The Super Helpful Little Things

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon May 17, 2010 3:41 pm

macattaq wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:This thread title is totally racist against Mexican immigrants.


I'm pretty sure they have bigger things to worry about, seeing as they are being arrested and locked up for being brown.


I'm thinking he probably meant Asian immigrants.














(BTW, for those of you scoring at home, this post was one of my sarcastic ones)

User avatar
PSLaplace
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby PSLaplace » Mon May 17, 2010 3:44 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Ginger1492 wrote:I'm not much of a tech person so this may be obvious but I thought I would ask.

Is it possible to hook up a second monitor to your laptop? That way you could have a laptop for class and an additional monitor at home (to use two screens at once) without having to buy a second computer system.

Yeah, it's pretty easy actually.

But then it becomes awkward in terms of peripherals. Do you have an external keyboard and mouse? If so, you can't see the laptop screen well. If not, it's awkward typing on the laptop and looking at your other screen.


I don't find it awkward at all. Here's my setup:

Image

K, well then let's take it one step further, for us technically deficient tards;

How do you have one thing up on the monitor, and another on the laptop? I just assumed the monitor would show whatever is currently up on the main computer screen.


It really is quite simple. If you're running Windows, you can adjust your display settings to support two monitors. You indicate to your computer which side the second display is on. Your mouse will then move seamlessly from one display to another, as if it was all one continuous screen.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby philosoraptor » Mon May 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:OK, well then let's take it one step further, for us technically deficient tards;

How do you have one thing up on the monitor, and another on the laptop? I just assumed the monitor would show whatever is currently up on the main computer screen. No sarcasm here.... sorry. :|
Modern operating systems are usually pretty good at detecting a second monitor when it's plugged in and asking you what you want to do with it -- usually your options are cloning the display (for presentations), displaying on the external monitor only, or extending your desktop onto the secondary monitor. On my laptop you can cycle through with Fn-F8 or something. If all else fails, it's usually easy to find in your OS's display properties.

Multiple monitors is the best thing ever, btw, and if you have connection/cable options, HDMI>DVI>VGA.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon May 17, 2010 3:47 pm

PSLaplace wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
Ginger1492 wrote:I'm not much of a tech person so this may be obvious but I thought I would ask.

Is it possible to hook up a second monitor to your laptop? That way you could have a laptop for class and an additional monitor at home (to use two screens at once) without having to buy a second computer system.

Yeah, it's pretty easy actually.

But then it becomes awkward in terms of peripherals. Do you have an external keyboard and mouse? If so, you can't see the laptop screen well. If not, it's awkward typing on the laptop and looking at your other screen.


I don't find it awkward at all. Here's my setup:

Image

K, well then let's take it one step further, for us technically deficient tards;

How do you have one thing up on the monitor, and another on the laptop? I just assumed the monitor would show whatever is currently up on the main computer screen.


It really is quite simple. If you're running Windows, you can adjust your display settings to support two monitors. You indicate to your computer which side the second display is on. Your mouse will then move seamlessly from one display to another, as if it was all one continuous screen.

OK! That actually is pretty cool!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby sophistry » Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Arg... Another way for me to burn through my loans....

Thanks for the tip. Dual monitors is an awesome idea.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:24 pm

How much do you think an ideal set-up for a dual monitor situation would cost? (i.e. an additional monitor, docking station, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, etc...)

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby vexion » Mon May 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Even a nice 22" widescreen monitor costs $150-160 if you shop online.

My thread became a tech thread, something I'm actually good at. :P

If you're running a modern Windows iteration (Vista or 7,) the Display Properties options for a multi-monitor setup are fairly idiot-proof. Your monitors are numbered by Windows (it'll even pop a giant "1" and "2" up) so you can tell it which is on the right and which is on the left (or left-middle-right if you like immersive flight simulators. Or top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right if you're a day trader...) Laptops have been covered, most have an external display port that you can set to clone or extend the desktop. I can't speak to Macs, but I'm sure it's close to the same, except your second monitor is pearly white and costs twice what it should. (zing!)

If you're going to get a second monitor for your desktop, make sure your video card has two ports. Most modern ones do, but not all onboard chips do. If you have an older or a cheaper PC, you might have to buy a second video card or forego dual monitors.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:38 pm

vexion wrote:Even a nice 22" widescreen monitor costs $150-160 if you shop online.

My thread became a tech thread, something I'm actually good at. :P

If you're running a modern Windows iteration (Vista or 7,) the Display Properties options for a multi-monitor setup are fairly idiot-proof. Your monitors are numbered by Windows (it'll even pop a giant "1" and "2" up) so you can tell it which is on the right and which is on the left (or left-middle-right if you like immersive flight simulators. Or top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right if you're a day trader...) Laptops have been covered, most have an external display port that you can set to clone or extend the desktop. I can't speak to Macs, but I'm sure it's close to the same, except your second monitor is pearly white and costs twice what it should. (zing!)

