Living Alone Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
snowpeach06

Gold

Living Alone

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Right now I'm torn between two apartments, a one bedroom and a two bedroom, and I was just curious about what law students have to say about living alone. Is not getting a roomie something you regret (is it lonely, too expensive, boring), or has it been beneficial in some way? Thanks for any advice.

doza

New

Re: Living Alone

Post by doza » Thu May 20, 2010 2:38 pm

I would love to hear what people say about this, too. I was wondering this myself.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Thu May 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Living by yourself is more expensive but i am a very clean person and find that i would be miserable if i had a roommate. Even in undergrad I only had a roommate one time. So it is up to you. If i want to talk to people ill go out or call someone to come over. Just my 2 cents.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Thu May 20, 2010 2:42 pm

Would you be living with another law student? I think that would make a huge difference. If you have someone to study with that would probably be beneficial. However, having a non-law school roommate who is out enjoying life/bringing people over during finals may be more of a distraction.

PS I moved into my first 1 bedroom and LOVE living alone. Never thought I would.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu May 20, 2010 2:43 pm

I am planning to live by myself and then with my SO, whenever she moves down. I feel that there is some certainty associated with living alone -- that you won't come home from a long weekend away to find out that your [former] room-mate and his friends moved everything out of the apartment while you were gone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:46 pm

I feel like this is just a matter of preference. I lived with two roommates during college but for the past year have lived alone. I personally hate living alone. I get bored and lonely. I'll be living with two roommates (both law students) next year and am pretty excited. Having other people in the apartment to talk to when you're getting frustrated or need a study break will help keep me sane like it did in college. If you go this route though, I'd be sure to make sure your potential roommates feel the same way. Also, I'm paying at least $250 less a month in rent/utilities for a three bedroom as opposed to a one bedroom. I'm already taking out massive loans so watching the cost of rent is crucial for me.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 pm

CmonSD wrote:Would you be living with another law student? I think that would make a huge difference. If you have someone to study with that would probably be beneficial. However, having a non-law school roommate who is out enjoying life/bringing people over during finals may be more of a distraction.

PS I moved into my first 1 bedroom and LOVE living alone. Never thought I would.
For me I am a very interactive person and need to be around people. However with that being said when I am studying or doing anything other than having a good time I like to have my own space. For mean that means more than just my own room but my own place to call my own. It is stupid because it is expensive, however law school cost so much anyway id rather be happy and able to study. Also I love coming home an knowing that everything is going to be the way i left it. Also i am going to get a puppy when i get back from Mexico in aug. So my lil pup will be my roommate so to speak.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 pm

Another question to ask if I should not live alone, is: does one roomie suffice? Or is more somehow better?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu May 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Bert wrote:I am planning to live by myself and then with my SO, whenever she moves down.
I'm planning to live with your SO until she moves down. :P

Seriously though, I really liked living alone in LS, well becuase I hate people, but also you get enough endless, meaningless law schoolm chat with your friends at school, tlaking about that stuff at home would get old. But if you do get a roomate then get anouther LS, becuase normal people will get sick of you talking about that shit long before LS will.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Thu May 20, 2010 3:07 pm

This first year has sucked, in terms of the roommate arrangement. If you can afford it, just live alone. Even if the potential roommate is also a grad/professional student, if its not necessary, don't do it. There are just too many things to coordinate. If you are the neat, clean one out of the two, it will drive you mad.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 pm

macattaq wrote:This first year has sucked, in terms of the roommate arrangement. If you can afford it, just live alone. Even if the potential roommate is also a grad/professional student, if its not necessary, don't do it. There are just too many things to coordinate. If you are the neat, clean one out of the two, it will drive you mad.

+100000

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:10 pm

macattaq wrote:This first year has sucked, in terms of the roommate arrangement. If you can afford it, just live alone. Even if the potential roommate is also a grad/professional student, if its not necessary, don't do it. There are just too many things to coordinate. If you are the neat, clean one out of the two, it will drive you mad.
Did you not talk to your roomie ahead of time and discuss things like neatness, sleeping patterns, study habits, partying ect?

