Bar Review Support Group Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Bar Review Support Group

Post by reasonable_man » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:07 am

I got a 132 on the simulated MBA in 2008 and wound up with a 158 or so on the real one.. Keep working on those practice problems.. You break a 145 or so and you're not going to fail no matter what..

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:35 am

Quick question: are BarBri's "PRE" questions supposed to be easier than the regular MBE drills?

I did the 100-question thing and got a better score than I did on the practice MBE, but while I would like to think that I'm slowly getting better at this, I'm afraid it's just that the questions are easier. (Maybe comparable to MPQ sets 1 and 2.) Does anyone know?

Yours in obsession,

NewHere

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:24 pm

I didn't really do any better on the PRE questions, so I think you may have improved. For whatever reason, I was absolutely destroyed by the contracts question in the PRE set- I'm normally not even that weak in contracts.

blzrchick2

New

Post by blzrchick2 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Most people took the Preview MBE during the first week before we knew anything, so I think in that way its sort of like the Drills, in that it brings up common issues that you'll face. But in redoing some of the questions, I think that the answer choices were a bit easier on the Preview than on the Simulated...it was easier to eliminate all the wrong choices on the Preview knowing what we know now. So I think that they are slightly easier, more along the lines of MPQ1 and MPQ2, but if you're doing well on Preview at this point I think you're good to go!

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks, both.

How's everyone doing? T-15, at least for New York. Two more lecture days. I'm still terrified of failing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Lectures are done for us, but started reviewing my Article 9 lecture notes, and it's like I've never seen them before. Doing well on stuff I took in law school, crappy on stuff I'm learning for the first time.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Out of curiosity, if the average person buys a house today, does that go by quitclaim deed, general warranty deed, or special warranty deed?
And, in case anyone knows, how about commercial real estate?

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Custom differs from state to state - special warranty deeds are more common in Florida, for example, while warranty deeds are more common in most of the Northeast. Quitclaim deeds are less common all over in standard residential transactions

Not sure the same pattern shows up in commercial transactions; all three types would have their uses, depending on how much risk the partis wanted to carry to make sure the deal goes through.
Last edited by DelDad on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blzrchick2

New

Post by blzrchick2 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Afraid of failing too, but trying to keep a positive attitude, I feel like the mental game is where the battle is really fought.

Just took the Simulated Written Final exam today (CA), and was not the most fun experience. One thing I hate about essays is that it's impossible to know what's enough. At least MBE you get a score and know where you stand. Also doesn't help that the Barbri sample answers are ridiculously long/detailed...and that they keep writing "in order to pass you had to talk about this". For EVERY issue. haha.

Hang in there everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Rough two days with some PMBR review questions. Anyone else doing these? Are you finding them challenging? I'll do pretty well on a sub-section and then the next 30 in the same topic will just be a disaster. It's not exactly encouraging.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm not doing a whole bunch more of PMBR. Maybe 20-30 per day at most. I took the NCBEX online MBE 1 exam a few days ago and quickly realized how out of touch PMBR questions are compared to actual MBE questions.

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:15 pm

ggocat wrote:I'm not doing a whole bunch more of PMBR. Maybe 20-30 per day at most. I took the NCBEX online MBE 1 exam a few days ago and quickly realized how out of touch PMBR questions are compared to actual MBE questions.
That's not encouraging :?. Are the PMBR questions easier? Harder? Just different?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:19 pm

chris0805 wrote:
ggocat wrote:I'm not doing a whole bunch more of PMBR. Maybe 20-30 per day at most. I took the NCBEX online MBE 1 exam a few days ago and quickly realized how out of touch PMBR questions are compared to actual MBE questions.
That's not encouraging :?. Are the PMBR questions easier? Harder? Just different?
I think they are harder. They are definitely longer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:22 pm

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:15 pm

For the NY bar takers: does anyone else find the NY MC questions impossible?

I'm doing fine on the MBE questions, but I'm utterly lost on the NY MC, even for the subjects that I think I know relatively well. If the questions are like the ones BarBri gave us, I'm going to fail the NY MC part.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:30 pm

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:34 pm

NewHere wrote:Out of curiosity, if the average person buys a house today, does that go by quitclaim deed, general warranty deed, or special warranty deed?
And, in case anyone knows, how about commercial real estate?
In Massachusetts we use a Quitclaim Deed which is actually a Warranty Deed rather than a "multi-state" quitclaim deed. wrap your head around that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:38 pm

I'm studying for the MA Bar here. Anyone else on this board studying for the MA Bar? I think I have the MBE down, now I am transitioning to the essays. From what I've heard the MA Bar is actually relatively easy compared to other bars (I mean it does have close to a 90% pass rate) but I am taking nothing for granted here.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:57 am

KennyinGrinnell wrote:In Massachusetts we use a Quitclaim Deed which is actually a Warranty Deed rather than a "multi-state" quitclaim deed. wrap your head around that.
That's like NY Assault, which is multistate Battery, while multistate Assault is "Menacing" in NY.

And YES, PKSebben, Essay 17?! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was lost on that one.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:30 am

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:13 am

Nine days?! When is your bar?

(NY starts on the 27th.)

As for progress: meh. Working hard, but there are just too many subjects. Doing fine on the MBE, but not so sure about the state subjects yet.

It will be so great to have this behind us, though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:53 am

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:57 am

I am confuzzled about the MPT. I've done a couple, but I ran out of time both times. There was way more I wanted to talk about. I spent half my time or more reading through and outlining. The tough thing about the MPT is that it's hard to know what's important until you read everything.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:09 pm

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:38 pm

If you know that you can do the essays in the time allotted, it may make sense to keep the MPT for the very end. (Also because it gives you the opportunity to go back to the essays at the very end to see if there is anything you forgot to say.) On the bar-course practice day, it seemed easier to save time on the essays than on the MPT.

I dread the MPT because I will be handwriting. The MPT in particular is something where I would love to have a computer, to be able to reorganize text, copy and paste, add an extra line here or there, etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”