Law school in a Flash

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
isaiah6v8

Law school in a Flash

Postby isaiah6v8 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:55 pm

Found several copies of different classes at our Half Price Bookstore, is it s worthwhile buy? Maybe only for certain classes? No good at all? The copyright date is 1994.

Jarndyce

Re: Law school in a Flash

Postby Jarndyce » Mon May 31, 2010 4:11 pm

Not trying to be a downer, but I would not waste my money on supplements that are nearly 20 years old. There is a reason that they are in a discount bookstore. I can think of a few things off the top of my head that would not be in the books back then- examples include a slight shift back toward states rights with the dormant commerce clause (can't remember the case...) and a complete 100% shift in pleading standards thanks to Bell Atlantic v. Twombley (2006) and Ashcroft v. Iqbal (2008). I also think Asahi, which dramatically impacted personal jurisdiction evaluations, was decided post-1994.

And those are a very few basic examples off the top of my head. I would be hesitant to get a book that was even one edition old- a 1994 book would be completely out of the question.

isaiah6v8

Re: Law school in a Flash

Postby isaiah6v8 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:42 pm

Jarndyce wrote:Not trying to be a downer, but I would not waste my money on supplements that are nearly 20 years old. There is a reason that they are in a discount bookstore. I can think of a few things off the top of my head that would not be in the books back then- examples include a slight shift back toward states rights with the dormant commerce clause (can't remember the case...) and a complete 100% shift in pleading standards thanks to Bell Atlantic v. Twombley (2006) and Ashcroft v. Iqbal (2008). I also think Asahi, which dramatically impacted personal jurisdiction evaluations, was decided post-1994.

And those are a very few basic examples off the top of my head. I would be hesitant to get a book that was even one edition old- a 1994 book would be completely out of the question.

cool, good to know! Thanks.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”