Bar Review Support Group

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Corsair

Re: Bar Review Support Group

Postby Corsair » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:51 pm

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:07 am

Can this be the bar review freak out thread? It's about that time, I think. I was outlining essays today and kept getting slammed with questions I had no clue how to answer (e.g., equitable adoption? reformation of a deed? temporary perfection of negotiable instruments by filing?).

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:13 am

jalong

Postby jalong » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:07 am

I think you only get a 1/3 point for crying on the NY essays.

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:25 am

I was doing some commercial paper essays and had no idea wtf I was doing... I just stared at it, then proceeded to read the answer and still not really grasp it. I think UCC 3 and 9 will be the death of me.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:18 am

jalong wrote:I think you only get a 1/3 point for crying on the NY essays.

What??? I was told you get at least 2. I hope you're joking because this totally throws off my entire exam strategy. Guess I need to go back to studying.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:57 am

Total panic. Only two days left?! And so much more to study. There are entire subjects that I still feel uncomfortable with. :(

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:01 am

NewHere wrote:Total panic. Only two days left?! And so much more to study. There are entire subjects that I still feel uncomfortable with. :(

This. And only one day left for me.

minimum competency minimum competency minimum competency....

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:39 am

NewHere wrote:Total panic. Only two days left?! And so much more to study. There are entire subjects that I still feel uncomfortable with. :(

TO NewHere:
Three numbers for us. 97, 97, 95..... the percent of our classmates in the last three years that passed this on the first try.

Ok, one more number.... 95-100... the likely percent that were worried about failing this thing. Based on what we've been doing, I highly doubt either of us are going to fall into the bottom 3-5 %. Is it possible? Everything's possible, but it seems pretty unlikely.

TO Everyone:
Best of luck to everyone and remember, most people DO pass and most people DO NOT know all they could know. Heck, most people barely know about 60 % and then get a few lucky guesses right and a couple points from BSing on the essay. Most of us will see things that we don't know on the exam and most of us will pass anyway. DON'T PANIC! And GOOD LUCK!

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:55 am

jalong

Postby jalong » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:00 am

chris0805 wrote:

TO NewHere:
Three numbers for us. 97, 97, 95..... the percent of our classmates in the last three years that passed this on the first try.

Ok, one more number.... 95-100... the likely percent that were worried about failing this thing. Based on what we've been doing, I highly doubt either of us are going to fall into the bottom 3-5 %. Is it possible? Everything's possible, but it seems pretty unlikely.

TO Everyone:
Best of luck to everyone and remember, most people DO pass and most people DO NOT know all they could know. Heck, most people barely know about 60 % and then get a few lucky guesses right and a couple points from BSing on the essay. Most of us will see things that we don't know on the exam and most of us will pass anyway. DON'T PANIC! And GOOD LUCK!

Not to say that I'm not panicing, but for the purpose of making us all feel better, I'll re-iterate my previous post that what BarBri calls the "average passing score" I think is the average score of people who passed. I might be wrong on that, but even if you feel like you aren't pulling 5s, consider that you might not need to anyway.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:42 pm

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:07 pm

nealric wrote:Time's up- LET'S DO THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

WHELPS!

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Jordan77 wrote:I was doing some commercial paper essays and had no idea wtf I was doing... I just stared at it, then proceeded to read the answer and still not really grasp it. I think UCC 3 and 9 will be the death of me.

I have secured transactions on motherfucking lockdown but commercial paper is an absolute beast if it goes beyond basic questions. If it's a complicated question (there are two in the NY BARBRI book I thought were totally out of fucking control) I am just going to write down some shit about holder in due course and the two liability theories and move right along.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:21 pm

yeah man. I'm starting to panic a little -- I am sweating commercial paper, evidence, and NY crim / crim pro, and to a lesser extent property. Just make sure to take a look at some recent administrations and the answers.

http://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/ ... stions.htm

These questions are a lot more straight forward than the released ones in the book and far more straight forward than 99% of those barbri questions.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:29 pm

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:05 pm

chris0805 wrote:

TO NewHere:

Thanks, Chris. That is a helpful reminder. (Although at this point, 95% sounds a bit frightening. More frightening than 97%, in the sense that there might be some otherwise competent people in those additional 2% who failed.)

I don't need to tell anyone here, but it's just so much stuff. I know that no one is going to know everything, but I feel like I don't even know everything that BarBri taught us was important. Too much small stuff - small but important enough to ask about.

3.5 days to freedom, everyone. (4.5 for those of you in three-day states.)

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks, Chris. That is a helpful reminder. (Although at this point, 95% sounds a bit frightening. More frightening than 97%, in the sense that there might be some otherwise competent people in those additional 2% who failed.)

Think of it this way: when have you ever been in the bottom 5% of your law school class on an exam? The people who fail are mostly the people at the bottom of the class.

Miniver

Postby Miniver » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Last edited by Miniver on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally put really obscure stuff on the exam to test bs skills.

Rabbitweed

Postby Rabbitweed » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:03 pm

How does your last day look like?

I'll force myself to wake up at 7, to get used to the inhuman requirement of showing up at 7:30 at the testing center on Tuesday. Will mostly cover those annoying little things that are best stored in my short-term memory (i.e. S/L, that terrible and disjointed NY Prof. Resp. outline, parts of Commercial Paper and Wills). Maybe an MPT to get into the mood. I'm fed with with MBE Multiple Choice questions and have only done half of the NY ones - it's a clear hit or miss.

P.S.: That Rule against Suspension - I've given it 35 shots or so over the last two weeks, always getting close but still waiting for the big revelation. If it shows up I'll just splash the 10 point checklist and toss a coin on the application. Anyone here who actually comprehends it in all its glory?

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:15 pm

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:08 pm

I wish it could be a relaxed day, but I'm afraid it's going to be hectic.

Get up at 7-ish or maybe a bit earlier (which is my normal time to get up anyway).

Study four of those pesky 'little' subjects: Agency & Partnership / Conflicts of Law / Domestic Relations / Federal Jurisdiction. (Have hardly looked at those last three at all yet, since making the outline, apart from seeing them in some essays.)

Go through flashcards for all the other subjects for the third/fourth/whatevereth time.

Read through the MPT instructions because I haven't practiced enough of them.

Read through the notes I've been keeping while doing essays and practice MBE questions.

And unfortunately I'm going to lose a few hours in travel time to sign an apartment lease. (Unless that falls through; knock on wood.)

If there is time left: read through some of the essays I didn't do over the past two months, and the model answers, without writing them out or even outlining them.

-----
On another note, is anyone getting even close to BarBri's Paced Program's 100% line?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm going to learn state civil and criminal procedure tomorrow. Also review my essay outlines.

In the mean time, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Rabbitweed

Postby Rabbitweed » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 pm

NewHere wrote:
-----
On another note, is anyone getting even close to BarBri's Paced Program's 100% line?

I stopped after the second MPQ 5 Set. Those questions were exotic and bizarre and not really contributing any new relevant knowledge. I also skipped those two other 100 question exams and just did the two 36 mixed sets. Didn't do half of the NYMCS. Just read the answers of most of these DR Essays assigned for this week.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”