The effects of stress on the brain

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

The effects of stress on the brain

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:17 am

While getting myself in shape over the past year, I did a lot of research into the role various hormones play in our overall well-being. One that kept coming up as a real detriment to my goals was cortisol (stress hormone designed for fight-or-flight). I'm not claiming that law students are more tightly wound and thus have more sensitive cortisol release systems, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. That said, I think this page has a lot of great information that reinforces how important it is to manage your stress levels in school. The section on stress and memory is particularly insightful.

In short, if you haven't already, you might want to take a few weeks to put in place a good, long-term stress management plan. I didn't do this before my career picked up and before I knew it, I'd worked 65 - 70 hour weeks without a day off other than the major holidays (xmas/thxgvng, memorial day, labor day) for 2 years straight. I can't stress (ha) enough how important it is NOT to do this.

Re: The effects of stress on the brain

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:48 am

Fascinating stuff. My own stress management system, which I am finding remarkably efficient, is quite simple-- for the production of hormones to counteract anxiety and stress, there is only one solution:

Re: The effects of stress on the brain

Postby senunit » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:54 am

or XANAX 8)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”