can someone explain the whole write on process?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shmoo597
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby shmoo597 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:46 pm

I'm a 1L, but I've stayed totally clueless to this whole process. Can someone explain what the competition is like? You have 1 week to do what exactly? Does it involve a lot of blue book corrections?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby Matthies » Wed May 19, 2010 6:03 pm

shmoo597 wrote:I'm a 1L, but I've stayed totally clueless to this whole process. Can someone explain what the competition is like? You have 1 week to do what exactly? Does it involve a lot of blue book corrections?


Its going to vary from school to school what it includes, bets way is to go tto your schools LR webpage and they should have something that expailns the write process for your school.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:16 pm

As Matthies says it varies, but most schools have 1) a bluebooking/editing component and 2) a writing component. Some schools omit the bluebooking/editing component, but virtually all have the writing component.

The bluebooking component will either be in the form of a quiz (i.e., bluebook these sources), or more likely an editing exercise in which they give you an article rife with errors and ask you to edit it for both citations and style.

The writing component will be some sort of essay or memo in which you are asked to either resolve a hypothetical case, take a position or a controversial issue, or something of that sort. It usually involves sorting through a bunch of source material, deciding what you find interesting, and writing about it.

stad2234
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby stad2234 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:20 pm

I know that some schools will allow you to grade-on to law review. Where do you typically have to be in the class to have this opportunity?

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:28 pm

stad2234 wrote:I know that some schools will allow you to grade-on to law review. Where do you typically have to be in the class to have this opportunity?


Few top schools have straight grade-ons. For most there are pure write-on spots, and some sports which are a combination of write-on and grades. For some schools, this basically means if you have top grades, you are basically on if you make a good effort. For others, it genuinely is a hybrid process and you can compensate for great-but-not-stellar grades by doing well on the write-on.

If a school follows the former process ("legitimate effort"), you probably have to be at the very top - i.e., top 20-25 people in the class. If the school follows the latter, you probably still need to be somewhere in the top third to quarter to stand a shot at one of the grade-conscious spots.

Edit: These are guesses since nobody actually knows who grades on and who writes on, but I would say that's the "conventional wisdom."

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
stad2234 wrote:I know that some schools will allow you to grade-on to law review. Where do you typically have to be in the class to have this opportunity?


Few top schools have straight grade-ons. For most there are pure write-on spots, and some sports which are a combination of write-on and grades. For some schools, this basically means if you have top grades, you are basically on if you make a good effort. For others, it genuinely is a hybrid process and you can compensate for great-but-not-stellar grades by doing well on the write-on.

If a school follows the former process ("legitimate effort"), you probably have to be at the very top - i.e., top 20-25 people in the class. If the school follows the latter, you probably still need to be somewhere in the top third to quarter to stand a shot at one of the grade-conscious spots.

Edit: These are guesses since nobody actually knows who grades on and who writes on, but I would say that's the "conventional wisdom."

Our write-on is pure. You write the best shit, you win.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby Grizz » Thu May 20, 2010 12:24 am

thesealocust wrote:Here's how UVA does it:

1) the top 25 GPAs are offered a spot (thus the GPA cutoff changes every year, usually in the low 3.7X range). If spot 25 is a tie, then it's possible for more than 25 to grade on. That translates to roughly speaking the top 6-7% of the class.
2) After that, the best 15 writing competitions (10 page essay from hundreds of pages of source material + editing/bluebook checking a pre-written 10 page piece) with no reference at all to grades or GPA
3) After that, up to 5 people who had top 1/3 GPA (~3.42) and top 1/3 writing competition scores + wrote a diversity essay might get a spot. But not all of these spots are used.

Interestingly, they tell nobody how they got on but do publish the GPA cut off - so people will know whether or not they are in camp 1, but not whether or not they are in camp 2 or 3 if they make it (unless they declined to write the essay, but we were encouraged to write the statement even if our diversity was an interesting undergraduate background as opposed to something more traditionally associated with diversity hiring, so it's a bit of a black box).

I have no idea how it compares to other schools.


So what percentage of UVA students end up with LR?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 20, 2010 12:30 am

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jp0094
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: can someone explain the whole write on process?

Postby jp0094 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:37 am

Write on is the process by which the instructions tell you your line limit = roughly 10 double spaced pages, when in reality the line limit = ~7 pages, leaving you with -3 pages of space.

EDIT: apparently wordcount auto adds endnotes, which explained the discrepancy. Lack of sleep is fucking with me.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baller31, Beercules, GeneralLawyer, LeNut and 14 guests