Credit Card for law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
andreea7

Bronze

Re: Credit Card for law school

Post by andreea7 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
andreea7 wrote:
dood wrote:The Best Credit Card Sign-up Ever:
http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/ ... onus-ever/

I paid for my book and health insurance with this credit card, got the 100K in miles, paid the balance immediately with student loan refund check. The miles are usable on AA; 25K for domestic round trip...I used 2 round trips already, probably going to Europe with the other 50K. You need to monitor sites like frequentflier.com or slickdeals.net to catch these specials. Without catching a special, AMEX typically has the best rewards + prestige + ease of use (i.e. more widely accepted than Discover) + unbeatable customer service.
Awesome awesome! thanks
It's no longer 100k, they changed it to 30k I just looked into it. The 100k you got is awesome though.
Oh, I discovered that too when I applied. But it is still a great deal because only 25K is needed for a trip and most credit cards will never give you enough for a trip upfront

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 4:04 pm

andreea7 wrote:
Matthies wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Matthies wrote:Hi since you are all on TLS in means that likely 75% of you are pretentious duchbags. So I have an offer that will appeal to your mammalian desire to show off, join the American Bar Association as a student member for $25 then get an ABA credit card to flash to all the UG chicks at the bar. --LinkRemoved--
It says students not eligible. Bummer...
Stduents are not elgiable for the 2 for 1 airline tickets, but there is a link for students to apply for the card, so i think that studnets part just applies to the 2 for 1
Ah, my pretentious duchbag heart is so happy looking at this ABA credit card
Cool huh?

sarahd

New

Post by sarahd » Fri May 21, 2010 4:11 pm

JG Hall wrote: Anyway, my relationship with my rewards plus gold amex has been the most loving and longest of my life. Not cash back, but can use points for pretty much everything (including miles), and get good bonuses for traveling and ticketmaster events. If you are going to be traveling home-school (or any other consistent route) on a particular airline, though, I'd get a miles card for that particular carrier (or a member of its alliance). Never been a big fan of cash rewards cards in general, though. Seem skimpy vs. points.
I have to second the gold amex rewards card. I am taking my family to Disney for free next week between Amex and hilton points. The customer service is phenomenal and just can't be beat. There is an annual fee, but depending on how much you charge on a monthly basis, it more than pays for itself with the points.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:56 am

mountaintime wrote:Amazon.com Chase credit card: 3% cash back for amazon purchases, 2% for restaurants gas stations and drug stores, 1% everywhere else, 2X for the first 90 days, no annual fee, plus $30 (or is it $40?) off your next amazon purchase (I signed up for this right before buying a bunch of PTs and PS Bibles on amazon).

I think all these chase reward cards are pretty similar. just be sure to pay your bill on time.
How does Amazon.com Chase compare to AMEX Costco?

Taking aside AMEX Costco's requirement that you have a Costco membership, it seems like the rewards are pretty close.

1% cashback for gas after 1st year
3% cashback for restaurants
2% cashback for travel
1% cashback for everything else

Books are going to come out pretty darn high obviously. Can anyone confirm that everything bought on Amazon.com's gets cashback regardless whether it's from a 3rd party? The 2% cashback sounds really tempting as I'm planning to bring my car down with me to school. I don't travel often and I buy a lot of my stuff from Amazon.com. I don't plan to buy a notebook anytime soon, so I can do without AMEX's 1-year notebook warranty extension.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Also, when filling out an application, how do you confront things such as income and occupation.

For instance, I am accepted and have placed my seat deposit, but I have not been matriculated yet. If I put student and the name of the school, am I going to be denied from the card because I am not technically a student there yet?

And as far as income goes, I'm not going to have an income per say except for what I get from loan money. In that case, do I put the dollar ammount of what I expect my discretionary income from loan money is going to be? I haven't received the ammount yet, so I'm not sure what it will be.

Some cards offer around 10-20% additional cashback from some retailers. Which is very tempting, because these include Barnes and Noble and Apple. And B&N carries most textbooks, and I think I'm going to get a Macbook Pro for school.

