Bar Review Support Group

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nealric

Re: Bar Review Support Group

Postby nealric » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:15 pm

I know I said I was quitting TLS until the bar, but this is bar related so I think it's OK :mrgreen:

Everyone who is worried should do the NCBEX exam. So refreshingly easy after the barbri questions. Passed it by a mile after epicfailing the barbri in-class and scraping by on the barbri "simulated final".

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:30 pm

what were people's MBE practice scores? Is 92 awful?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:37 pm

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Yes. Very annoying. I had the same problem with the Partnership & Agency guy.

I do wonder whether it is necessary to memorize all the detail in the CMR. BarBri did tell us in the beginning that we didn't have to read anything, if we didn't want to, so long as we studied everything that was covered in the lectures. Does that sound right?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:04 pm

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Let's hope this minimum competency talk is right.
Seconded.

Also, I don't want to look at that guy staring at us in StudySmart anymore.

KennyinGrinnell

Postby KennyinGrinnell » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:53 pm

My BARBRI MBE practice scores
July 2 Practice MBE 95/200
July 10 PRE 100 64/100
July 17 SFE 100 52/100

I will also do the NCBEX OPTs and the MPQ2 half day and full day before the bar

Beyond that I am transitioning to focusing on the Essays (Massachusetts)
The nice thing is that 5 of the 7 most frequent subjects for the essays are MBE subjects (with Constitutional Law being #10 overall)

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:29 pm

At this point I am starting to wonder whether it is the best use of my time to do any more questions and essays, or whether I should just spend 100% of the time on memorization. Or maybe 80%, and 20% exercises just so as not to forget what they look like.

Doing practice exercises is good to get a feel for the kind of questions they may give us and the kinds of answers we're expected to give, but after a while the format itself is not new anymore, and at this point, although I do occasionally pick up a new rule or exception from an exercise, I do wonder if I wouldn't be picking up more substance from studying the material.

Any opinions?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:41 pm

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:05 pm

PKSebben wrote:
NewHere wrote:At this point I am starting to wonder whether it is the best use of my time to do any more questions and essays, or whether I should just spend 100% of the time on memorization. Or maybe 80%, and 20% exercises just so as not to forget what they look like.

Doing practice exercises is good to get a feel for the kind of questions they may give us and the kinds of answers we're expected to give, but after a while the format itself is not new anymore, and at this point, although I do occasionally pick up a new rule or exception from an exercise, I do wonder if I wouldn't be picking up more substance from studying the material.

Any opinions?

I have asked a similar question of my friends that passed the bar -- I'll post their responses when I hear back. I've moved on to quickly scanning essay questions and MC questions for rules not covered in the lecture / CMR. Right now I'm just getting every element in the CMR / lectures down on flash cards and memorizing them.

Thanks! I would be interested in hearing what your friends have to say. (I don't have any friends who passed the bar in recent times.)

I'm doing the same thing as you: getting all the stuff down on flash cards, in the hope of committing it to memory between now and next week.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm trying to finish the PMBR book right now (looks like tomorrow), and then I'm transitioning to stuyding my Mnemonics flash cards from the course (doing Pieper not barbri if that makes any difference). I like doing the multiple choice, and definitely feel like I pick some good rules/distinctions that I might miss just from memorizing, but I can't be sure.

From this point on, I think it will just be studying, look over essay topics, and then more studying. I'm also thinking of doing the NCBEX exam, if nothing other than a confidence builder (hopefully... :? ). Feeling overwhelmed and frightened, but I think if I feel that way, I can't possibly be in the 3-5 percent of people in my class who fails... right??? right??

Hope you're all staying sane. I am.... kinda

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 pm

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Almost all of BarBri's NYMCs are garbage.

At least . . . I ardently hope so, because I'm crap at answering them.

Their MBEs and essays are OK, but I really wonder what sadistic intern got the job of compiling the NYMCs.

Rabbitweed

Postby Rabbitweed » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:52 pm

yeah, it's hard to take those NYMC questions too seriously (the NY Practice questions were absolutely insane).

as for the MPT: only did 3 or so properly (including the BarBri assigned one). Will try to memorize the overall format for the most common assignments and do 2 or 3 more shortly before the exam to get the "feel" for it (i.e. work on time management!).

I devoted this whole day (still sitting in a lonely seminar room) to catching up with all the Essays as they were assigned on the paced program for the last 2 weeks and will now shift to pure hardcore memorization of elements. It's kinda ridiculous that this is what it all comes down to - playing memory with fancy words.

good luck everyone!

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Those of you who are saying you are doing the NCBEX, did you pay for the sample test (OPE), or do you mean the 18-question mini test in the free MBE booklet on the NCBEX website?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:11 pm

KennyinGrinnell

Postby KennyinGrinnell » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:45 am

I am droping the $26 each for the OPTs.

But I am doing something crazy today, I am going to take the day off to recharge. I don't want to burn out and I've spent the past 2 weeks hitting the MBE really hard to boost my score after that rough Practice test score of 95/200.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:50 am

Postby 12262010 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:54 am

Corsair wrote:God I've done so little work compared to all of you. I need to get serious this week. However I have been getting 60%+ correct on practice MBE's (supposedly in the 80% percentile of BarBri takers at the time) so I feel like I have a bit of cushion, given that 85% of people pass in Illinois.

Also I've never in my life written a practice essay, so I'm not sure it'd be helpful to start now.

why are you even taking the bar?

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:59 am

booyakasha wrote:
Corsair wrote:God I've done so little work compared to all of you. I need to get serious this week. However I have been getting 60%+ correct on practice MBE's (supposedly in the 80% percentile of BarBri takers at the time) so I feel like I have a bit of cushion, given that 85% of people pass in Illinois.

Also I've never in my life written a practice essay, so I'm not sure it'd be helpful to start now.

User was Banned for this Post

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

Wow, rape apologists and racists=ok, but make a snide comment about a mod and you're fucked.
Last edited by Renzo on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:16 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

Why?!

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:47 pm

:roll: really?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:57 pm

hellokitty wrote::roll: really?

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

Another abuse of power, if that's true.

I was going to respond to Corsair, but forget it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”