Thought the Multiple Choice questions, especially on the morning session, were way trickier than the Barbri ones. We'll have to wait and see. Good luck everybody with whatever challenges lying ahead of you now.

Seems like there is allways an easier MBE set. Things is people will be diffrent on what it was, moring or afternoon. Which makes sense once you realize some folks got the morning "easy set" first, while other folks got the "hard set" first. The guy sitting next to you got the moring set and you got the afternoon set, then was revwesed, so you could not have copied his answers.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 pm

There were a couple where I wrote "LOLOLOL" on my booklet. Glad it's over. But as Tom Petty says "Waiting is the hardest part."

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Matthies wrote:

Seems like there is allways an easier MBE set. Things is people will be diffrent on what it was, moring or afternoon. Which makes sense once you realize some folks got the morning "easy set" first, while other folks got the "hard set" first. The guy sitting next to you got the moring set and you got the afternoon set, then was revwesed, so you could not have copied his answers.

Definitely. After the morning session, I though "These questions are remarkably similar to the ones BarBri fed us." In the afternoon: hell, no. What in the world was that.

So happy to be done, though.

Posner

Postby Posner » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:34 pm

I had a similar experience. Morning felt like one of my better sections, afternoon felt eh.. definitely much harder questions.

Rabbitweed

Postby Rabbitweed » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Matthies wrote:

just out of curiosity - are you sure that's the case? wouldn't it theoretically allow people to exchange their experiences during their lunch break? Basically everyone I talked to had the same "order" of sessions. Strangely enough, everyone agreed that one session was much tougher than the other, but it was 50:50 as to which one ;)

Posner

Postby Posner » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Random question: I'm driving for a final fun second day of essays tomorrow, is it permissible to keep my outlines in my car and review them during lunch? I've heard of a lot of people doing it in the past but it seems strange that they wouldn't ban this type of behavior.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Rabbitweed wrote:
Matthies wrote:

just out of curiosity - are you sure that's the case? wouldn't it theoretically allow people to exchange their experiences during their lunch break? Basically everyone I talked to had the same "order" of sessions. Strangely enough, everyone agreed that one session was much tougher than the other, but it was 50:50 as to which one ;)

Yea at lunch as wehn we first notied it, so we paided atention to the test boolet numbmber for after noon. IOf you had say 14AM then you got 17PM, and the pople who had 17 got 14.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:54 am

Nah, the morning/afternoon breakdown was the same for everyone, just with the questions in a different order, in with a handful of test questions that were not the same for everyone. I think people just feel better about one part or the other based on what their preferred subject areas are.

So glad to be done. This MBE was dreadful.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 am

Just wanted to respond to say that separec has an option where you can estimate raw essay scores into scaled essay scores here:

http://seperac.com/bar/calc-raw-scaled.php

NewHere wrote:How do you do that with Separac? Doesn't the site only work if you know a scaled score? (In other words, if you get a 3 on an essay, how do you know what the scaled score will be?)

But more importantly, you won't get a 2 on that essay. Even if you got all the rules wrong, I think you get most of the points for spotting the issue and applying the wrong rule.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks, Chris!

I'm a bit surprised by what that site says. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, because look at this:

1. Start with the page you linked to, and fill in "4.00" as a raw essay score and "4.00" as raw MPT. You get 45.99 as the estimated scaled score for the essay and 62.78 as the estimated scaled MPT score. (Assuming seperac's estimated means and SDs are correct.)

2. Go to this page and fill in 45.99 for every essay (as if you got a raw score of 4 on all five essays) and 62.78 for the MPT (as if you got a 4 on the MPT also).

3. Playing a bit with the remaining elements, it looks like with this combination you pass if you got 25/50 questions right on the NYMC (50%) and a 129 on the MBE. Or if you got 30/50 right on the NYMC, you only need a raw score of 126 on the MBE. With a score of 4 for all essays and the MPT!!!

Surely that can't be true? That looks like you can pass this exam by doing just below average on the MBE and NYMC, and getting a 3.5 on all the essays and MPT. I mean, I hope it's true, but surely the NY bar is not that easy?

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Think about it this way. If you do (on average) worse than 70 % of other takers across the board, you still pass. I think it's possible to do kind of crappy and still make it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”