E&Es have cases? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
corporatelaw87

Bronze

E&Es have cases?

Post by corporatelaw87 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:45 pm

I plan on ordering E&Es because I hear they're generally the best. Just curious do the E&Es discuss cases or just mostly BLL? Also being that it is a supplement and I figure everything is in there for a reason, how do you choose what to put into your outline per topic. Obviously if your prof doesn't discuss a certain part of the subject don't even read it, but if a topic that your prof does talk about has 6 pages on it in the supp how do you know/choose what to include?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: E&Es have cases?

Post by vanwinkle » Sun May 23, 2010 10:26 pm

Usually the E&E will have a footnote mentioning that a certain case is where a principle comes from or is the most commonly cited example of that principle. However, they really do not discuss cases for the most part; they just discuss the current state of the law in general. In order to know what case is responsible for what you're studying you'd better be familiar with the major cases, at least.

However, the professor should talk about the major cases in class. You will know what is important because the professor will discuss it, or at least tell you it's important to know, or put it on the syllabus as assigned reading. Really, once classes are going, it's not that hard to figure out what will and what won't be covered in your class, unless your professor is especially difficult or strange.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Sun May 23, 2010 10:28 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:I plan on ordering E&Es because I hear they're generally the best. Just curious do the E&Es discuss cases or just mostly BLL? Also being that it is a supplement and I figure everything is in there for a reason, how do you choose what to put into your outline per topic. Obviously if your prof doesn't discuss a certain part of the subject don't even read it, but if a topic that your prof does talk about has 6 pages on it in the supp how do you know/choose what to include?
Yes they have cases. As to you other question (or series of questions), just put the bare minimum in your outline. That's the point of them. Its not an exact science, you'll figure out exactly what needs to go in the outline as the semester progresses.

AlasLavinia

New

Post by AlasLavinia » Mon May 24, 2010 8:47 pm

0L? How could you know this early?

Learn the material your professor teaches. In some classes, you will have multiple choice questions taken directly from the readings ("What was the holding in Nedow?"). In other classes, you don't have to read any cases at all, merely write controlled and insightful essays on principles of law like prior restraint. There is no way to know this until you see the syllabus, meet the professor, learn about the final, etc.

The E&E series is good for Contracts, although there are a lot of typos and the prose is clumsy. This edition is helpful, because the goal of Contracts is to learn a large body of non-integrated doctrine. Civil Procedure is also helpful, because the subject matter can be confusing for students who can't see the forest for the trees.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”