Would you drop out in my situation? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Notor

Bronze

Re: Would you drop out in my situation?

Post by Notor » Fri May 28, 2010 8:45 pm

trialjunky wrote: I'm curious...what in his statement made you assume he was a URM?
It was probably the part where he said he was a URM

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri May 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote: Not to brag, but I'm a URM.
I don't get it, but does this mean all URMs are the first in their family to get a degree and their parents have no money???
Where did you get the "all"?
He said "I'm the first to get my degree in my family, they don't have money"

You said "I dont mean to brag but Im URM"

If "not all" URMs families' don't have money and "not all" of them are the first to get their degree than you probably should have said "I am the first in my family to get my degree, they don't have money, AND I don't mean to brag but Im URM"
No! I should not have said.

The OP threw out their status and accomplishment.

I, then, said,"Not to brag, but I'm URM. I threw out my status and accomplishment. This is where the argument ends. You inferred a lot that was unnecessary.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri May 28, 2010 8:47 pm

Notor wrote:
trialjunky wrote: I'm curious...what in his statement made you assume he was a URM?
It was probably the part where he said he was a URM

Really? I missed that part. Sorry. I didn't throw my status because I suspected the OP was URM. I threw my status to match OP's status and accomplishment (Yes, I see attending law school as an accomplishment).
Last edited by SwollenMonkey on Fri May 28, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trkmantis2

New

Post by trkmantis2 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:48 pm

OP, do you have a summer job which might help you decide if you want to be an attorney? Or are you signed up for a clinic next semester?

Some people hate law school but love the practice of law, if that's you, get in there, hit the books & network your ass off!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:49 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:

I, then, said,"Not to brag, but I'm URM. I threw out my status and accomplishment. This is where the argument ends. You inferred a lot that was unnecessary.
You have officially added nothing to this thread. Basically you stating that you are URM was actually you 'bragging'? I don't know how that is bragging really. But really your comments have actually either added nothing to discussion or were completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. On top of that they weren't even comical, which I think you originally intended them to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri May 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:

You have officially added nothing to this thread. Basically you stating that you are URM was actually you 'bragging'? I don't know how that is bragging really. But really your comments have actually either added nothing to discussion or were completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. On top of that they weren't even comical, which I think you originally intended them to be.
Well, I was never questioning your powers of observation. I'll keep your observations in mind. Thank you.

Thanks for making things official!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:55 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote: Well, I was never questioning your powers of observation. I'll keep your observations in mind. Thank you.
You should probably also keep your "achievements and accomplishments" (if you can call them that) in mind when trying to rip on someone who is sincerely asking for advice not sympathy

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri May 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote: Well, I was never questioning your powers of observation. I'll keep your observations in mind. Thank you.
You should probably also keep your "achievements and accomplishments" (if you can call them that) in mind when trying to rip on someone who is sincerely asking for advice not sympathy

Defender-of-all-things-great-and-small, are you done?

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Fri May 28, 2010 8:58 pm

[quote="mhernton"]Finish Law School.[quote]

Good Talk. After deciding if law is what you want to do (shouldn't you have done this two years ago?), take classes which will boost your GPA, build up relationships, and perform an organized assault on all that is future employment.

Also, get away from TLS and sit on the decision for two weeks, then make a decision.

[quote="swollenmonkey"]Not to brag, but I'm a URM.[quote]

Bad Talk. Take this garbage somewhere else.

Edit: quote fail :(
Last edited by yinz on Fri May 28, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:59 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:

No. Where do you go to law school?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri May 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:

No. Where do you go to law school?

Here:
http://www.peoplescollegeoflaw.edu/

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:10 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
Here:
I'm sure its around the same level as yours. Its OK if you don't want to post it. I understand. URM status and you still couldn't break top 100 damn kid.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri May 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
Here:
I'm sure its around the same level as yours. Its OK if you don't want to post it. I understand. URM status and you still couldn't break top 100 damn kid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 28, 2010 9:12 pm

trialjunky wrote:Would you be eligible for the scholarship if next year you were able to pull up your grades.

If you REALLY want to be an attorney I would start networking like crazy a la Network Bible.

If not so much then quit.
Ok not to toot my own horn too much, but this is the credited response. Read the linked thread. If your willing to do all or most of what's on that list then your mid level rank won't matter. If your not, if you stargey is hope for a scrape from OCI or apply to want ads, get out now before you take on too much more debt. Who you know beats where you go or what your grades are. I did really well in law school, 13th in my class, but its never come up in any interview or offer I've had. In fact I've never had to give somome a resume before they offered me the job and I worked in firms/ law orgs since 2L. Once people know you well enough, they know your potential (or not) without having to see a piece of paper and they will hire or recoemdn you based on that alone. But if you can't do the above, and honsetly some folks can't, get out or its going to be bleak. Good luck on your decision.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:12 pm

again with the attempt at humor

OP: sorry for derailing the thread so much

niko1

New

Post by niko1 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Matthies wrote:
trialjunky wrote:Would you be eligible for the scholarship if next year you were able to pull up your grades.

If you REALLY want to be an attorney I would start networking like crazy a la Network Bible.

