Bar Review Support Group

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Undead_Ed

Re: Bar Review Support Group

Postby Undead_Ed » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Miniver wrote:Usually three to four hours; sometimes five. I'm sure there are some nuts spending twice as much time, but I have the feeling they'll burn out.

I think that 3-5 hours of after class time is a pretty solid day's work. I mean, these classes are often 4 hours long. I usually do most of my extra PMBR stuff on the weekend or as I have time. You really can't be expected to do it in a day.

pksebben wrote:I stopped doing the MPTs a long time ago.

Totally agree. Our time is much better spent practicing things we actually need to LEARN. MPTs tell you the law, for Pete's sake. I was going to try a couple extra ones in the last week before test day just for timing. I may also peek at the answer to an interrogatory question so I know what an answer looks like. Other than that, I think PMBR only makes us do 2 the entire time.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:41 pm

What's the deal with BarBri's essay grading? Why is the average grade 3.1? Do people really make so much progress that the same group of people will score 5 or higher on the actual bar exam, or do they use a harsh 'curve' on purpose, to scare people into working harder?

Edited because not everyone is taking BarBri: we got our first graded essay back today, and they announced that the average score was 3.1 out of 10.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:52 pm

What's the deal with BarBri's essay grading? Why is the average grade 3.1? Do people really make so much progress that the same group of people will score 5 or higher on the actual bar exam, or do they use a harsh 'curve' on purpose, to scare people into working harder?

I didn't turn in the essay because I was out of town for work when it was due, but I get the impression from talking to people that they intentionally graded it harder than a bar examiner would. I'm half tempted to cheat when turning in the makeup to see how they grade it.

Totally agree. Our time is much better spent practicing things we actually need to LEARN. MPTs tell you the law, for Pete's sake. I was going to try a couple extra ones in the last week before test day just for timing. I may also peek at the answer to an interrogatory question so I know what an answer looks like.

I get the impression that Barbri kind of starts with the assumption that you are an abysmal writer. I guess this makes sense for those who were not US educated, but I just can't believe that US educated people from decent schools need nearly as much writing practice as BARBRI assigns.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:20 pm

I've begun to lose track of what day it is.

It's Saturday night. Are you studying?

--ImageRemoved--

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:29 pm

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:45 pm

PKSebben wrote:Just got done. 11am to 9pm today. I'm starting to wet my pants a little at the amount of material. I made my bones in law school on nuance and policy. The bar exam is a different planet than the one I'm used to playing on.

Shit. I make my bones in law school on nuance and policy. What kind of planet is planet bar exam? I figured it was just bare-bones factual analysis. (I feel like an 0L again asking advice on how to kill 1L).

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:01 pm

solidsnake wrote:What kind of planet is planet bar exam? I figured it was just bare-bones factual analysis.

Yep, bare-bones factual analysis... in 12-15 subjects.

EDIT: And actually, less factual analysis and more rule regurgitation.

Plus a timed legal writing assignment. Blech. I think I need to practice those MPTs 'cause I utterly failed to complete the first one in 90 minutes.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:23 am

I figured it was just bare-bones factual analysis.

Yes, technically it is analysis, but the issue spotting and analysis are not the hard part. The issues are not hidden at all, and the analysis is not very complicated once you have the rule What's hard is that you need to know the rule and be able to state it off the top of your head. I'm very afraid of that part too.

The questions are along the lines of "A tried to serve process on B at his house. B was not home, so A left the summons, but not the complaint, with B's daughter, who was 15 years old. Was this valid service?"
It's not hard to guess what the issues are. But you have to know the rules: can you leave a summons with someone other than the defendant? And if you can, is a 15-year-old daughter acceptable? And is it complete service if it's only the summons and not the complaint?

No hard analysis, just knowing the rules.

I've a bit of a backlog of essays to go through today. Blech.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:02 am

Oh my god, I'm trying to do this weekend's assigned 'cumulative review' (reading outline of material covered so far), and I'm starting to panic. There's just too much stuff.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:16 am

NewHere wrote:Oh my god, I'm trying to do this weekend's assigned 'cumulative review' (reading outline of material covered so far), and I'm starting to panic. There's just too much stuff.

Just remember, minimum competency.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:03 pm

NewHere wrote:Oh my god, I'm trying to do this weekend's assigned 'cumulative review' (reading outline of material covered so far), and I'm starting to panic. There's just too much stuff.

I am right there with you. There is so much material and the distinctions are so minor. The NY Practice stuff has me freaked out badly.

orangeswarm

Postby orangeswarm » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:20 am

I'm glad you guys are freaking out because it has really helped me to become freaked out as well. I was worried that I would never get the motivation.........silly me. :D

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:33 pm

Undead_Ed wrote:
Miniver wrote:Usually three to four hours; sometimes five. I'm sure there are some nuts spending twice as much time, but I have the feeling they'll burn out.

I think that 3-5 hours of after class time is a pretty solid day's work. I mean, these classes are often 4 hours long. I usually do most of my extra PMBR stuff on the weekend or as I have time. You really can't be expected to do it in a day.

pksebben wrote:I stopped doing the MPTs a long time ago.

Totally agree. Our time is much better spent practicing things we actually need to LEARN. MPTs tell you the law, for Pete's sake. I was going to try a couple extra ones in the last week before test day just for timing. I may also peek at the answer to an interrogatory question so I know what an answer looks like. Other than that, I think PMBR only makes us do 2 the entire time.

Do NOT skip practciing the MPTS in CO (I took the CO bar) each MPT is worth 2.5 essays, its actually better to skip a whole esaay than fluff an MPT. At leaste make sure you familer with the MPT formats, and know what goes where. No shit you will get points if its a memeo for writing the to/from name and everything. The MPTs is what people fail most.

Aslo do not feel like you need to write out all the essays, you can read them, then outline, or discuss with a freind to save time. But save several from each subject for actually writing.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:37 pm

ggocat wrote:

Just remember, minimum competency.

Exactly, you're not going for an A here, all you want to do is pass.

You do NOT need to know everything.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:39 pm

After studying future estates, I am so glad that I did not have to cover it in law school. This has to be the most BS area of law on the bar exam- it's more of an exercise in archaic terminology than anything else. They should replace it with tax :twisted:

At least the singing professor taught me everything I need to know. I am a little disappointed, however, that there was no rap for the RAP.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Has anyone tried BarBri at 1.5x speed yet?

I think I'm going to try it tomorrow, to save some time (faster video and eliminating an hour-and-a-half commute), but I can't help but feel a bit guilty for not going to class.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Miniver

Postby Miniver » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Last edited by Miniver on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AR75

Postby AR75 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Miniver wrote:
NewHere wrote:Has anyone tried BarBri at 1.5x speed yet?

I think I'm going to try it tomorrow, to save some time (faster video and eliminating an hour-and-a-half commute), but I can't help but feel a bit guilty for not going to class.

Holy shit. This is awesome. Thank you so much.

NewHere, thanks. I only have a 25-minute drive to the lecture hall, but it's getting harder and harder to go when all the shit is online. The times I have foregone the commute and studied in my underwear, it's been just as effective. I just don't want to get hooked. I guess it makes me feel a little more disciplined and structured, but in reality it's just eating up gas and turnpike fees.

Kansas BarBri for the woot!

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:27 pm

AR75

Postby AR75 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:23 pm

Hey killer. Congrats on getting through LS (not that I am surprised that you would). Where you headed after the bahhh?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 pm

AR75

Postby AR75 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:38 pm

Well good luck sir. I'm sure you'll land quite nicely on your feet, likely in some nice shoes as well.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”