Where do you purchase books? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jdubb990

Bronze

Where do you purchase books?

Post by jdubb990 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:54 am

I will be a 1L this coming fall. From my understanding, casebooks, E&E's, etc. can all become very expensive. I was just wondering if stores like Barnes and Nobles or Border's will be able to order casebooks and E&E's for me? Will I likely be limited to my law schools bookstore, or are there other specialty booksellers who deal specifically with law related material?

shutterbug

Bronze

Re: Where do you purchase books?

Post by shutterbug » Fri May 21, 2010 9:08 am

jdubb990 wrote:I will be a 1L this coming fall. From my understanding, casebooks, E&E's, etc. can all become very expensive. I was just wondering if stores like Barnes and Nobles or Border's will be able to order casebooks and E&E's for me? Will I likely be limited to my law schools bookstore, or are there other specialty booksellers who deal specifically with law related material?
I've found that even with shipping costs, Amazon's prices win out on about 95% of casebooks and E&E's.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri May 21, 2010 10:07 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Fri May 21, 2010 10:10 am

Last edited by JG Hall on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

tortbook

New

Post by tortbook » Fri May 21, 2010 12:05 pm

The time to buy E&E's is now. Look at how many are for sale on Amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... x=examples+

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:10 pm

tortbook wrote:The time to buy E&E's is now.
WTF? No.

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Fri May 21, 2010 12:16 pm

RVP11 wrote:
WTF? No.
why not?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri May 21, 2010 12:36 pm

RVP11 wrote:
WTF? No.
Lets be clear. The time to buy them is now. The time to read them is much, much later.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Renzo wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
WTF? No.
Lets be clear. The time to buy them is now. The time to read them is much, much later.
I don't even think the time to buy them (or anything) is now. You can't know which supplements will be helpful until you know who you have, at the very least. Often you can't even tell until you're a month or so into the class. With some professors you won't need a supplement at all and you're just adding reading that you don't really need.

I bought a ton of supplements in May/June before 1L and most of them got very little use. As good as the CivPro E&E is supposed to be, it was one of them that I found superfluous.
Last edited by RVP11 on Fri May 21, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Fri May 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Last edited by JG Hall on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri May 21, 2010 1:14 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
WTF? No.
I don't even think the time to buy them (or anything) is now. You can't know which supplements will be helpful until you know who you have, at the very least. Often you can't even tell until you're a month or so into the class. With some professors you won't need a supplement at all and you're just adding reading that you don't really need.

I bought a ton of supplements in May/June before 1L and most of them got very little use. As good as the CivPro E&E is supposed to be, it was one of them that I found superfluous.
I suppose. I've just noticed that used copies will cost 10x what they do now near the end of the semseter.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 1:18 pm

barristerbooks.com

Its not the cheapest place out there, but they have many hard to find supplements, plus they ship wicked fast.

Also I need to e-mail Ken about this, but on anouther website i used to frequent BB would give like a 25% dicount ocde verey few months to forum mebers.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri May 21, 2010 1:46 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Fri May 21, 2010 6:35 pm

dood wrote:Funny and true story:

1. Ordered casebook from Amazon for $120
2. Casebook doesn't get here but class starts
3. Quickly ordered an old edition of casebook on Amazon for $4, just as a temp solution
4. The 1st casebook is finally determined as "lost" after MIA for 1.5 months and I get refunded the $120
5. Finish the semester with the old casebook and own civ pro

Lesson learned: I'm only buying old editions of casebooks from now on at 3% of the current edition cost.
Projected savings: $4000 over the course of 2 years.

WIN?
Definite win. Except Con Law could get a little hairy.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:48 pm

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/ar ... ripped-off

Don't know if any books I'll need are on either of the sites they list in this article (about midway down the page, they talk about college textbooks) but my friend that is finishing up undergrad uses that alibris site and saves a ton. He told me about a few texts that he got new for almost half off the list price.

2013Hopeful

New

Post by 2013Hopeful » Tue May 25, 2010 4:14 am

I rent mine from http://www.chegg.com/ But I only do this for the semester long classes. For the year long classes I buy the books on Amazon or something similar.

mikesterns

New

Post by mikesterns » Thu May 27, 2010 11:31 am

When I went to law school I found amazon and half.com to be the best in terms of cost-savings. That aside, towards the end of law school I bought fewer and fewer books.

In Beat Law School, which I picked up on amazon recently, the author argues for spending the minimum on books and study aids. He advises getting older editions and finding the difference from the new edition, if any from Lexis or from friends. He talks about a kid who never bought casebooks and used the online statutes together with wikipedia and did just fine. That may be a bit extreme but I found that the costs of texts and study aids quickly got out of control and there are certainly ways of limiting the damage.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seancarpe

New

Post by seancarpe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:10 pm

there's this new niche opening up in textbook market where you can rent them instead of buying them. most of the time its cheaper to rent than it is to buy and sell the book back to the campus bookstore (if they're taking it!). http://www.bookrenter.com and http://www.chegg.com are the vendors that seem to have the market down best. i just placed my order through chegg with this promotional coupon code someone gave me, CC127927. it gave me 5% off and an extra $5 for selling the books i bought from campus. (i've checked with the site and displaying the coupon code is fine).

the downside is they don't always have all the supplemental material and you can't write in the books/workbooks, but you can highlight and i've found making photocopies can get around this. anyways, just wanted to throw that resource out there--not a lot of people know about it and it really does save money.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:49 pm

Matthies wrote:barristerbooks.com

Its not the cheapest place out there, but they have many hard to find supplements, plus they ship wicked fast.

Also I need to e-mail Ken about this, but on anouther website i used to frequent BB would give like a 25% dicount ocde verey few months to forum mebers.
They offer discounts on FB if you friend them, usually from a few weeks prior to the start of the semester, to a few weeks after. BB also offers looseleaf versions of some texts, for those interested in carrying only the necessary pages with them.

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:52 pm

when is a good time to buy our books?

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:26 am

clint4law wrote:when is a good time to buy our books?
+1, right now or wait till classes start?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”