Bar Review Support Group

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PKSebben

Re: Bar Review Support Group

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:27 pm

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:05 pm

I got a similar score, but I don't know what it means. I mean, it's barely a passing score on the actual MBE, and the questions will be different. And a frighteningly high number of points I got through basically guesswork.

I wish there were a full, actual old MBE available to practice. I don't feel confident at all about this test. :(

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Good luck to those taking the bar. If anyone is taking the NY bar and wants to talk to someone who took and passed it within the last few years, feel free to pm me or talk here.

Again good luck everyone...

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:17 pm

NewHere wrote:I got a similar score, but I don't know what it means. I mean, it's barely a passing score on the actual MBE, and the questions will be different. And a frighteningly high number of points I got through basically guesswork.

I wish there were a full, actual old MBE available to practice. I don't feel confident at all about this test. :(

How are you doing % wise on the online MBE questions per topic?

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Matthies wrote:
NewHere wrote:I got a similar score, but I don't know what it means. I mean, it's barely a passing score on the actual MBE, and the questions will be different. And a frighteningly high number of points I got through basically guesswork.

Slightly above BarBri's target scores, generally, but not hugely so. Roughly 68-72% for every subject, except for Real Property which I guess I need to work on (55%). I think it's supposed to be sufficient, but it just doesn't feel adequate.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:35 pm

NewHere wrote:
Matthies wrote:

Slightly above BarBri's target scores, generally, but not hugely so. Roughly 68-72% for every subject, except for Real Property which I guess I need to work on (55%). I think it's supposed to be sufficient, but it just doesn't feel adequate.

68-72% is good, at least it was in my state, don't feel bad about property, i was in the same range and so where my freinds, everyone sucked at propetry MBEs, You'll be fine, don't forget to work on essays too, ist easy to jsut focus on MBEs too much.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks, Matthies. I hope you're right. I'm not feeling confident about this at all, but I guess every bit of encouragement helps.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:45 pm

NewHere wrote:Thanks, Matthies. I hope you're right. I'm not feeling confident about this at all, but I guess every bit of encouragement helps.

You will NEVER feel confidant about the bar,a nd you will feel less confidant about it the clsoer you get, but everyone feeels like that, ist normal, just do your best. You know enough to pass, remeber that's all you need!

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:55 pm

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Did well on the simulated MBE yesterday; increasingly freaking out about Delaware's essays (60% of our total score). One 45 minute essay I did today had nine sub-questions and took up three pages.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:53 pm

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:00 pm

PKSebben wrote:You sound just like me -- ha!

Ha! Here's to both of us, and all of us in this thread, passing easily, after having been so stressed out about it.

And yes, it's going to be a painful few weeks. After the last law-school exams I was so happy never to have to do this again. Little did I know . . .

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:38 pm

NewHere wrote:
PKSebben wrote:You sound just like me -- ha!

Ha! Here's to both of us, and all of us in this thread, passing easily, after having been so stressed out about it.

And yes, it's going to be a painful few weeks. After the last law-school exams I was so happy never to have to do this again. Little did I know . . .

So I'm still doing practice questions tonight and something just dawned on me. We're going to pass... all of us that are freaking out about this. If we keep working and stressing about this test, I'm almost certain we'll pass.

Also, if you're above "target levels" of any reputable bar company, I think you're doing solid. No bar company wants to give anyone a false sense of security. If anything, they'd prefer us to be all ripping our hair out thinking we need to study MOAR and MOAR and then have us all be happy when we pass.

That is all.

P.S. Is anyone doing the PMBR workbook? If so, what percentage are you getting on those? I'm hitting around 65 % the first time through on topics.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 am

Matthies wrote:
observationalist wrote:
NewHere wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:Wait -- 130 MBE is clearly passing on the NY Bar (assuming average-ish state essays/MPT)? Scaled? If that's true, then NY's reputation as a tough bar exam should seriously be reconsidered.

No, raw. If you get 130 out of 200 questions right, you pass if you also get average-ish essays/MPT/state MC.

Bump... self-studying here in Nashville for the summer, taking NY bar (White Plains... going straight to Mamaroneck after things wrap up on Wednesday), then moving to Chile in the fall. Figure I could use all the Matthies advice I can get before I go off saving trees in South America.

The seperac website is pretty interesting, so thanks.

WTFyour going to practice international environmental law, and you did not go to Yale? The world as TLS knows it is crumbling forever.

PS. Today I picked up my first case where I'm actually using the ESA to try and kill another species. Crazy world we live in.

Good luck on the bar my friend.

Yep... while the US market for American lawyers has shrunk, the Chilean market for American lawyers has held surprisingly constant. But yeah, I guess you can call it international enviro until we come back to the states, at which point it will be back to boring domestic enviro.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:38 am

And yes, you will all pass the bar. There are roughly 45,000 grads coming out of all 200 ABA-approved law schools this year, and the course materials everyone's going through are designed to help the worst of those 45,000 achieve minimum competency. If anyone else is self-studying I'd be curious to know if your methods are any different than the BarBri/PMBR/Pieper/Micromash folks... we're basically doing a mix of old course materials and free stuff my SO was able to pick up thanks to a scholly from one of them.

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:45 pm

So I was just explaining to my son that I couldn't go to the movies today, but that I would be done with all of this in about three weeks and that I'd have a lot more time for fun stuff then. At which point he said "Yay!" and then asked excitedly, "And how long from then until you find out how bad you've done?"

Edit: Follow up: After I told him I'd find out in October: "After you start working?" "Yeah, I don't actually need to pass the par to work for the judge." "How come you went to law school to get a job you didn't need to be a lawyer for?"
Last edited by DelDad on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Just posting to memorialize the fact that Monday (T-minus two weeks) is my cutoff on TLS. The outside world closes to me on that day.

Seems silly to post, but I know I'm going to spend more time on here if I don't put it writing. Catch you guys on the flipside.
Last edited by nealric on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:56 pm

NewHere wrote:
I wish there were a full, actual old MBE available to practice.

You can get very old ones (2 from 1991 and 1 from 1998):http://www.ncbex2.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=23
They also have 2 100 question sets made up of actual questions from previous exams.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:02 pm

But the new ones look quite different from the old ones, don't they? Plus the law may be different.

Funny about your son, DelDad.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:11 am

BarBri score reports are up. It's pretty cool to see the breakdown. It's pretty spot on with the areas I feel incompetent in, so this will be helpful.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:03 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:05 pm

NewHere wrote:But the new ones look quite different from the old ones, don't they? Plus the law may be different.

Funny about your son, DelDad.

Yeah, the old tests themselves look different. The two 100 Question sets were more recent question, though. Treated them as a single MBE and found it pretty useful, at least to see what non simulated questions were like.

Snagged a 150 on the simulated MBE - pretty happy with that.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Snagged a 150 on the simulated MBE - pretty happy with that.

OK, you can stop studying now.

cornell1L

Postby cornell1L » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Reminder: 88% of first time, ABA grads passed the NY bar last July.

Did you graduate outside of the bottom 10% of your class? Are studying several hours a day?

You will pass.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”