Ok not to toot my own horn too much, but this is the credited response. Read the linked thread. If your willing to do all or most of what's on that list then your mid level rank won't matter. If your not, if you stargey is hope for a scrape from OCI or apply to want ads, get out now before you take on too much more debt. Who you know beats where you go or what your grades are. I did really well in law school, 13th in my class, but its never come up in any interview or offer I've had. In fact I've never had to give somome a resume before they offered me the job and I worked in firms/ law orgs since 2L. Once people know you well enough, they know your potential (or not) without having to see a piece of paper and they will hire or recoemdn you based on that alone. But if you can't do the above, and honsetly some folks can't, get out or its going to be bleak. Good luck on your decision.
Thanks for your informative post on that other site. I volunteer at legal aid, but I wasn't even aware of things like Inns of Court or that students could attend CLE classes, so I will definitely look into them when I get back. I'm also on the law school's Moot Court team, so I'm hoping I can segue that into some opportunities as well

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri May 28, 2010 9:30 pm

I swore the other day to avoid all things URM/AA related from now on, but why on earth was race injected into this thread? Somebody bring me up to speed because I am really confused.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri May 28, 2010 9:38 pm

niko1 wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
niko1 wrote:Last week I got back my final few grades for Spring of 1L year and I fell short of my GPA requirement to keep my $12,000 a year scholarship. Unless I can successfully beg the administration to give me a semester of probation, I am out of $24,000 for the remaining two years. I go to a state school ranked in the 50s. With my new GPA, my rank will likely be dead middle of my class of 250+. Most employers who come to OCI at my law school won't even interview you if you're not top 20%.

The way I look at it, if I stay in school without my scholarship, I'm gonna rack up close to $70,000 in debt and might not get hired for up to half a year after I graduate. My only likely job prospects will be a state gov't position where I will make $35k starting, or a smaller private firm where I will be worked just as brutal as the Big Law firms but for half the salary.
Dropout, join the circus, and call yourself "Drama Queen".
Look I have serious question. That scholarship was why I could even go to law school at all. My parents have no money, I'm the first person in my family to get any kind of degree beyond community college

So if you're not going to give any constructive comments, please go **** off and die
Well congrat-a-fucking-lations. See, all the rest of us here, our parents are all paying for law school...

We're ALL on loans.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri May 28, 2010 9:39 pm

And OP, maybe I missed it, but what school do you go to (or approximate tier is fine). I'm guessing lower T1 or lower, since your scholly was not guaranteed, but that information might help give advice.

Ronaldo

New

Post by Ronaldo » Fri May 28, 2010 9:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:And OP, maybe I missed it, but what school do you go to (or approximate tier is fine). I'm guessing lower T1 or lower, since your scholly was not guaranteed, but that information might help give advice.

he said school in the 50's

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri May 28, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm thinking Cardozo. OP said he/she was median. Below top 40% loses scholly at 'dozo.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 28, 2010 9:44 pm

niko1 wrote:
Matthies wrote:

Thanks for your informative post on that other site. I volunteer at legal aid, but I wasn't even aware of things like Inns of Court or that students could attend CLE classes, so I will definitely look into them when I get back. I'm also on the law school's Moot Court team, so I'm hoping I can segue that into some opportunities as well

I'm "meh" on in school groups/clubs I mean they are good in their own way, but they are NOT networking. The people you interact with, your classmates, are actually your competition for jobs.

Not saying quite the moot court AT ALL. Just saying make sure you get OUT of school and meet real working lawyers and judges, those are the folks who have jobs to offer. Moot court looks good on your resume, but the whole point in networking is not having to rely on your resume to get you the interview in the first place.

Be sure to join the local bar associations and get involved. be sure to play the student angle, many of these opeertunties will be low cost or no cost for students, but sometimes you have to ASK them to get a discount, or offer to help out to go for free.
Find out if NITA offers any classes in your city, if so, find out who runs them, then beg borrow, give away your free labor to get in them. NITA is moot court for real lawyers and judges. Those classes cost tons (like several thousands of dollars), but I was able to get into some for free by volunteering, acting as a witness, begging, and after showing the NITA guy I was serious he just started calling me and asking me to help out.

Monday call and make an appoiment to see career services and ask them point blank "how can I get more involved with the legal community" if they don't give you solid advice, come back here and find me. Also check out the Guerilla Tactics book, read it now.

Thing is finding a legal job, a good legal job, is not that hard so long as you understand that finding that job is a fulltime job in and of itself and starts NOW, like right now, at end of 1L. For this point on it should be priority number 1, grades 2, food 3, sleep 4, sex, meh I gave that up for my career.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri May 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Mike12188 wrote:again with the attempt at humor

OP: sorry for derailing the thread so much
--ImageRemoved--

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Fri May 28, 2010 9:56 pm

You may want to take a 1 year leave of absence for "personal reasons".

If you think you still want to be an attorney, get a job as a law clerk or para during that time. No need to get the para certificate to do so.

At the end of that year, you can decide whether or not dropping out is what you want to do.

niko1

New

Post by niko1 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:And OP, maybe I missed it, but what school do you go to (or approximate tier is fine). I'm guessing lower T1 or lower, since your scholly was not guaranteed, but that information might help give advice.
I don't know where Tiers start and end; my school is ranked by US News and World Report in the 50s. My scholarship was merit-based and thus not guaranteed. I got some scholarship offers from other schools I applied to based on merit, and none of those were guaranteed either. I assume the only guaranteed scholarships are full-rides and affirmative action ones

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”