The effects of stress on the brain Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ChewbaccaDefense

New

The effects of stress on the brain

Post by ChewbaccaDefense » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:17 am

While getting myself in shape over the past year, I did a lot of research into the role various hormones play in our overall well-being. One that kept coming up as a real detriment to my goals was cortisol (stress hormone designed for fight-or-flight). I'm not claiming that law students are more tightly wound and thus have more sensitive cortisol release systems, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. That said, I think this page has a lot of great information that reinforces how important it is to manage your stress levels in school. The section on stress and memory is particularly insightful.

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/stress.html

In short, if you haven't already, you might want to take a few weeks to put in place a good, long-term stress management plan. I didn't do this before my career picked up and before I knew it, I'd worked 65 - 70 hour weeks without a day off other than the major holidays (xmas/thxgvng, memorial day, labor day) for 2 years straight. I can't stress (ha) enough how important it is NOT to do this.

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Re: The effects of stress on the brain

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:48 am

Fascinating stuff. My own stress management system, which I am finding remarkably efficient, is quite simple-- for the production of hormones to counteract anxiety and stress, there is only one solution:

SEXYTIME

;-)

senunit

New

Re: The effects of stress on the brain

Post by senunit » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:54 am

or XANAX 8)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”