If you're going to get a second monitor for your desktop, make sure your video card has two ports. Most modern ones do, but not all onboard chips do. If you have an older or a cheaper PC, you might have to buy a second video card or forego dual monitors.


Is a docking station + wireless keyboard/mouse necessary? I get why it would make it a lot easier to use rather than typing on the laptop. I'm just wondering how much all of this would likely cost. Any suggestions as far as this equipment goes?

User avatar
mytwocents
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby mytwocents » Mon May 17, 2010 4:44 pm

vexion wrote:Even a nice 22" widescreen monitor costs $150-160 if you shop online.

My thread became a tech thread, something I'm actually good at. :P

If you're running a modern Windows iteration (Vista or 7,) the Display Properties options for a multi-monitor setup are fairly idiot-proof. Your monitors are numbered by Windows (it'll even pop a giant "1" and "2" up) so you can tell it which is on the right and which is on the left (or left-middle-right if you like immersive flight simulators. Or top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right if you're a day trader...) Laptops have been covered, most have an external display port that you can set to clone or extend the desktop. I can't speak to Macs, but I'm sure it's close to the same, except your second monitor is pearly white and costs twice what it should. (zing!)

If you're going to get a second monitor for your desktop, make sure your video card has two ports. Most modern ones do, but not all onboard chips do. If you have an older or a cheaper PC, you might have to buy a second video card or forego dual monitors.


I'm borderline computer-illiterate, so I apologize if this is actually a dumb question. But do I (a Mac user) definitely need to use a Mac monitor if I plan on doing the dual monitor thing? I love my Mac to pieces, but you are 1000% correct about the cost issue. If I can find a cheaper, non-Mac option that works with my computer I plan on using it.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Yes, two monitors is good, one 30 inch is better :)

Also the super cheap but huge desk:
Image
$25 interior door from Home Depot on two $50 file cabinets. FREAKING HUGE desk space to spread all your crap out on.

4-color pens for book briefing instead of carrying around 19 highlighters.
[http://www.amazon.com/BIC-4-Color-Refillable-Assorted-1-Count/dp/B000F2PFPS

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 17, 2010 4:50 pm

While were on all things tech, what backup passport would you recommend?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 4:51 pm

mytwocents wrote:
vexion wrote:Even a nice 22" widescreen monitor costs $150-160 if you shop online.

My thread became a tech thread, something I'm actually good at. :P

If you're running a modern Windows iteration (Vista or 7,) the Display Properties options for a multi-monitor setup are fairly idiot-proof. Your monitors are numbered by Windows (it'll even pop a giant "1" and "2" up) so you can tell it which is on the right and which is on the left (or left-middle-right if you like immersive flight simulators. Or top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right if you're a day trader...) Laptops have been covered, most have an external display port that you can set to clone or extend the desktop. I can't speak to Macs, but I'm sure it's close to the same, except your second monitor is pearly white and costs twice what it should. (zing!)

If you're going to get a second monitor for your desktop, make sure your video card has two ports. Most modern ones do, but not all onboard chips do. If you have an older or a cheaper PC, you might have to buy a second video card or forego dual monitors.


I'm borderline computer-illiterate, so I apologize if this is actually a dumb question. But do I (a Mac user) definitely need to use a Mac monitor if I plan on doing the dual monitor thing? I love my Mac to pieces, but you are 1000% correct about the cost issue. If I can find a cheaper, non-Mac option that works with my computer I plan on using it.


No you don't need to use a Mac monitor, so long as the monitor you get has the right plug in, or you get an apadater to go from Mac display port to monitor

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 4:52 pm

trialjunky wrote:While were on all things tech, what backup passport would you recommend?


What do you mean, like passport HDD?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Best thing in the world - sounds dumb, but buy some decent tuberware. Cook massive meals 2-3 times a week, tuberware it, bring it to school and save tons of $.
I spend Sunday nights making tons of stuffed peppers or huge quantities of pasta. It'll also save you from eating whatever cheap garbage food is around the school.

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Mr. Pablo » Mon May 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Matthies wrote:
mytwocents wrote:
vexion wrote:Even a nice 22" widescreen monitor costs $150-160 if you shop online.

