Question about synching OneNote

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mmmadeli

Question about synching OneNote

Postby mmmadeli » Sat May 22, 2010 11:59 pm

So I have a MacBook, and I'm thinking of getting some kind of cheapish netbook for class, so I guess I would go with a student license of MS Office, which would come with OneNote, which is theoretically great, since I know that's what people love. Except, I'm a bit worried about notes/outlines/etc interfacing with my regular computer. I know you can save the OneNote files as .htm and sync them with Dropbox, but presumably you can't edit them that way. I guess I could start up my Mac with Bootcamp like I would for an exam, but I've never actually done that before so I don't have a good sense of how laborious it is. Does this sound like a losing strategy all around?

bk1

Re: Question about synching OneNote

Postby bk1 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:16 am

Isn't OneNote Windows only?

mmmadeli

Postby mmmadeli » Sun May 23, 2010 12:46 am

Well yeah, and I would primarily be using it on a Windows netbook, but there are ways to run windows on a Mac, if I'm not mistaken. But I haven't used any of them, so I'm curious about syncing and ease-of-use.

eandy

Postby eandy » Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 am

They're coming out with a OneNote for mac. Too lazy to look it up, you can do it yourself.

mmmadeli

Postby mmmadeli » Sun May 23, 2010 1:47 am

Brilliant! I will.

ETA Hmm, my google-fu yielded nothing except laments that it doesn't exist and doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon, but I'll keep my eyes peeled anyway.
Last edited by mmmadeli on Sun May 23, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sun May 23, 2010 1:53 am

I would just use EverNote. Its compatible with both Mac and PC and it is easy to share the notes between them since they are automatically uploaded to their server. Plus its free.

RUQRU

Postby RUQRU » Sun May 23, 2010 5:40 am

This thread appeared on the popular Mac Rumors forum:

With MS Office 2010 coming will Mac Office 2008 be updated?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=753365

Quote:
The big question is: why won't they include MS OneNote with Office for Mac???
When considering our application portfolio, there are a few major questions that we need to answer:
* How expensive is it to develop this application? That is, how many people will we need to work on it, and for how long?
* What is the user need for this application? How many people want it? What are they doing because they don't have it?
* What impact does it have on our sales?

This is from Nadyne Richmond | user experience researcher
Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit

Looks like there is no commitment to bring OneNote to the Mac OS X environement.

enygma

Postby enygma » Mon May 24, 2010 9:52 am

buy vmware fusion and use it to run windows at the same time as mac os. put onenote on it. it's what i do and it works marvelously. with spaces you can just set one of the desktops to be windows and it's fantastic.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:34 pm

eandy wrote:They're coming out with a OneNote for mac. Too lazy to look it up, you can do it yourself.

Really? I don't wish to come off as an internet keyboard commando in asking this of you, but could you provide a source? There have been blog rumors on and off over the years about MS possibly releasing OneNote for office. Office 2011 for Mac isn't slated to have OneNote to the best of my knowledge.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Mon May 24, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm sure this is answered elsewhere, but since this thread is somewhat related... is it necessary to buy a copy of Windows in order to run bootcamp/fusion on a Mac?

enygma

Postby enygma » Mon May 24, 2010 10:18 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:I'm sure this is answered elsewhere, but since this thread is somewhat related... is it necessary to buy a copy of Windows in order to run bootcamp/fusion on a Mac?

if you're going to run windows on bootcamp or fusion, yes. unless you want to pirate it. but that would be illegal, and none of us has ever done anything illegal before and certainly never will.

mmmadeli

Postby mmmadeli » Tue May 25, 2010 7:21 pm

enygma wrote:with spaces you can just set one of the desktops to be windows and it's fantastic.

You can?? That's brilliant. But doesn't VMware Fusion not work for exams?

enygma

Postby enygma » Tue May 25, 2010 9:49 pm

mmmadeli wrote:
enygma wrote:with spaces you can just set one of the desktops to be windows and it's fantastic.

our exams are just on word, so i can't really speak to any specific exam programs. however, if you're worried about that, you can set vmware fusion to run off a bootcamp partition. so if you have to boot exclusively into windows for exams, you can do that and not have to worry about installing two copies of windows or something ridiculous like that.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue May 25, 2010 9:56 pm

enygma wrote:
mmmadeli wrote:

our exams are just on word, so i can't really speak to any specific exam programs. however, if you're worried about that, you can set vmware fusion to run off a bootcamp partition. so if you have to boot exclusively into windows for exams, you can do that and not have to worry about installing two copies of windows or something ridiculous like that.

ENYGMA!!!!! My favorite Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer is back! :P

enygma

Postby enygma » Fri May 28, 2010 12:58 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
enygma wrote:
mmmadeli wrote:

ENYGMA!!!!! My favorite Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer is back! :P

it's been a busy year :mrgreen:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”