Like zeth, I am also very interested in the way the Amazon card works in the particulars of whether or not purchases are made directly form amazon, or by sellers on amazon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cake

New

Post by cake » Mon May 24, 2010 10:48 am

jdubb990 wrote:Like zeth, I am also very interested in the way the Amazon card works in the particulars of whether or not purchases are made directly form amazon, or by sellers on amazon.

You get 3% from both Amazon and Amazon Marketplace sellers.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon May 24, 2010 10:58 am

Matthies wrote:Hi since you are all on TLS in means that likely 75% of you are pretentious duchbags. So I have an offer that will appeal to your mammalian desire to show off, join the American Bar Association as a student member for $25 then get an ABA credit card to flash to all the UG chicks at the bar. --LinkRemoved--
Yeah, but Bank of America=evil reincarnated. Not as evil as Chase, but still evil.

As for frequent flyer points, I never pay for Y tickets with miles. Only for upgrades and/or premium (J or F) tickets.

EDIT: Realize this isn't Flyertalk so Y is airline-speak for coach, J for business and F for first.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:12 am

andreea7 wrote:
Matthies wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
It says students not eligible. Bummer...
Stduents are not elgiable for the 2 for 1 airline tickets, but there is a link for students to apply for the card, so i think that studnets part just applies to the 2 for 1
Ah, my pretentious duchbag heart is so happy looking at this ABA credit card
:lol: Same.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:18 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
Yeah, but Bank of America=evil reincarnated. Not as evil as Chase, but still evil.

As for frequent flyer points, I never pay for Y tickets with miles. Only for upgrades and/or premium (J or F) tickets.

EDIT: Realize this isn't Flyertalk so Y is airline-speak for coach, J for business and F for first.
Why are BoA and Chase evil?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon May 24, 2010 11:30 am

starstruck393 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:

They're about as trustworthy as used car dealers. High fees, low rates (for deposit accounts), that kind of thing. Then again, so are all the big banks.

Billy Blanks

Bronze

Post by Billy Blanks » Mon May 24, 2010 11:47 am

I was looking at the details for WorldPoints on the ABA Visa card and it says that the card accrues 1 point per qualifying dollar spent on retail purchases. It also says that cashback/merchandise rewards don't start until 2,500 points and you have to wait for 15,000 points to redeem air rewards. Barring some initial point bonanza (like 15x normal points on casebooks), it seems like it would take forever to get the good stuff with the card. I'm just putting this out there so that everyone can make an informed decision that balances the "ooh, ABA card" sentiment with the "I need free stuff/cash" sentiment.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:05 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:

They're about as trustworthy as used car dealers. High fees, low rates (for deposit accounts), that kind of thing. Then again, so are all the big banks.

And they say lawyers are the scum of the Earth... :lol:

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:09 pm

cake wrote:
jdubb990 wrote:Like zeth, I am also very interested in the way the Amazon card works in the particulars of whether or not purchases are made directly form amazon, or by sellers on amazon.

In that case, that puts Amazon's card on the top of my list, and if I decide I want it, imma buy all my books off of it come fall. Amazon tends to have some the best prices on just about everything anyway!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:22 am

cake wrote:

Is this the Chase or the Citi card?

baby lawyer

New

Post by baby lawyer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 am

I have the Discover More Rewards card and am pretty happy with it - but as an earlier poster noted, they highlight specific areas for cashback every few months (gas, groceries, home improvement, hotels, etc) so it's kind of annoying when the timing doesn't work out for big purchases. Also, I have a Visa "just in case" someone doesn't take Discover - it's happened a few times.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:23 am

Got my first CC about a month ago and am a little confused by my statement and the whole process... I am probably going to be screwed by some major interest.

wpc1532

New

Post by wpc1532 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:17 am

romothesavior wrote:Got my first CC about a month ago and am a little confused by my statement and the whole process... I am probably going to be screwed by some major interest.
Just remember this: pay the balance in full every month or you'll get hit by 20+% interest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”