Living Situation During 1L

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sternc

Living Situation During 1L

Postby sternc » Tue May 25, 2010 7:39 pm

So after basically thinking I was going to live alone as a 1L for the past few months, one of my best friends from undergrad landed a job where I will be going to school next year. Over the past few months I have talked to plenty of people and the common consensus is it seems best to live alone during your first year. I want to gauge some more of yall's thoughts. I've known this guy since I was in the 4th grade and actually lived with him as a freshman in college. We had no problems getting along, but he is a mess. He will be working from 8-5 monday-friday and possibly trying to pick up a few bar shifts during the week to make more money. In undergrad we would go out most nights of the week (especially before senior year). I don't expect him to be going out nearly like that, but I can not guarantee it. Also, I will be doing most of my studying at the library. Here is my question. Is it worth it to live with one of my oldest friends to save some level of social sanity in what I expect to be a very committed 1L experience or just to bite the bullet, live alone, and guarantee that I will have no chance of interruption or added temptation to ignore a reading or whatever? I know its hard to answer this without knowing everything about us, but any help or personal anecdotes related would help. Thanks.

JWicker10

Re: Living Situation During 1L

Postby JWicker10 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:42 pm

I'd live with him. It'll likely save you money, and having a social outlet could be really beneficial to your sanity. You just need to be disciplined about studying and going out, and your roommate needs to understand and accept your responsibilities and be respectful of them (bringing people over late, being loud, etc.).

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:46 pm

yeah, i was planning to live alone too until an old friend moved into town. i'm taking my chances with a little extra stress from having a roommate in exchange for having someone to talk to other than TLS every night.

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 pm

Last edited by solotee on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barolo

Postby Barolo » Tue May 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Eeek. Sounds like it would be fun. That's a problem. Only a lowly 0L, but I'm going to be living alone. I think that having control of my environment will make a big difference. Your friend sounds as though he is at a drastically different place in life. This sounds more oil and water than oil and vinegar.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sat May 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Should be fine, especially since you won't be living with another 1L; I can easily seeing that situation becoming a stress echo chamber.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Sat May 29, 2010 5:34 pm

If social sanity is what you're concerned with, you will have plenty of opportunity to make new friends (aka network) once school starts. You'll be plenty social then.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:39 pm

Living with my fiance and 2 dogs. I can't escape them haha. Although he does know what the ground rules will be once classes start, and has an incentive not to break them (me succeeding and, ya know, getting a job and contributing to the household after LS).

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat May 29, 2010 7:43 pm

I lived with my best friend of 10 years senior year of UG and it completely destroyed our friendship. Living with a best friend almost always ends in some sort of disaster, and that doubles with stress from law school. I would avoid it if possible... and I say this as someone who will be living with my girlfriend next year in law school :)

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:20 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I lived with my best friend of 10 years senior year of UG and it completely destroyed our friendship. Living with a best friend almost always ends in some sort of disaster, and that doubles with stress from law school. I would avoid it if possible... and I say this as someone who will be living with my girlfriend next year in law school :)

Curious if we both end up contemplating murdering our SOs by end of 1L :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”