My thread became a tech thread, something I'm actually good at. :P

If you're running a modern Windows iteration (Vista or 7,) the Display Properties options for a multi-monitor setup are fairly idiot-proof. Your monitors are numbered by Windows (it'll even pop a giant "1" and "2" up) so you can tell it which is on the right and which is on the left (or left-middle-right if you like immersive flight simulators. Or top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right if you're a day trader...) Laptops have been covered, most have an external display port that you can set to clone or extend the desktop. I can't speak to Macs, but I'm sure it's close to the same, except your second monitor is pearly white and costs twice what it should. (zing!)

If you're going to get a second monitor for your desktop, make sure your video card has two ports. Most modern ones do, but not all onboard chips do. If you have an older or a cheaper PC, you might have to buy a second video card or forego dual monitors.




I'm borderline computer-illiterate, so I apologize if this is actually a dumb question. But do I (a Mac user) definitely need to use a Mac monitor if I plan on doing the dual monitor thing? I love my Mac to pieces, but you are 1000% correct about the cost issue. If I can find a cheaper, non-Mac option that works with my computer I plan on using it.


No you don't need to use a Mac monitor, so long as the monitor you get has the right plug in, or you get an apadater to go from Mac display port to monitor


I have a second screen for my mac that isn't an apple product. You can get adapters at places like Radio-Shack or Best-Buy.
I also want to support the 2-screen method. I was thinking of going for 3, but that might be like wearing two popped collars.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23858
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Thirteen » Mon May 17, 2010 5:00 pm

vexion wrote:Even a nice 22" widescreen monitor costs $150-160 if you shop online.

My thread became a tech thread, something I'm actually good at. :P

If you're running a modern Windows iteration (Vista or 7,) the Display Properties options for a multi-monitor setup are fairly idiot-proof. Your monitors are numbered by Windows (it'll even pop a giant "1" and "2" up) so you can tell it which is on the right and which is on the left (or left-middle-right if you like immersive flight simulators. Or top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right if you're a day trader...) Laptops have been covered, most have an external display port that you can set to clone or extend the desktop. I can't speak to Macs, but I'm sure it's close to the same, except your second monitor is pearly white and costs twice what it should. (zing!)

If you're going to get a second monitor for your desktop, make sure your video card has two ports. Most modern ones do, but not all onboard chips do. If you have an older or a cheaper PC, you might have to buy a second video card or forego dual monitors.


Thanks. I'm definitely going to look into doing this in the fall.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 5:02 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
vexion wrote:Even a nice 22" widescreen monitor costs $150-160 if you shop online.

My thread became a tech thread, something I'm actually good at. :P

If you're running a modern Windows iteration (Vista or 7,) the Display Properties options for a multi-monitor setup are fairly idiot-proof. Your monitors are numbered by Windows (it'll even pop a giant "1" and "2" up) so you can tell it which is on the right and which is on the left (or left-middle-right if you like immersive flight simulators. Or top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right if you're a day trader...) Laptops have been covered, most have an external display port that you can set to clone or extend the desktop. I can't speak to Macs, but I'm sure it's close to the same, except your second monitor is pearly white and costs twice what it should. (zing!)

If you're going to get a second monitor for your desktop, make sure your video card has two ports. Most modern ones do, but not all onboard chips do. If you have an older or a cheaper PC, you might have to buy a second video card or forego dual monitors.


Is a docking station + wireless keyboard/mouse necessary? I get why it would make it a lot easier to use rather than typing on the laptop. I'm just wondering how much all of this would likely cost. Any suggestions as far as this equipment goes?


You don't really need a docking station. You can use a USB hub if your laptop has a video out (most newer ones do). You also don't really need a wireless mouse/keyboard if you want to go cheap, just get corded since you won't be moving them much. This was my set up before I went back to a desktop after law school. When I came home from school I just plugged in the USB hub, the HDMI plug and the speakers, then everything was connected. (this desk is just behind the large white door desk, I like having separate workstations rather than everything on one desk)

Image

bmontminy
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby bmontminy » Mon May 17, 2010 5:10 pm

If you have an HD TV, you have a second monitor. Just lug it next to your laptop (or vice versa) and connect.

User avatar
KingJames6
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby KingJames6 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Matthies wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
vexion wrote:Even a nice 22" widescreen monitor costs $150-160 if you shop online.

My thread became a tech thread, something I'm actually good at. :P

If you're running a modern Windows iteration (Vista or 7,) the Display Properties options for a multi-monitor setup are fairly idiot-proof. Your monitors are numbered by Windows (it'll even pop a giant "1" and "2" up) so you can tell it which is on the right and which is on the left (or left-middle-right if you like immersive flight simulators. Or top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right if you're a day trader...) Laptops have been covered, most have an external display port that you can set to clone or extend the desktop. I can't speak to Macs, but I'm sure it's close to the same, except your second monitor is pearly white and costs twice what it should. (zing!)

