The Super Helpful Little Things Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
malfurion

Bronze

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Post by malfurion » Mon May 17, 2010 5:41 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Pretty awesome, but I think it weighs like 13 pounds and is gonna be rather pricy.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 5:42 pm

malfurion wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Pretty awesome, but I think it weighs like 13 pounds and is gonna be rather pricy.
WANT!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon May 17, 2010 6:23 pm

Matthies wrote:
malfurion wrote:--ImageRemoved--

WANT!
+878,967,867,899,877,689,087,895,675,456

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 6:48 pm

Oh and good lighting. Seriously, you do so much reading and its tiny text that with bad lighting you will get worn out fater and get headaches sooner. Have a good light on your desk

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Mon May 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Matthies,
Is that an Aeron?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 8:58 pm

LjakW wrote:Matthies,
Is that an Aeron?
yea

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Mon May 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Matthies wrote:
Is that an Aeron?
yea
Would that count as a "Super Helpful (not so Little) Thing"?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 9:19 pm

LjakW wrote:
Matthies wrote:
Is that an Aeron?
yea
Would that count as a "Super Helpful (not so Little) Thing"?
Honestly I can't recemend it, I mean its a comfy chair and all, but not near worth what i paid for it, I would not buy it again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon May 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 17, 2010 10:06 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Mon May 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Matthies wrote:This is the same desk, but how it looks now with a desktop as my primary and configured more for gaming/work than school/study

that kitteh looks up to no good.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
Matthies wrote:This is the same desk, but how it looks now with a desktop as my primary and configured more for gaming/work than school/study

that kitteh looks up to no good.
He's the IT director, mad at all the bandwith i'm using to torrent stuff

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Chupavida wrote:If you can sport the cash/hardware for three screens, 3 >>>>>> 2. You have a primary screen and two reference/supporting screens rather than splitting evenly between two. I bought my side screens at university surplus for $10 each because they were "broken."

Tiny desk is tiny.
Yea you the door desk i posted above for all that stuff!

ChinaMex

New

Post by ChinaMex » Mon May 17, 2010 10:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:How much do you think an ideal set-up for a dual monitor situation would cost? (i.e. an additional monitor, docking station, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, etc...)
lol wut? It costs as much as a monitor does. There's no reason to buy a docking station, wireless keyboard, or mouse.

You buy the monitor, you plug it in. Unless you're running a max with weird ass ports, all modern PCs and most modern apple computers w/ the right adapter can hook into a secondary monitor.
If you have a Mac Book you can probably buy a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. Here are some examples:
http://reviews.cnet.com/output-cables/s ... ncol;lst;1
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A#overview

If you're in doubt, you might want to take your Mac into an Apple store and ask the person what adapter you would need and then write the name down. Instead of buying it from the Apple store, you should probably research it on cnet or google for better prices.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon May 17, 2010 10:17 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon May 17, 2010 10:22 pm

I ran three monitors for a little while... These days, with modern GPU technology and OSs, all it takes is a second video card, at least one of them with two outputs. Two of these Radeon HD 4770s would support four monitors. If you want you could drop the cash on a Matrox TripleHead2Go (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/). It effectively splits a single output into three. But I think the best bang-for-your-buck these days is AMD's new "Eyefinity" schtick (--LinkRemoved--). All their new cards support it, as long as your monitors are DisplayPort. The cheapest Eyefinity card on Newegg is $45 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product). I don't actually understand the DisplayPort concept though, because monitors don't actually come with "DisplayPort." Do you always need an adapter? Or does it fit into an HDMI port or something?

Anyway, two of these 19" monitors at $120 a pop, with that $45 HD 5450, would set you back $285 for a from-scratch dual-monitor setup. With that card, you wouldn't be doing any gaming or anything, but it could do schoolwork and decode video just fine.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 10:33 pm

vexion wrote:I ran three monitors for a little while... These days, with modern GPU technology and OSs, all it takes is a second video card, at least one of them with two outputs. Two of these Radeon HD 4770s would support four monitors. If you want you could drop the cash on a Matrox TripleHead2Go (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/). It effectively splits a single output into three. But I think the best bang-for-your-buck these days is AMD's new "Eyefinity" schtick (--LinkRemoved--). All their new cards support it, as long as your monitors are DisplayPort. The cheapest Eyefinity card on Newegg is $45 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product). I don't actually understand the DisplayPort concept though, because monitors don't actually come with "DisplayPort." Do you always need an adapter? Or does it fit into an HDMI port or something?