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:12 pm

I have an overall preference for living alone but I live with roommates now and the situation is great. I actually think having non-law school roommates will be beneficial to my mental health.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:14 pm

I think another valid point is whether or not you tend to study at home or not. I can't concentrate at home and will probably spend a lot of time at the LS doing work so that tension when you're studying in your room may not be there. It just depends on your and your roommate's habits. (Also, we found an apartment where we each have our own bathroom. Crucial!)

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:30 pm

I started out thinking I wanted to live alone, but I just signed a lease for a 4/4 :? We'll see how that goes!
Last edited by missvik218 on Thu May 20, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Thu May 20, 2010 3:38 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Did you not talk to your roomie ahead of time and discuss things like neatness, sleeping patterns, study habits, partying ect?
Of course I did. Then the bitch went crazy.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:39 pm

I'm the not-so-clean one in these scenarios and it isn't fun to have someone who's super uptight about it hound you all day either. So, if the choice is between living alone and living with someone you don't know (or aren't compatible with), live alone if you can afford it.

Personally, I just bought a house and moved my parents in with me because it made more sense for them financially. I won't get too much in the way of saving on housing since they don't work, but at least I'll get home-cooked meals and laundry service when I need it (and I'm sure I'll need it as a 1L). :D

They're pretty cool as roommates, and I know I can live with them without a problem. It should be nice to come home to family and get a break from all the law school stress. They've got their own floor with their own bathroom and usually aren't up and about when I get home from work (soon to be replaced by school/library where I plan to study). So, most days I feel like I'm living alone. I might be getting the best of both worlds.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm

webbylu87 wrote:I think another valid point is whether or not you tend to study at home or not. I can't concentrate at home and will probably spend a lot of time at the LS doing work so that tension when you're studying in your room may not be there. It just depends on your and your roommate's habits. (Also, we found an apartment where we each have our own bathroom. Crucial!)
Oh, if you have your own bathroom you are set. I had roommates for awhile in UG and you never know what you were going to find in the shower. :shock:

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu May 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Alone is easier cause you set the rules and you decided if you want to enforce them.
However, I am the type of person that needs to share those "A ha!" moments whenever I learn something new, so I try to keep a list of people that I can call.

If you go alone, keep friends and show interests in them so they can be there for you when you need them. With roomies, well, they might get sick and tired of hearing your crap. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, lol.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Thu May 20, 2010 3:56 pm

I've had a roommate for most of my life, until now.

I LOVE living alone. It's $200 more for my rent, but the amount I save of food, electricity, repair, water, etc make it so very much worth it.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:02 am

This decision is keeping me up at night. I just keep going back and fourth "the one bedroom is so much nicer/easier, but, I'll be bored/lonely." Ohh god. I wish I was a better decision maker, or just had something that kind of made the decision for me. I kind of thought asking around would enlighten me to something I didn't realize before, but I think it really just comes down to preference of freedom or companionship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri May 21, 2010 1:03 am

macattaq wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Of course I did. Then the bitch went crazy.
Happend to me too. But I'm married to her, so I'm kind of stuck.

v. dentata

New

Post by v. dentata » Fri May 21, 2010 1:06 am

doza wrote:I would love to hear what people say about this, too. I was wondering this myself.
Me too!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:45 am

It depends on your personality. I could never live alone because I'd just become a hermit and end up having zero human interaction ever (I also like roommates for safety purposes and cheapness purposes). I have friends that could never live alone because they are such extroverts that being alone actually creates stress. But if you've lived alone before or you think it would be the most positive experience for you and you can afford it, why not?

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:53 am

stintez wrote:
CmonSD wrote:Would you be living with another law student? I think that would make a huge difference. If you have someone to study with that would probably be beneficial. However, having a non-law school roommate who is out enjoying life/bringing people over during finals may be more of a distraction.

For me I am a very interactive person and need to be around people. However with that being said when I am studying or doing anything other than having a good time I like to have my own space. For mean that means more than just my own room but my own place to call my own. It is stupid because it is expensive, however law school cost so much anyway id rather be happy and able to study. Also I love coming home an knowing that everything is going to be the way i left it. Also i am going to get a puppy when i get back from Mexico in aug. So my lil pup will be my roommate so to speak.
It's not the living alone that's the ridiculous part of this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”