If you're going to get a second monitor for your desktop, make sure your video card has two ports. Most modern ones do, but not all onboard chips do. If you have an older or a cheaper PC, you might have to buy a second video card or forego dual monitors.


Is a docking station + wireless keyboard/mouse necessary? I get why it would make it a lot easier to use rather than typing on the laptop. I'm just wondering how much all of this would likely cost. Any suggestions as far as this equipment goes?


You don't really need a docking station. You can use a USB hub if your laptop has a video out (most newer ones do). You also don't really need a wireless mouse/keyboard if you want to go cheap, just get corded since you won't be moving them much. This was my set up before I went back to a desktop after law school. When I came home from school I just plugged in the USB hub, the HDMI plug and the speakers, then everything was connected. (this desk is just behind the large white door desk, I like having separate workstations rather than everything on one desk)

Image



This is a huge fucking printer. btw.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:19 pm

Matthies wrote:You don't really need a docking station. You can use a USB hub if your laptop has a video out (most newer ones do). You also don't really need a wireless mouse/keyboard if you want to go cheap, just get corded since you won't be moving them much. This was my set up before I went back to a desktop after law school. When I came home from school I just plugged in the USB hub, the HDMI plug and the speakers, then everything was connected. (this desk is just behind the large white door desk, I like having separate workstations rather than everything on one desk)


For clarity (because I am technologically challenged): the laptop you have sitting on the desk is powering the screen? Could you then open up the laptop and use it's screen as well as the other one?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 5:23 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Matthies wrote:You don't really need a docking station. You can use a USB hub if your laptop has a video out (most newer ones do). You also don't really need a wireless mouse/keyboard if you want to go cheap, just get corded since you won't be moving them much. This was my set up before I went back to a desktop after law school. When I came home from school I just plugged in the USB hub, the HDMI plug and the speakers, then everything was connected. (this desk is just behind the large white door desk, I like having separate workstations rather than everything on one desk)


For clarity (because I am technologically challenged): the laptop you have sitting on the desk is powering the screen? Could you then open up the laptop and use it's screen as well as the other one?


Yes, I just did not like haveing the two screens on at once, just distracted me, too ADD.
Last edited by Matthies on Mon May 17, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 5:25 pm

As to the printer, yea it rocks. I went through like 3 printers, buring them out, till i got that one. LOVE IT. Plus I have it networked so i can print from anywhere in the house, or even outside the house over the internet and have it waiting for me at home.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Matthies wrote:As to the printer, yea it rocks. I went through like 3 printers, buring them out, till i got that one. LOVE IT. Plus I have it networked so i can print from anywhere in the house, or even outside the house over the internet and have it waiting for me at home.


Badass. I need to figure that out. Although I did all undergrad without a printer and only printing on campus so I'm wondering if I can get away without a printer again for LS.

As for the two screens, I'd find the fact that the laptop screen and other screen aren't level mildly annoying. That's why i was thinking a docking station but this is a cheaper and admittedly probably better solution. I guess I could put it on a stack of books or something.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 5:29 pm

This is the same desk, but how it looks now with a desktop as my primary and configured more for gaming/work than school/study

Image

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: The Super Helpful Little Things

Postby Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 5:36 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Matthies wrote:As to the printer, yea it rocks. I went through like 3 printers, buring them out, till i got that one. LOVE IT. Plus I have it networked so i can print from anywhere in the house, or even outside the house over the internet and have it waiting for me at home.


Badass. I need to figure that out. Although I did all undergrad without a printer and only printing on campus so I'm wondering if I can get away without a printer again for LS.

As for the two screens, I'd find the fact that the laptop screen and other screen aren't level mildly annoying. That's why i was thinking a docking station but this is a cheaper and admittedly probably better solution. I guess I could put it on a stack of books or something.


I think if you need a printer depends more on where you plan to study, do most of your work. I could NOT study at school, I was way to ADD, every time someone walked by or a I saw a classmate I would get interrupted and would take me a while to get back int eh grove.

For some reason if I went into my office at home i could stay focused, so that's where i did all my studying. As to printing, well I did that at home, but I do remember the nightmare day of 1L when everyone's first brief was due, people were lined up like 10 deep at the school printers waiting for their copies to come out. WAY to stressful for me, I was really glad I printed it at home and brought it to school with me. I think like half my class was late that day because they were waiting for their papers and everyone else's to print.

You could get a laptop stand to set the montior at a same hieght, or just use the stand to use your laptop with a real keybaord

--ImageRemoved--




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cdotson2, d4d5c4, Mockingbird42 and 7 guests