Anyway, two of these 19" monitors at $120 a pop, with that $45 HD 5450, would set you back $285 for a from-scratch dual-monitor setup. With that card, you wouldn't be doing any gaming or anything, but it could do schoolwork and decode video just fine.
Dell has jumped on the Displayport abdnwagon (not mac mini dispaly port) all thier new montiors and higher end laptops have them. I'm runing display port from dual 5870's in crossfire to a dell 30 inch montoir at 2560x1600, which can only be done with DVI-D or display port cuase HDMI won't handel it, hence why display port is poping up more and more

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Mon May 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Matthies wrote:
vexion wrote:I ran three monitors for a little while... These days, with modern GPU technology and OSs, all it takes is a second video card, at least one of them with two outputs. Two of these Radeon HD 4770s would support four monitors. If you want you could drop the cash on a Matrox TripleHead2Go (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/). It effectively splits a single output into three. But I think the best bang-for-your-buck these days is AMD's new "Eyefinity" schtick (--LinkRemoved--). All their new cards support it, as long as your monitors are DisplayPort. The cheapest Eyefinity card on Newegg is $45 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product). I don't actually understand the DisplayPort concept though, because monitors don't actually come with "DisplayPort." Do you always need an adapter? Or does it fit into an HDMI port or something?

Dell has jumped on the Displayport abdnwagon (not mac mini dispaly port) all thier new montiors and higher end laptops have them. I'm runing display port from dual 5870's in crossfire to a dell 30 inch montoir at 2560x1600, which can only be done with DVI-D or display port cuase HDMI won't handel it, hence why display port is poping up more and more
I... I'm so incredibly jealous. I was asking this on [H] the other day, mainly because I won't be dropping cash on a 30" monitor until I'm a big fancy-pants lawyer, but what do you use a 30" monitor for? How far away to you have to sit to not scar your retinae? Great experience, or greatest experience in PC gaming?

I feel dumb, because I let this whole new "DisplayPort" protocol pass me by. I don't really understand it. If I have a bunch of DVI monitors, would I just need some sort of adapter/splitter, so it's like, one DisplayPort OUT connection from my GPU, and splits the video signal to multiple DVI INs?

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:44 pm

Wow. Suddenly this Asus notebook+HP ZR24W monitor setup has suddenly gained more significance.

I haven't studied at home in a while and I totally get what you mean about distractions at the library. I'm debating whether it's worth trying out studying at home for the first couple of days. I could probably get more mileage out of having a dual-monitor setup already as opposed to staring at a 13.3" Mac screen all day at the library.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Mon May 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Matthies wrote:
He's the IT director, mad at all the bandwith i'm using to torrent stuff
:lol: :lol:

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 10:48 pm

vexion wrote:
Matthies wrote:

I... I'm so incredibly jealous. I was asking this on [H] the other day, mainly because I won't be dropping cash on a 30" monitor until I'm a big fancy-pants lawyer, but what do you use a 30" monitor for? How far away to you have to sit to not scar your retinae? Great experience, or greatest experience in PC gaming?

I feel dumb, because I let this whole new "DisplayPort" protocol pass me by. I don't really understand it. If I have a bunch of DVI monitors, would I just need some sort of adapter/splitter, so it's like, one DisplayPort OUT connection from my GPU, and splits the video signal to multiple DVI INs?
Best gaming ever! Right now i can run every game i have at max resulations, max everything and is just runs so soomth. Not sure what you mean, the 5870s have a displayport on them, which i run to the displayport on the monitor. I think they make displyport to DVI-D though, so if you run from GPU to montior you could do that. I have not gotten bakc there in a while but I think each GPU has a displayport, HDMI and 2 DVI-D's (but in crossfire those ports ionly owrk on one card)

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon May 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Chupavida wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Wow. Suddenly this Asus notebook+HP ZR24W monitor setup has suddenly gained more significance.

I haven't studied at home in a while and I totally get what you mean about distractions at the library. I'm debating whether it's worth trying out studying at home for the first couple of days. I could probably get more mileage out of having a dual-monitor setup already as opposed to staring at a 13.3" Mac screen all day at the library.
TBH, I found myself doing a lot of homework on my MBP with spaces. With 4 virtual desktops and handy hotkeys, you can get much of the benefit of multiple monitors in a small package.

Ie, Word doc in space 1, Browser in 2, PDF in 3, and iTunes/whatever in 4.
Those were my thoughts too.

Mac & spaces vs. PC laptop+24" monitor.

As long as I can get used to using 4 spaces and easily recalling whatever's in spaces 1-4, I should be fine. I'm not a fan of studying in my own bedroom as it just tempts me to take unnecessary naps. If I had a separate office room, that would be another thing. Unfortunately, chances are that I'll be rooming in a 1-room studio. I guess it's down to Mac n' spaces.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”