Which Dressler book?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
corporatelaw87

Which Dressler book?

Postby corporatelaw87 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Which one is better, Understanding Law or the Black Letter Law Series. Also for Understanding Law there is a student edition and regular, would I get student?

stjaba

Re: Which Dressler book?

Postby stjaba » Mon May 24, 2010 9:58 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:Which one is better, Understanding Law or the Black Letter Law Series. Also for Understanding Law there is a student edition and regular, would I get student?

Understanding Law is the regular hornbook. Not sure what the BLL series is, but it seems like a commercial outline. Understanding Law is the Dressler supplement you hear about all the time. Student edition is fine, there's no need for the regular edition, it likely covers topics way further in depth than in the typical 1L course. Just be aware that certain professors prefer certain supplements- it's a good idea to ask your professors if there's a preferred supplement before spending your money.

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:04 pm

stjaba wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:Which one is better, Understanding Law or the Black Letter Law Series. Also for Understanding Law there is a student edition and regular, would I get student?

Understanding Law is the regular hornbook. Not sure what the BLL series is, but it seems like a commercial outline. Understanding Law is the Dressler supplement you hear about all the time. Student edition is fine, there's no need for the regular edition, it likely covers topics way further in depth than in the typical 1L course. Just be aware that certain professors prefer certain supplements- it's a good idea to ask your professors if there's a preferred supplement before spending your money.

Thanks! This is all assuming my prof uses the Dressler Casebook. Although even if he doesn't it still may be a good idea to purchase. Also Lexus Nexis has outlines for subjects that use the Understanding Law Series. Could I just use that, or would full books be better?

stjaba

Postby stjaba » Mon May 24, 2010 10:08 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:
stjaba wrote:

Thanks! This is all assuming my prof uses the Dressler Casebook. Although even if he doesn't it still may be a good idea to purchase. Also Lexus Nexis has outlines for subjects that use the Understanding Law Series. Could I just use that, or would full books be better?

The outlines are just that- outlines. I've used those Lexis outlines a little bit, and they're okay, but no substitute for the hornbook. The hornbooks contain discussion, elaboration, etc. that most likely will not be in the outline. Ultimately, though, there's hardly any magic bullet supplements in law school(besides Chemerinsky in Con law and Glannons in Civ Pro). Don't get too worried about getting the right supplement. In my experience, the most important prep tools are practice/old exams.

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Mon May 24, 2010 10:18 pm

go on vacation. get a summer job. learn a hobby. You seriously need to stop trying to discern every last detail about law school before getting there and just chill out or you are going to be the one who burns out after week 2.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 24, 2010 10:38 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specificintent

Postby specificintent » Mon May 24, 2010 11:31 pm

I found the Understanding Crim Law to be very helpful while putting my outline together. Also a good idea if your professor is using the Crim Law casebook.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 25, 2010 1:32 am

betasteve wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
samiseaborn wrote:go on vacation. get a summer job. learn a hobby. You seriously need to stop trying to discern every last detail about law school before getting there and just chill out or you are going to be the one who burns out after week 2.

None of this will help you. Law school is not a contest to cram the most law into your head. People absolutely dominate exams without ever touching hornbooks or supplements. I don't dispute that they are useful, especially first semester, but you'd be well served by chilling and/or slowing your roll.

These. 0Ls—This is some of the best advice on TLS for you.

0L psychosis—study before school, bag random pussy in law school—it doesn't work in that order.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue May 25, 2010 1:34 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
betasteve wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
samiseaborn wrote:go on vacation. get a summer job. learn a hobby. You seriously need to stop trying to discern every last detail about law school before getting there and just chill out or you are going to be the one who burns out after week 2.

None of this will help you. Law school is not a contest to cram the most law into your head. People absolutely dominate exams without ever touching hornbooks or supplements. I don't dispute that they are useful, especially first semester, but you'd be well served by chilling and/or slowing your roll.

These. 0Ls—This is some of the best advice on TLS for you.

0L psychosis—study before school, bag random pussy in law school—it doesn't work in that order.

True, both can be done in school.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”