Q's for those who took Law Preview

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bosque

Re: Q's for those who took Law Preview

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:47 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Just took it last week. Granted, I haven't taken any classes yet, so I can't give any "proof" that it necessarily worked.

However, I feel that I grasp the "big picture" quite a bit after the substantive law classes. I know I have WAY more to learn, but my ability to at least have some kind of a big picture view of each subject I think will prove invaluable come exam time.

The thing I feel that helped most was the legal research and writing seminar on Saturday. I feel much more prepared to tackle my LR&W class in an efficient manner, instead of feeling like a lost puppy in the law library.

Overall, I'll say that I think the price was a bit much upfront, but I feel like if it ends up improving your grades, it's worth it.

Since you are getting in for free, you have nothing to lose. I had a few people in my class last week who were getting it for free, and they said it was the best time investment they could have made.

Just make sure to keep an open mind. Your professor could have a completely different view of what the "big picture" of her or his class is. If that is the case, you need to be prepared to quickly forget everything you learned about it in the course and relearn it the professor's way. Otherwise, your "big picture" step up could turn into a B- in the class.

MiamiUG

Postby MiamiUG » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:58 pm

billyez wrote:So, I'm going to be able to attend a Law Preview session before the semester starts. I'm getting it for free, so this isn't a question about whether its worth it or not. The question is did you guys feel like it successfully set the foundation for thinking about your law school classes in the proper frame of mind?

How did you get it for free?

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Bosque wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Just took it last week. Granted, I haven't taken any classes yet, so I can't give any "proof" that it necessarily worked.

However, I feel that I grasp the "big picture" quite a bit after the substantive law classes. I know I have WAY more to learn, but my ability to at least have some kind of a big picture view of each subject I think will prove invaluable come exam time.

The thing I feel that helped most was the legal research and writing seminar on Saturday. I feel much more prepared to tackle my LR&W class in an efficient manner, instead of feeling like a lost puppy in the law library.

Overall, I'll say that I think the price was a bit much upfront, but I feel like if it ends up improving your grades, it's worth it.

Since you are getting in for free, you have nothing to lose. I had a few people in my class last week who were getting it for free, and they said it was the best time investment they could have made.

Just make sure to keep an open mind. Your professor could have a completely different view of what the "big picture" of her or his class is. If that is the case, you need to be prepared to quickly forget everything you learned about it in the course and relearn it the professor's way. Otherwise, your "big picture" step up could turn into a B- in the class.

Not big picture in the respect of theory, but big picture in the respect of how each case led to the next..."roadmap" may be a more appropriate description I guess. Some of the professors did go off on their theoretical or public policy route, and I made sure I didn't even take notes on that portion of their lectures.

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Instead of taking law preview, why not learn how to brief cases and outline? If you can do those two things, you are golden as far as studying goes. As for taking tests, get area-specific supplements and "Getting to Maybe". For multiple choice tests, I liked working through the Kaplan PMBR books.

For now, relax. Why stress yourself out with eight hour days of monotony when summer is winding down?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”