Grade Distribution Question - Math/Stats Help Needed

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jaudette

Grade Distribution Question - Math/Stats Help Needed

Postby jaudette » Sun May 30, 2010 8:55 am

My school does not give class rank, but employers still want to know where you fall in the class so I have to figure it out somehow. Here is what I know:

-18 out of 183 people in my class were at or above a 3.6 (Dean's List)
-the average GPA was 3.17 (or at least it was last semester, so I'll just assume it stayed constant)
-My GPA was 3.38
-Assume a normal distribution.

Any statistic majors out there want to help me? My estimate was somewhere between 65-75 percentile.

jaudette

Re: Grade Distribution Question - Math/Stats Help Needed

Postby jaudette » Sun May 30, 2010 9:12 am

Ok, using one of the cheapy online distribution calculators I came up with about 74 percentile. Can anyone confirm?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun May 30, 2010 10:06 am

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaudette

Postby jaudette » Sun May 30, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks. You're right that the employers know whats up, but our career services site just states the requirements for each employer, so I don't want to walk into a top 1/3 requirement and have them say, "Your GPA is not what we're looking for." Its just a wasted time spot for me and them, and it takes it away from someone else too.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:21 am

at my school we're not even allowed to guess. employers will know based on your GPA where you fall, probably way better than you do.

don't worry about taking up a spot, man. it's not like a trap door opens when you come in the interview room.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”